Whether from parental support, self-support, student loans, work-study programs, bursaries, or scholarships, university education in the USA requires finance. However, if you are a student with an exceptional academic performance, who is planning to study MS in the USA, but cannot curate finance to pay the tuition fees, scholarships are the best solution. But what are the scholarship for MS in USA options? How to apply for scholarship in USA for MS?
Let’s explore this article to understand the different facets of scholarship for MS in USA for Indian students.
|Table of Content|
Overview of Scholarships for MS in USA
USA is the most culturally diverse country with a technological spot called “silicon valley.” Reports state that, in 2021, there was a 68% increase in the study abroad students to the USA. It is home to 5,500 educational institutions, of which 50% are among the highly ranked universities. Furthermore, it has a research and development hub, on which the country spends 2.7% of its GDP. Therefore, an aspirant can choose to study in USA for education to experience a culturally diverse community, technological opportunities, exceptional learning experiences, and career opportunities.
However, the US education system demands higher tuition fees and cost of living. It is the 3rd most expensive nation globally, which requires an average amount of $24,914 in university costs and $11,651 in cost of living annually.
Suggested: Cost of living in USA 2023
This is why scholarship for MS in USA is critical for the students who plan to study in the USA. Let’s check out its benefits.
- In case of full settlement, a scholarship is not required to be repaid. Therefore, it helps reduce debts compared to the other University payment options like loans with huge interest rates.
- Helps academically strong students get a quality education regardless of their financial condition.
- With no financial liability, students are motivated to study at their maximum potential, securing fantastic job opportunities.
Now you know the perks of scholarship for MS in USA for Indian students, let’s explore the common scholarship to study MS in USA.
5 Popular Scholarships for MS in USA
If you are wondering how much scholarship can I get for MS in US. Following are the scholarships for Indian students to study MS in USA with their exemption amount and eligibility requirements. Some popular scholarships are:
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship
- Generation Google Scholarship
- AAUW International Fellowship
- Global Study Awards
- Naritam Sekhsaria Foundation Scholarship
Let’s go through them one by one!
1. Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship
Aga Khan Foundation offers limited scholarships to the students who are eligible for MS in US. However, the student must belong to a developing country with extraordinary academic performance. These scholarships are given on a 50% grant and 50% loan basis following a competitive application process. The loan amount must be paid within five years from the completion of the course, needs a guarantee, and has a service charge of 5%.
Amount: Tuition fees and living expenses are included in this scholarship. However, the amount is decided based on the student's needs and academic achievements.
Scholarship Criteria for MS in USA: Following are the requirements:
- The student must be a resident of the eligible country, India, in this case.
- The resident country must have Aga Khan Education Services (AKEA), Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB), or Local Aga Khan Foundation (LAKF) services.
- Higher preference is given to students above 30 years.
- Deadlines are around March.
2. Generation Google Scholarship
This scholarship is provided by Google to students who aspire to build a career in computer science/technology. It is applicable in both USA and Canada for students with exceptional academic records.
Amount: The Scholarship amount for the US is $10,000 for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Scholarship Criteria for MS in USA: The eligibility requirements of this MS scholarship for Indian students in USA are as follows.
- The student must have a high school degree or equivalent qualification.
- Intend to enrol in a full-time MS, MBA, Masters, Bachelors, or PhD program in US.
- Should be interested in computer science, computer engineering, or other related fields.
- Must depict passion for improving the portrayal of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology.
- Applications will begin by October 2022.
3. AAUW International Fellowship
This scholarship is offered to women only to promote equal education among girls. More than 3,600 women from around 150 countries have been provided with this scholarship globally. Further, up to five scholarships are renewed for the second year of the master's/professional degree.
Amount: A scholarship of $18,000 will be given to a women student planning to pursue a master's or other professional degree. This amount can be used for tuition fees, living expenses, or child care.
Scholarship Criteria for MS in USA: This MS scholarship for Indian students in USA requirements state that the student must:
- Be a citizen of a country other than the USA
- Hold an academic degree equal to the US bachelor's
- Have English proficiency either through TOEFL or academic transcripts stating undergraduate from an English speaking institution.
- Should pursue the study for an entire year.
- Should enrol at an accredited US University.
- Deadline is around November.
4. Global Study Awards
This scholarship was launched in the year 2015 by the British Council. It is open to the national students of all the countries who plan to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate, or PhD programs.
