If you wish to pursue under graduation abroad, study bachelors in Canada. Of all the countries in the world, Canada is the top destination for young international students. With a 1.37 million Indo-Canadian population, you will rarely feel homesick. While English and French are the two official languages, Punjabi and Hindi are two of Canada's most commonly spoken languages.
But if you want to know all about the bachelor degree in Canada for Indian students before taking the final decision, let’s discuss each of your doubts in this blog.
Why Study Bachelors in Canada?
Pursuing a bachelor degree in Canada for international students can be very beneficial for personal growth and industry knowledge. This is because of the various measures taken by the Canadian government. Some perks of a bachelor degree in Canada for Indian students are:
- Academic excellence: Canada has 26 top universities in the world. From research-based universities to Colleges offering Co-op education in Canada the focus is on overall student success.
- Affordability: Cost of living in Canada is comparatively affordable. The cost of bachelor degree in Canada ranges from 5,500 CAD - 30,000 CAD/ INR 3,31,336 to 18,07,291 for international students depending on your course.
- On-campus work opportunities: Undergraduate universities in Canada allow students to work while they study. To your surprise, these part-time jobs on-campus in Canada to are highly rewarding.
- Post-study work visa and immigration: International students in Canada also have the added benefit of staying in Canada for three years after graduation with a post-study work permit. Thus, giving you a PR opportunity too.
- Full-of-life Canadian Culture: Canada is all about work and play! Canadians believe in having a fun-filled life. This country keeps you entertained with many events, student communities, and other cultural activities.
Apart from the above benefits, the growth trajectory of Canada reflects its development. Now you know why should you study bachelors in Canada. Next, let’s explore the best bachelors in Canada courses.
Popular Bachelors Courses in Canada
Following are the insights about bachelor degree courses in Canada.
- The undergraduate education in Canada for international students begins after completing their senior secondary and high school studies.
- Canada has been famous for its diploma and post-graduate diploma programs that help students get a 3-year work permit. Bachelors degree has recently become popular for students willing to study for 3-5 years, followed by exceptional job opportunities.
- The normal undergraduate study for bachelors degree includes a duration of 3-5 years.
- The bachelors degree in Canada offers numerous specialisations to choose from, like science, mathematics, humanities, history, etc.
Co-op Bachelors in Canada
Various courses in Canada are integrated with paid work experience. These courses, called Co-op in Canadian universities, ask the students to have a certain amount of work experience along with the course. The co-op students are asked to spend four months in the university and the next four months with the organisation of their choice. Compared to the bachelors courses in Canada, these courses help the students gain early industry knowledge, hands-on learning experience, financial independence, and perform better in academics.
Suggested:Why Study in Canada
Now you know the top courses to pursue bachelors in Canada. Next, let’s look at how you can get a bachelors degree in Canada.
Eligibility and Requirement of Bachelors in Canada
To get a bachelor degree in Canada for international students, you need to fulfil the accepted eligibility criteria. That are:
1. 12th Class
To pursue a bachelor degree in Canada for international students, you must have completed 10+2 years of education abroad. You should have a minimum of 65% to get an admit to one of the best universities in Canada.
2. IELTS or TOEFL Score
Studying at undergraduate universities in Canada will require you to prove your English proficiency. A minimum of 6.5 overall IELTS score is required. Also, your band scores should be a minimum of 6 to study in Canada. Some universities also accept students without an IELTS test score. You should check out the official website of your desired university to gather their requirements.
3. Statement of Purpose (SOP)
Statement of Purpose or an SOP is a document you attach to universities abroad. It expresses your achievements, qualifications, hobbies, etc, showcasing your interest in pursuing higher education in a particular field. To study bachelors degree Canada composes a tight SOP reflecting your personality.
4. Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
Letter of Recommendations are a great way to convey your expertise and interest in a particular field to the university. Letters of recommendation from your mentors about your sincerity and character will help you impress your desired Canadian university admission council.
5. A valid passport and student visa:
Studying abroad is impossible without a valid passport and a student visa. In the case of Canada, you will require a Canadian study permit to pursue your studies. Make sure you have your passport before applying to a university in Canada.
Suggested:Is NIOS Board Valid in Canada?
Next, let’s understand how to get admission to colleges in Canada for bachelor's degree.
Admission Process for Bachelors in Canada
Study in Canada bachelor degree process is quite straightforward. Once you shortlist your desired university, you can apply online through the official university website by creating a student account.
Canada offers three intakes every year—Fall (September), Winter (January), and Summer (May). To apply to universities in Canada for bachelors you must:
- Check the eligibility requirements of your desired course and university.
- Take the required IELTS, GMAT/GRE, and SAT tests.
- Apply online on the official university website
- Await the university's response; some admission committees might want to take your interview.
- Upon confirmation of your bachelor’s admission, you can go proceed to complete the necessary formalities to get a Canada study permit and travel.
Suggested:Requirements to Study in Canada
Now you know how to get admission to the best bachelors courses in Canada. Next, let’s check out the difference between universities and colleges in Canada.
Bachelors in Universities of Canada vs Colleges of Canada
Governed by the provincial government, Canadian universities and colleges ensure high-quality education but are vastly different. The 3 main differences you should know are:
Universities of Canada
Colleges of Canada
Universities offer research-based programs.
Colleges offer in-depth programs focused on job skills in a particular field or subject.
