Inlaks Scholarships provide the opportunity to young people with exceptional talent in any field to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills to operate in society, thus making them a future vehicle of change in their environment.
Scholarships are granted to bright young Indian students to read at top rated American, European and UK institutions for a full-time Masters, M.Phil or a Doctorate programme.
The Foundation has joint scholarship schemes with Imperial College London, Royal College of Art (RCA) London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) London, University of Cambridge via the Cambridge Trust, Sciences Po, Paris.
The Foundation does not give scholarships in the following subjects:
- Computer Science
- Business Studies
- Medicine, Dentistry and related therapies
- Public Health
- Fashion Design
- Film and Film Animation.
However, in the case of Imperial College, London, scholarships will be given for Engineering and Natural Sciences. Indian Studies as a subject is considered, only if it has contemporary relevance. In the field of Music, only applications for degrees in Western Classical singing will be considered. For Film, only applications for Documentary Filmmaking will be considered.
- The Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships are open to all Indian citizens who have been continuously resident in India for the past six months, at the time of making the scholarship application.
- Candidates are expected to hold a first class degree or equivalent from a recognized university/institution in India.
- Candidates applying for scholarships in art and design (fine/performing arts) will be judged primarily on the basis of their portfolio.
- Candidates who are Indian citizens and hold a good undergraduate degree from a recognized institution abroad, must have resided continuously or been employed or have been studying in India, for at least two years, post their return to India to be eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Candidates having a postgraduate qualification (e.g. Master’s or PhD) from an institution abroad are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who have already begun their postgraduate education at an institution abroad are also not eligible to apply.
- It is essential to have prior admission to the institution and course chosen at the time of the application. The Foundation will not consider candidates without admission or pending admission.
- Candidates can be a maximum of 30 years of age in the year of application.
- The scholarship applicants must be high achievers academically and otherwise and the Foundation will need proof of the same.
- The applicants are judged on not only their present achievements but also on their future potential. The Foundation prides itself on judging potential as much as performance.
How To Apply:
- Application for the scholarship has to be made online on the portal which is accessible from the website. No physical application forms will be accepted.
- The portal will be accessible from 16 January and the deadline to upload the complete information is Friday April 3, 2020, 23:59 IST.
- Only one submission per candidate will be accepted.
- Candidates applying in the field of architecture, fine and applied arts, and related subjects must upload their portfolio as a PDF file or share a website/online portfolio link.
- Candidates applying for film, dance, acting, and music (Western classical singing) must also upload their portfolio through a link.
- A clear declaration must be made of all funding received for the course. In case the offer of funding comes in after the application has been submitted, it will be necessary to inform the Foundation in writing via email.
- In case you have applied for another course, for which you are not applying to the Inlaks for funding, at the same or another institution and have an offer of funding from elsewhere, you declare the same even if it is not your intention to avail of that offer.
- Two letters of reference are mandatory, one of those must be an academic reference. It is preferred that the letters of recommendation be uploaded with your application. However, should your referee like to send in the letter in confidence they should email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must read as follows: Reference Letter | Name of Applicant | Email Address of Applicant. The deadline for reference letters being emailed directly is Friday April 3, 2020, 12 noon.
- In case the references are being sent directly by the referees then a word document should be uploaded in place of the reference letter stating your name, the referees name and the date by when the reference is expected. This step is mandatory for the form to be finally submitted.