Studying MBA in Japan is an off-beat choice for students in India. Besides being the world’s third-largest economy, Japan offers a great deal when it comes to affordable and quality education. In terms of choice of programs, business and finance are the top choices among international students. Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Nagoya and other Japanese cities are hubs of business and finance. Japan offers international MBA programs that match the requirements of Japanese and Asian business markets.
So let’s get started with our discussion on MBA in Japan and take a deep dive into factors like most coveted B-schools in Japan, application process, requirements, cost, study MBA in Japan scholarship, job outlook and a lot more!
Why Study MBA in Japan?
Is Japan good for MBA?
If you are considering MBA in Japan, and looking for an answer to this question, you must take note of the following benefits of studying MBA in Japan:
- Japan is considered to be one of the safest and well-developed places to live, study and work.
- Japan is racing towards becoming one of the best education systems globally attracting more than 300,000 international students every year.
- The country offers high-tech education and excels in the field of STEM which is why there are several MBA specializations related to science and technology.
- Universities in Japan offer a diverse and student-friendly environment making the switch for international students easier.
- To make education accessible, Japan provides affordable MBA programs as well as scholarship opportunities for international students.
- Moreover, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) also launches initiatives to attract international students in Japan, especially from India.
Types of MBA in Japan
Coming to the types of MBA in Japan, you will find various options like in any other country. You can apply for full-time MBA, part-time MBA, online MBA and executive MBA. Let us take a look at the different types of MBA in Japan for international students:
- Full-time MBA: This is the general MBA program that can be completed within the standard 1-2 years duration. You will find almost all specializations for the full-time MBA.
- Part-time MBA: By applying for part-time MBA, you will get a lot of flexibility for taking classes. You will cover the entire program in 2-4 years depending on your study plan and schedule of classes.
- Executive MBA: This MBA program is mainly designed for working professionals who have 5 or more years of work experience. Some universities offering executive MBA Japan are:
- NUCB Business School
- Hitotsubashi ICS
- Keio Business School
- Temple University
Top Universities for MBA in Japan
In the QS global MBA rankings 2022, 6 universities ranked in the top 250. Take a look at the list of top universities for MBA in Japan for international students:
- Hitotsubashi ICS
- NUCB Business School
- Waseda Business School
- Ritsumeikan APU
- Doshisha University
- International University of Japan
- Keio Business School
- Kyoto University
- Globis University
- McGill University - Japan
Popular Specialisations for MBA in Japan
MBA colleges in Japan offer numerous specializations in various domains not just restricted to business and commerce. Depending on your interests and aptitude, you can choose from these popular specializations for MBA in Japan for Indian students:
- Finance and accounting
- Healthcare management
- Information technology
- Supply chain and operations management
- Digital marketing
- Tourism and hospitality management
- Arts management
- Entrepreneurship/ social entrepreneurship
- Asian business management
- Project management
- Strategy/ innovation
How to Apply for an MBA in Japan?
To study MBA in Japan, you will have to be punctual about deadlines, documents and submissions. Most MBA programs in Japan accept applications for the April and September intake. Take a look at the step-by-step process to apply for MBA in Japan:
- Shortlist universities where you wish to seek admission to study MBA in Japan.
- Review the application deadlines, admission requirements, etc. before applying to the university.
- You can directly apply to the university through the online application portal and pay the application fee, if required.
- Prepare and submit all supporting documents to fulfill MBA in Japan requirements.
- You can track the status of your application while the university carries out the selection process.
- Attend the interview as per the schedule and wait for the notification of admission.
- If selected, complete the enrollment process and apply for a visa to study MBA in Japan.
Eligibility Criteria for MBA in Japan
It is important to understand the MBA in Japan requirements before applying to universities. Every institution may have a specific entry requirement which is quite expected. Here is the eligibility criteria to apply for MBA in Japan for international students:
- Bachelor’s degree
- English language test scores
- GMAT/ GRE scores
- Work experience
Discussed below are the admission requirements for international students applying for MBA in Japan:
- Bachelor’s degree: The first and foremost requirement for applying to MBA in Japan is a completed bachelor’s degree with minimum GPA of 2.5.
- English language test scores: Official test scores of TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent accepted scores are required of international students whose native language is not English. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL score of 80 on internet-based exam and 550 on paper-based exam is recommended.