Universities in Canada provide Bachelors, Masters, and PhDs
Colleges cannot provide direct degrees. They are either affiliated with a university or present certificates and diplomas to students.
After graduating from a university, you are eligible to apply for a post-study work permit in Canada to work for 3 years.
After graduating from college in Canada, you can work in Canada depending upon the duration of your course. For instance, if you took a 1-year course, you can stay in Canada for a year after graduation. A 2-3 years course will allow you to stay for 3 years after graduation.
Suggested:Universities vs Colleges in Canada
Now you know the difference between universities in Canada for bachelors vs colleges in Canada. Next is the list of top bachelors universities in Canada.
Top 5 Universities for Bachelors in Canada
Both the bachelor study in Canada offered by universities and colleges are globally valued. As we’ve discussed the difference between the two above, let’s look at the top five universities and colleges in Canada below:
Top Universities for Bachelors in Canada
As discussed above, Canada has some of the most prestigious universities. Some of them have a high QS ranking, making them one of the top universities in the world. Some of the top universities to study bachelors degree Canada with fees of bachelor degree in Canada and score requirements are:
University/ QS Ranking 2024
Average Tuition Fee + Score Requirements
Fee: INR 35-38 Lakhs per year
GRE: 309 and above
Fee: INR 14-31 Lakhs per year
SAT: 730 and above
ACT: 33 and above
GRE: 321 and above
Fee: INR 23-31 Lakhs per year
IELTS: 6.5 and above
GRE: 310 and above
SAT: 1600 and above
Fee: INR 10-13 Lakhs per year
SAT: 1400 and above
GRE: 308 and above
Fee: INR 18-29 Lakhs per year
IELTS: 6.5 and above
GRE: 310 and above
SAT: 1200 and above
Suggested:Entrance Exams for Canada
As the above universities offer you the best bachelor degree in Canada, there are colleges to provide you with some of the best diplomas, honours, and certificates too. Look at some of them below:
Best Colleges for Bachelors in Canada
Studying in Canadian colleges will give you the liberty to learn the exact course you want to study. Let’s check 5 of the best colleges in Canada with their bachelor degree in Canada for international students fees:
Average Tuition Fee
Fee: INR 12 Lakhs per year
Fee: INR 9.0 Lakhs per year
Fee: INR 9.48 Lakhs per year
Fee: INR 5-7 Lakhs per year
Fee: INR 6-8.4 Lakhs per year
As we’ve now discussed bachelors universities and Colleges in brief. Let us also give you an overview of the cost of a bachelor degree in Canada.
But before that, let’s explore this video covering the names of the easiest Canadian universities to enrol into to pursue bachelors.
Cost of Studying Bachelors in Canada
The cost of an undergraduate degree in Canada for international students varies depending upon the course and university.
- On a broader level, the cost of bachelor degree in Canada is about 16,694 CAD - 63,438 CAD/ INR 10-38 lakhs per year at Canadian universities.
- Colleges are comparatively cheaper, and studying there would cost an international student around 8,347 CAD - 20,003 CAD/ INR 5-12 lakhs per year.
Although, it is important to point out that a Bachelor’s from a university is preferred for lead roles in the job market. If you are looking for a higher position, don’t refrain from paying a little extra while studying in Canada. However, to reduce your out-of-pocket cost explore this list of top scholarships to study bachelors in Canada.
Scholarships to Study Bachelors in Canada
If you are keen on studying in Canada, but your finances do not agree with you, it’s still okay! Canadian universities present a number of scholarships you can apply to and ease your financial burden.
Best scholarships in Canada to study bachelors include:
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships: This scholarship covers the study cost of four years bachelor degree. It is awarded to international students who have displayed remarkable excellence in their academics.
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships: This is a scholarship for new joiners with 90% and above scores.
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships: About 60,000 CAD/ INR 35.93 Lakhs is given to exceptional international students over the course of 4 years.
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders: The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders is awarded to international students entering any university’s divisions for the first time. The scholarships range from 3,500 CAD – 5,000 CAD/ INR 2-2.9 Lakhs.
There are several scholarships available for international students via universities and colleges in Canada. Check out the official website of your desired university to apply for a university scholarship. Next, let’s explore the job opportunities one can choose after their bachelors.
Job Opportunities after Bachelors in Canada
The Canadian job market is competitive yet welcoming to foreigners. After you study bachelors degree Canada, you can apply for a post-study work permit and find a good job opportunity in Canada.
Some of the entry-level jobs in Canada and their salaries are:
Salaries in CAD/ INR
40,000 – 60,000/ INR 23.95 - 45.93 Lakhs
55,000/ INR 32.93 Lakhs
2,00,000/ INR 119 Lakhs
60,000/ INR 35.93 Lakhs
20,000/ INR 11.97 Lakhs
There are a number of high-paying jobs in Canada. You can refer to the skills storage list in case you want to understand the market better.
Suggested:Guide to Intakes and Deadlines in Canada
Yocket Insights: With bachelors in Canada you get to experience the eccentric Canadian life, learn from the top universities, and get a post-work permit. This basically checks off all the essential boxes of studying abroad for a successful career. Therefore, you can choose Canada to pursue your course from a reputed university.
However, note that the Canadian study abroad process includes many steps like the selection of a course, university, filling of admission application, application for loans/scholarships, visa applications, etc. Therefore, if you need end-to-end personalised guidance to complete all these steps without error, connect with our expert counsellors by choosing Yocket premium.