Amount: A $12,262 scholarship is provided to the students. However, if the tuition fee is lesser than this amount, you can use the rest for other living expenses.
Scholarship Criteria for MS in USA: Let’s check the requirements for this scholarship for MS in USA for Indian students.
- The student must be 18 years or above.
- They must plan to enrol on an undergraduate or postgraduate program abroad.
- Must have done exceptionally well in the IELTS test.
- Have an acceptance letter from a relevant University in the USA.
5. Naritam Sekhsaria Foundation Scholarship
Since 2002, this scholarship has awarded deserving students to pursue post-graduate studies in India or abroad. Further, this scholarship is in the form of a loan the students need to pay back as asked by the organisation.
Amount: The maximum amount of this interest-free scholarship is $25,496.
Scholarship Criteria for MS in USA: This scholarship for MS in USA for Indian students requires:
- Indian Nationality
- An age below 30
- A graduation certificate from an accredited college in India.
- Students who have applied to US universities and are waiting for acceptance can also begin the application process.
Suggested: Scholarships for Indian Students in USA
Now you know the best MS scholarship for Indian students in USA, further let’s check the University-specific scholarships offered to Indian/International students.
Scholarships Offered by MS Universities in USA
How many scholarships can I get for MS in US Universities? You can apply for multiple scholarships at once. Let’s check out this intriguing table to understand the scholarships for MS in US for Indian students, the amount, and eligibility.
Sushil Jajodia Indian Student Scholarship
International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
Merit-based Financial Aid
Suggested: Salaries after MS in US
But how to apply scholarship for MS in USA? Let’s check out the step-by-step process to remove an ambiguity in the MS scholarship application process.
How to Apply Scholarships for MS in USA?
How to apply scholarship for MS in USA? Let’s explore the crucial steps/tips to follow while applying for the scholarships for MS in USA.
- Along with the proof of funds, many Universities/Colleges/b-schools have other criteria like nationality, age, and work experience. So check the guidelines in advance.
- If you are not eligible for a government or private organisation scholarship, connect with your university's department. They might have funds to sponsor your education.
- Strengthen your academic profile, including extracurricular activities, leadership qualities, internships, publications, recognition, etc.
- Be certain about all the deadlines of scholarships for MS in US for Indian students.
- For University-based scholarship, one is automatically considered at the time of admission. For application-based scholarships, adhere to the eligibility criteria.
- Ensure to submit all the details of a scholarship application like educational documents, identity proof, bank account number, and others.
- Most Universities will consider your undergraduate scores for selecting you for an MS course; only a few will ask for 11th &12th certificates.
- Add a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letter of Recommendation (LOR) to your admissions application.
Suggested: Scholarships for International Students!
These are the paramount pointers to applying for an MS scholarship for Indian students in USA. However, getting scholarships for MS in USA can be intimidating for a student who has to deal with other aspects of admission, such as selecting the University, course, the application process, scholarship, etc. But worry not! You can take guidance from our counsellors by choosing Yocket Premium. They will mentor you throughout your study abroad journey and make it a success.
Frequently Asked Questions on Scholarship for MS in USA for Indian Students
Ques. How can one increase their chances of getting scholarships for MS in USA?
Ans. The possibility of getting a scholarship for MS in USA is limited. Therefore, students should apply for as many scholarships as possible, get their essays reviewed by an expert, strengthen their personal application, and present information without any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.
Ques. Can one get a full scholarship for MS in USA?
Ans. International/Indian students can apply for the Full Bright Scholarships for International Students. It is offered to master's and PhD students and includes the tuition fees, living stipend, complete accommodation fee, airfare, and health insurance.
Ques. Can MS in US Scholarship get revoked?
Ans. Getting a scholarship is not the final step. As they can get revoked later if the information mentioned is incorrect, the student doesn’t maintain their scores in case of merit-based scholarship, switch their major course/college, or use scholarship funds for things not mentioned under the rules.
Ques. Is it hard to get a scholarship for MS in the USA?
Ans. Getting a scholarship isn’t difficult, provided you have proper planning and research. So double-check the eligibility criteria and apply.
Ques. How much CGPA is necessary for MS scholarships in USA?
Ans. Every year, multiple Indian students apply for a scholarship in MS. Therefore, it is advised to keep a GPA score of 7.5 - 8. However, a low GPA score will work too if you have a great GRE score and a strong SOP.