The majority of the problems are minor if you solve them right away. However, if you let them linger, they can become an enormous conflict. Similar is the case with financial conflicts for PhD. As the PhD program in USA is usually for four to six years, it can be burdensome for many Indian students. But despite financial barriers, one should focus on finding a solution for this problem, i.e. scholarships. Yes, now PhD in USA for Indian students with scholarship is common.
As of 2022, the US offers State Scholarships for 16% of students and Private Scholarships for 13% of students. Besides, more than 1,100 scholarships are available for Indian students in the country. But among these distinct options, how can an Indian student determine the suitable scholarships for a PhD, their application process, tips to improve the chances, etc.
Let’s explore this all-encompassing guide and unveil the facets of scholarship for PhD in USA for Indian students.
|Table of Contents|
Overview of PhD in USA
There are more than 4,500 universities in the US with an amazing academic reputation that offer distinct PhD courses. Indian students prefer the USA because it provides opportunities for frontier research, has immense admission opportunities, an on-campus international community, innovation and dynamic research approach, well-qualified faculty to gain detailed knowledge of subjects, etc. Besides, the national average salary of a PhD student in USA falls between $15,000 to $30,000 per year.
But is it feasible for every Indian student to get admission to US universities? No.
The average yearly cost of studying PhD in US public universities and US private universities is between $28,000 to $55,000. However, it can vary as per the selected university, type of program, or specialization. Further, the average monthly cost of living in the USA for Indian students ranges between $800 to $1000.
Therefore, one has to apply for a PhD scholarship to make a living in the US along with the payment of tuition fees, study expenses, and accommodation costs.
Let’s check out the top scholarships for Indian PhD students in USA.
Top 5 Scholarships for PhD in USA for Indian Students 2023
Following is the list of the 5 best grants, aid, or scholarship for PhD in USA for Indian students. Let’s explore their stipend amount, requirements, features, etc.
1. AAUW International Fellowship
American Association of University Women provides international scholarships for full-time study and research to women who are non-immigrants or non-citizens in the US.
Key features of this scholarship:
- It includes a stipend of $30,000 for postdoctoral students
- Requires English language proficiency
- Candidate must have a good academic record and should return to home country after course completion
2. Texas A&M University’s Hertz Fellowship
As a Hertz Foundation Partner, this fellowship provides five years of funding to doctoral students. It also offers the freedom to pursue innovative projects, ongoing mentoring, symposia, or workshops.
Its key features include:
- A stipend up to $250k
- Applicants must be STEM grad students
3. University of Lowa’s PhD Programs
All the PhD program at the University of Lowa provides stipend and scholarship. However, some departments also offer summer fellowships, teaching, and research posts. Those who are eligible get:
- 100% coverage of tuition and fees
- A grant amount of $18,800 that lasts about 9 months
4. Fullbright, Nehru Doctoral Research Scholarship
This is one of the most rewarding scholarships administered by the US department. It rewards up to 1800 PhD scholarships to international students who wish to study in the USA.
Its key features are as follows:
- It covers all expenses including tuition fees, living expenses, visa support, airfare, and travel costs.
- Applicants can be post-graduate from India
- Applicants must have leadership skills, a track record of community services, and good English proficiency
5. Franklin Mosher Baldwin Memorial Fellowship
This fellowship is sponsored by Leaky Foundation for students who want to pursue MA or PhD in the USA.
Its key features include:
- An annual stipend of $15,000
- Applicants must study primatology, prehistory, or subjects related to humans and evolution
- Candidates must return and work in their home country after program completion
Other than these, the Indian students can also apply for HHMI International Student Research Fellowships, IBM PhD Fellowship Award Program, East-west Centre Graduate Degree Fellowship, Campbell Fellowship for Transformative Research, Asian Cultural Council Fellowship, American Scandinavian Foundation Fellowship, UTS International Research Scholarship, etc.
Tips to Apply a Scholarships for Indian PhD Students in USA 2023
It is paramount for Indian students to understand the scholarship application process in the USA. These tips will surely improve your chances of getting selected for a scholarship and avoid deadlines. Let’s begin!
- Firstly, to get a scholarship for PhD in USA for Indian students, eligibility requirements are important. Therefore, the students must check the official university or scholarship websites to ensure they can apply for the same.
- Next, the Indian students must check the GPA requirements to apply for a scholarship. It is advised to have a GPA of 3.0 or more in the graduation degree.
- Keep your academic transcripts handy, including the 10th, 12th, graduation, and post-graduation degree.
- PhD in USA for Indian students with scholarship requires decent scores in IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, or GMAT. The score requirements vary as per the type and source of the PhD scholarship.
- Besides this, the Indian students must share information on their volunteering/job/internship experience, accomplishments, or projects through a statement of purpose (SOP) and letter of recommendation (LOR.)
- Lastly, double-check the PhD scholarship deadlines and submit the application before time.
These steps will amp up the odds of getting PhD in USA for Indian students with scholarship.
With the available PhD scholarship options and the numerous steps involved in a scholarship application, an Indian student can get confused. Therefore, if you wish to get updated about the eligibility and application status of scholarships or need end-to-end guidance from expert counsellors, subscribe to Yocket premium. They will ensure that you get a scholarship for your PhD in USA.
Frequently Asked Questions on PhD Scholarship in USA for Indian Students
Ques. What are the types of PhD scholarship in USA for Indian students?
Ans. In the US, Indian students can get scholarships based on their financial needs or academic scores as part of the government funding schemes, exchange schemes, and university awards.
Ques. Do all PhD students get a stipend in the USA?
Ans. The average PhD stipend amount in the USA varies between $23,000 to $33,000, depending on the area of study, university, course, and cost of living around the campus.
Ques. Is PhD in the USA fully funded?
Ans. Funding in the USA for PhD is almost fully guaranteed. However, Indian students are still encouraged to apply for external funding at private research institutes or federal grants/aid.
Ques. How much amount is sanctioned to study for a PhD in the USA?
Ans. A PhD scholarship in the USA can include an amount of $4,500 to complete tuition fees, living expenses, and study material.
Ques. Are PhD scholarships in the USA a one-time thing?
Ans. A few scholarships release the amount in one go; however, the rest can get renewed every month/semester based on the student’s academic performance.