Pursuing a master’s degree from abroad and that too from a reputed international institution, such as MIT in USA or CMU holds major value when it is accompanied by international work experience. Besides, there are many countries that offer a quality MS education like the US, Canada, etc. Besides, each country has its own advantages. So if you’re on the lookout for which country is best for MS for Indian students, go through this article.
|Table of Contents|
Which Country is the Best for MS?
When you study in a new country, you learn new life skills, adapt to a different culture and grow as an individual. Best country for Masters for Indian students is a list that includes multiple countries like USA, Canada, Germany, etc, where they can acquire transferable skill sets, specialist knowledge, earning potential, and job/internship opportunities.
However, which one is best for you to pursue a master’s depends on your course preference, budget, scores on tests like GMAT/GRE/IELTS/TOEFL, financial budget, selection, visa approval, etc. So compare the top universities on these factors and make a productive decision.
Further, let’s check the list of top countries to study MS in detail.
Best Country to Study MS for Indian students?
The best country for MS in Mechanical Engineering and other master's programs are as follows. You can check out the various features of these best countries to study MS and top universities along with programs offered and select the suitable one.
1. United States (USA)
USA has always been the best and favourite study abroad destination for pursuing masters (MS). Its colleges provide quality education, flexible curriculum, internships, a variety of education options, funding sources, etc.
Students who fall under the “STEM” i.e Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths programs get a 3-year OPT period to work and recover the expenses they have incurred during studies within this period. As the return on investment is faster as compared to any other country.
Approx expenses in USA: INR 30-40 lakhs (tuition and living expenses) for 2 years. Besides, a student’s starting salary is approx USD 70,000–100,000.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of California – Berkeley
Top Courses offered in the USA:
- Masters in Business Administration: MBA in USA is one of the most popular courses pursued by international students. Harvard University, MA and Stanford University, CA are considered to be the top universities that offer specialisations in business administration.
- Engineering: Computer science, electronics, chemical and civil & structural engineering are the most popular engineering courses being pursued in the USA. Currently, the top universities offering them are the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Stanford University.
In this video, you will learn about some of the best universities in the US for MS according to specific states!
Suggested: How to choose MS Specialization?
2. United Kingdom (UK)
Master courses duration in the UK are shorter than in other countries; it only takes 1 year as compared to other countries without compromising the quality of education. Students can specialise in their field right from the beginning.
Besides, the UK houses two of the world's most famous universities in Oxford and Cambridge, as such degrees are recognized and respected the world over. UK comes in 2nd position after the USA for the highest number of universities, and if you do your MS from the UK, then you will save your time and money spent on tuition fees as compared to the US.
However, looking at the current work scenario, many students currently do not opt for the UK as there are few opportunities for a student to work in the country after their degrees are over. But if you're looking at a quality education, the UK is one of the countries that one can opt for.
Approx expenses in the UK: Rs. 22–28 Lakhs (tuition and living expenses) per year.
Top Courses offered in UK:
- Masters in Business Administration: Currently being one of the most sought-after courses in the UK, MBA is the top choice for students pursuing their masters in the UK. At present, the best universities offering it are Oxford and Cambridge, which are recognized and respected the world over.
- Natural Sciences: Emerging as one of the top choices as far as pursuing master is concerned, natural science is gaining prominence amongst international students in the UK. Currently, the top universities offering it are Oxford and Cambridge.
Australia has always been one of the best countries for MS abroad, and it's been the magnet for thousands of ambitious students around the world. As per a recent study, 7 out of the 100 top universities in the world are in Australia due to the quality of education being provided and its vast variety of courses.
Australian degrees can be divided into professional development masters, professional masters and traditional academic masters. Professional development masters degrees offer opportunities to specialise in a particular area. Like the UK, Australia also accepts 15 years of education, and only the IELTS / PTE exams are required.
Students don’t need to give GRE exams. Besides, it pulls students who are interested to settle in Australia as Australian Permanent Residency (PR), which is the fastest compared to all countries across the world. A student who studies for a 2 years master’s degree in the country avails of a 2-year stay back option of working, providing students with an opportunity to apply for PR and get hands-on experience in the international market.
Approx expenses in Australia: Rs. 25 – 35 lakhs (tuition and living expenses) for 2 years. A student’s starting salary would be approx AUD 70,000.
