Undoubtedly, Switzerland has some of the top-ranking universities in the world, namely ETH Zurich, École Polytechnique and the University of Zurich. To be able to study in these top-ranking universities, you will need a Switzerland student visa along with your passport. Non-European students will be required to obtain a study visa which will authorize them to enter the country legally and pursue a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD course. Without a student visa, you will not be able to travel to Switzerland and join the degree program you got accepted to.
Read this blog to find out how you to get a student visa for Switzerland from India and the Switzerland student visa requirements for Indian students.
Switzerland Student Visa Updates
- Since India is no longer considered a high-risk country for COVID, students from India can easily enter Switzerland effective from 2nd May 2022. Normal entry requirements are applicable.
- Due to the exceeding number of visa applications received, the Embassy of Switzerland in New Delhi has announced to increase its processing time to more than 10-15 working days, after a student has successfully submitted the visa application.
- The waiting time for visa interview appointments for new applicants is expected to be more.
- Providing biometrics is now mandatory for students who want to reapply for a Swiss student visa.
Types of Student Visa in Switzerland
Students who are not permanent residents of Europe but want to study in Swiss universities need a Switzerland study visa. Depending on your course duration, you can apply for either one of the two types of student visas:
Schengen Visa (C Type)
National Visa (D Type)
The course duration must be 3 months or less
Applies for students attending summer schools, language schools or seminars in Switzerland
The course duration must be more than 3 months
Applies to those students who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree in Switzerland
Switzerland Study Visa Requirements
While applying for a student visa for Switzerland from India, you will need to fulfil all the visa requirements. If you miss out on any of the visa requirements, then it may result in the cancellation of your Swiss student visa application. We have compiled a detailed Switzerland student visa checklist for your reference:
1. Documents Required
At the Swiss embassy, you must submit all the documents along with your visa application. The documents must be either in English or any of the national languages in Switzerland - French, Italian or German. Here is a list of Switzerland student visa requirements for Indian students:
- Letter of acceptance from any Swiss college/university
- Passport valid beyond 3 months the duration of stay
- Proof of payment for tuition fees
- Recent passport photographs
- Valid health insurance
- Proof of sufficient funds (bank statements, scholarships & education loans if any)
- Updated Curriculum Vitae or resume
- Letter of motivation
- Written commitment to leave Switzerland upon the completion of studies
2. Financial Requirement
In order to get the student visa, you must meet the Switzerland student visa financial requirements. You need to have sufficient funds in your personal bank account before the commencement of your course - CHF 21,000 or INR 1702671 OR USD 21,466. You must provide details of any education loans or scholarships received to fund your study in Switzerland.
3. Language Requirement
If you are a non-native English speaker, then you must take an English language proficiency test. The language tests for Switzerland study visa for Indian students are IELTS and TOEFL.
4. Band Score of IELTS
The majority of the universities in Switzerland accept IELTS as the primary language test. Thus, the band score for IELTS considered for Switzerland student visa requirements for Indian students is 5.5 for MBA and 6 for PG courses.
5. Minimum Age Requirement
If you want to apply for the long-stay National Visa (D Type) student visa in Switzerland, then you must be 18 years old or above. However, if your age is below 18 years and you want to apply for the short-stay Schengen Visa (C Type), then you would be required to submit a few additional documents: birth certificate, consent form signed by both parents and copies of their passports.
Suggested Read: Reasons for rejection of Switzerland student visa
Switzerland Student Visa Fees
To complete your visa application process, you must pay the Switzerland student visa fees. At the current exchange rates, the Switzerland study visa cost is CHF 88 (roughly INR 7168 or USD 90). In case you want to get a visa urgently, you will have to pay upto CFH 50 ( approx INR 4052 or USD 51).
Note - After you pay the Switzerland study visa cost, you are required to pay for your Swiss residence permit. The cost is 160 CHF (INR 12966 or USD 163 approx).
Switzerland Student Visa Process
If you are applying for a student visa for the first time, the process may seem a bit confusing. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you understand the Switzerland student visa process thoroughly:
- Step 1: Accept the university admission letter
- Step 2: Make an appointment at the Swiss embassy or consulate
- Step 3: Fill up the Switzerland student visa application form
- Step 4: Submit all the documents required
- Step 5: Pay the visa application fees
- Step 6: Attend the visa interview
- Step 7: Apply for a residence permit
Switzerland Student Visa Processing Time
After you submit all the documents and take the interview, you will have to wait for sometime before you receive your student visa confirmation. Switzerland student visa processing time is as follows:
- Schengen Visa (C Type) - It takes about 15 to 30 days to process your short-term type C Thus if you want to apply for the Type C student visa, start nearly 1.5 months before your scheduled date of arrival in Switzerland.
- National Visa (D Type) - It takes about 60 to 180 days to process your long-term type D visa. If you want to get a Type D student visa, then you must start nearly 6 months before you intend to arrive in Switzerland.
Where to Apply For Switzerland Student Visa?
After receiving the enrolment letter from your desired Swiss college/university, you must visit your nearest Swiss embassy or consulate and book an appointment. There is no online method available for the visa application process. You need to complete the whole process, from submitting documents to paying the visa fees, in the offline method only.
When to Apply For Switzerland Student Visa?
For the short-stay visa, it takes about 15-30 days to receive your student visa. On the other hand, it takes anywhere between 3 months to 6 months to receive your long-term student visa. Thus, you must begin your visa application as soon as you get your letter of enrolment and keep at least 3-6 months’ time in hand for the whole visa application process before your intended date of arrival in Switzerland.
Switzerland Student Visa Interview
This is the last step of your Switzerland student visa application. After submitting all the documents and paying the visa fees, you need to appear for your student visa interview. Once you successfully pass the interview round, you will receive your visa within 60 to 90 days.
Frequently Asked Questions On Switzerland Study Visa
Ques. How to get a student visa for Switzerland?
Ans. In order to get a student visa, you must visit the Swiss consulate or embassy and book your visa appointment. Meet all the Switzerland study visa requirements and wait to get your visa approved.
Ques. Can I work in Switzerland with a student visa?
Ans. In addition to a student visa, you will need a work permit from the immigration authorities to work in Switzerland. You can join a part-time job after you have completed 6 months of studies and can work upto 15 hours/week during the semesters.
Ques. Is IELTS required for Switzerland student visa?
Ans. IELTS or any other language test such as TOEFL iBT are required during your college/university application. It is optional for you to submit IELTS test scores during your visa application.
Ques. Is it easy to get Switzerland visa?
Ans. The process of getting a Switzerland study visa for Indian students is easy. You need to book an appointment with the Swiss embassy and fill out the application form. Submit all the necessary documents and wait to receive your student visa.
Ques. What is the student visa Switzerland cost?
Ans. The study visa cost for Switzerland is CHF 88 (roughly INR 7168 or USD 90). If you want to obtain an expedited visa, you need to pay upto CFH 50 ( approx INR 4052 or USD 51).