- GMAT/ GRE scores: It is recommended that you submit GMAT scores for admission as well as MBA in Japan scholarship consideration. An average GMAT score of 600 is considered good for admission. If you do not have GMAT scores, GRE scores are also acceptable.
- Work experience: In some cases, work experience may be necessary for admission to MBA more so in executive MBA Japan. Top universities look for well-rounded candidates with at least 2-3 years of prior work experience.
Suggested: University Application Process for Japan
Documents Required to Apply for MBA in Japan
Applying for an MBA in Japan requires several documents supporting your application for MBA colleges in Japan. Take a look at the list of documents for studying MBA in Japan for Indian students:
- Academic transcripts of undergraduate degree with English translation
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Proof of Japanese language proficiency, if required
- Statement of purpose
- Letter of recommendation
- Resume/ CV
- Copy of passport
- Proof of finances
Suggested: SOP for Japan Student Visa
How to do an MBA without GMAT and Work Experience in Japan?
First of all, talking about MBA without GMAT, you can apply to universities without GMAT but at the same time top universities expect their applicants to submit these scores. Therefore, while evaluating your application you will be given zero points for non-submission.
Coming to MBA in Japan without work experience, it is no compulsion to have prior work experience for admission to some MBA programs. It is considered better to increase the competency of your application and make it a successful one.
Cost of Studying MBA in Japan
After all the discussion above, you must be interested to know how much does an MBA in Japan cost? MBA in Japan cost is very affordable compared to countries like the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. The tuition fee varies for different colleges and depends on the course duration. You will also have to pay for rent of accommodation, food, transportation and personal expenses, take a look:
- MBA tuition fees for Japan range between 500,000-45,00,000 JPY/ year. Therefore, the MBA in Japan cost in rupees is 3,00,000 INR to 25,00,000 INR per year.
- On an average, an international student spends around 80,000-100,000 JPY/ month.
- When it comes to living expenses, Tokyo and Osaka are more expensive than other cities in Japan.
Suggested: Cost of Studying in Japan
Scholarships for MBA in Japan
As you must have seen that MBA in Japan cost is quite cheap compared to other countries, you also have the opportunity to apply for various Japan MBA scholarships.
Take a look at the list of top MBA in Japan scholarship:
- Narotam Sekhsaria’s Scholarship
- Hani Zeini Scholarship
- Global Study Awards
- C. Mahindra Scholarships for Post-Graduate Studies
- Jared J. Davis Scholarship
- Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship
- Okuma Memorial Scholarship
- Azusa Ono Memorial Scholarship
- Mori Masakatsu Memorial Foundation for Foreign Students
- Matsumoto Kaoru International Scholarship
Suggested: Top 6 MBA Colleges in Japan
Job Outlook after MBA in Japan
MBA in Japan for Indian students pays reasonably good salaries and job opportunities. MBA graduates can work in a variety of industries including financial services, marketing, communication, consulting, manufacturing, IT, software and others. Some of the top employers in these sectors include:
- Amazon Japan
- Google Japan
- Nissan Motor
- Boston Consulting Group
- PwC Japan
- Mizuho Financial Group
- Tohmatsu Group
Suggested: Work and Internship Opportunities in Japan
Within Japan, you will see that the salary for individuals working in Tokyo is the highest among other cities followed by Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya and others. Take a look at the various job roles and average salaries for which MBA graduates are hired in Japan:
Average Salary/ month
10,50,000 JPY or 8,75,000 INR
931,000 JPY or 5,42,000 INR
619,000 JPY or 3,60,000 INR
866,000 JPY or 5,00,000 INR
10,10,000 JPY or 5,82,000 INR
Business Development Manager
754,000 JPY or 4,37,000 INR
Investor Relations Manager
760,000 JPY or 4,37,000 INR
Chief Executive Officer
12,20,000 JPY or 7,10,000 INR
616,000 JPY or 3,50,000 INR
764,000 JPY or 4,45,000 INR
479,000 JPY or 2,80,000 INR
Japan has gained popularity in recent years and managed to attract Indian students while it has not yet secured a top spot in the list of study abroad destinations of Indian students like the USA or UK.
Now, is Japan good for MBA? As a budding study abroad destination, Japan has a lot to offer to its students and might be the perfect option for you. Having basic proficiency in Japanese language will be a great advantage for your professional career in Japan. If you choose to study MBA in Japan, just be convinced of your decision, get expert guidance and connect with Yocket counsellors to smoothen your MBA abroad journey.