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales, Sydney
- Australian National University
- University of Sydney
Top Courses offered in Australia:
- Masters in Business Administration: MBA is considered the top course for students wanting to pursue a Masters in Australia. An MBA is considered an umbrella course as it covers multiple domains, such as finance, marketing etc. Currently, the top universities offering them are Melbourne Business School and the Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Engineering: Always being one of the favourite specialisations amongst international students, masters in civil, mechanical and electrical engineering have only gained prestige over the years. The top universities offering specialisations in engineering in Australia are the University of Melbourne and the University of South Wales.
Canada offers affordable education. The living standards and MS in Canada courses are among the highest in the world, but the cost of living and tuition fees for international students here are generally lower than in other countries, such as the USA, UK, and Australia.
Besides, GRE is not mandatory but highly recommended for top universities. However, only the IELTS exams are required. Canadian education is divided into two groups: Graduate Certificates and Master’s Degree. For graduate certificates, a student qualifies by holding a Bachelor’s Degree in the same field. These graduate certificates are offered by Canadian govt colleges and universities. They are also known to Indians as “PG Diplomas”. These courses offered by colleges are much cheaper, with the entry requirements being lower as compared to universities.
For a master’s degree, universities require 16 years of formal education, like in the USA. Students completing a 1-year program can avail of a 1-year stay-back option to work, whereas a 2-year program allows for a 3-year stay-back option.
Canada is in 2nd position in terms of providing Permanent Residency (PR) after Australia. It’s also known as a “Backdoor entry into the US”, as after a student gets his PR status, they can work in the USA.
Approx Rs. 16 lakhs (tuition and living expenses) per year. A student’s starting salary would be approx CAD 70,000. Below are the top universities and master's programs in Canada for international students.
- University of Toronto
- The University of British Columbia, Vancouver
- University of Waterloo
- Western University
Top Courses offered in Canada:
- Masters in Business Administration: Canada is currently the top choice of international students wanting to pursue their masters abroad due to the lower education cost and student benefits the country offers. MBA is the top choice of students pursuing Masters there, with McGill University and University of Toronto having the maximum intake.
- Dentistry: Being one of the oldest professions and safest courses pursued in Canada, Masters in Dentistry still continues to be a top choice for international students. Currently, the top universities offering specialisations in dentistry are the University of British Columbia and the University of Toronto.
- Engineering: One of the most common and sought-after courses in Canada that most international students opt for is Engineering. Specialisations in aerospace, mechanical, and electrical engineering have gained prominence over the years due to the vast career options it offers. At present, the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, and the University of Waterloo are the top universities offering them.
Germany in recent years, has become a major attraction for international students wanting to pursue their higher studies. Unlike other countries, Germany boasts of a vast variety of courses to choose from and internationally recognized university degrees which, coupled with a high employability ratio and affordable living standards, only adds to its value.
At present, there are more than 400 institutions offering higher education degrees, with more than 14,500 masters and bachelors degrees to choose from. The average cost of living in Germany could be attributed to around €700-800, which includes rent, food, transport and insurance.
As per a recent consensus, more than 357,000 students are currently pursuing their masters in Germany, and the number is only increasing yearly. International students wanting to work additionally to support themselves are permitted 90 full working days and 180 half working days and can earn around an average of 10 to 15 euros per hour.
Approx expenses in Germany: Rs 10. lakhs (tuition fees + cost of living) per year. Studying in Germany gets you well acquainted with their local language (German), which is widely spoken internationally.
- Technical University of Munich
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat München
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universitaet Heidelberg
- Karisruhe Institute of Technology
Top Courses offered in Germany:
- Engineering: At present, more than 71,000 international students are currently pursuing Engineering courses in Germany. Specialisations in mechanical, automotive and electrical engineering are mostly opted for. Currently the top universities offering them are the Technical University of Munich and The Technical University of Berlin.
- Masters in Business Administration: Business Management is only second to engineering as far as pursuing masters degrees are concerned in Germany. At present, the top universities offering them are the University of Mannheim and Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat München.
Suggested: 10 Best Student Cities in Germany
Choose the best from all the options available with the help of the study abroad experts at Yocket. Yocket Premium Counseling Services is aimed to help you in your study abroad journey, right from choosing which country is best for MS to which courses you should consider to achieve your academic goals and reach your final destination. Book a free 15-minute call with Yocket counsellors and know how hassle-free your overseas education can be.