Engineering Management is an interdisciplinary program designed specifically to elevate engineers to leading decision making key roles in top organizations. It is a career that brings together the technical problem-solving understanding of engineering and the organizational aspect of management to look after the operations of engineering companies. The person is entitled to coordinate with the management, production to discuss project specifications and procedures and accomplish goals and directives of the enterprise.
Engineering Management programs typically include instruction in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Project Management, Systems engineering, Mathematical modeling, Optimization, Management Information Systems and Quality Control among others. There are many options for entering into Engineering Management, albeit that the foundation requirement is an engineering degree (or a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics and Science). Job prospects are bright as there are always roles as leading managers in technology firms or as technically intensive roles in financial institutions.
The strength of the MEM Program lies in its interdisciplinary approach which combines the concepts of core business principles with graduate level engineering education. Students learn the basics of management, quantitative analysis, and behavioral science and choose advanced engineering electives in their area of specialization.
- Engineering Management
- Financial Issues
- Marketing Issues
- Decision Tools for Managers
- Leadership and organizational Behavior
- Strategic Management
- Data Analytics
- Law for Technology and Entrepreneurship
- Technology Project Management
- Operations Research
- Topics in Manufacturing Design and Processes
- Applied Machine Learning
- Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Energy Utilization
- Industrial Ecology
Masters in Engineering Management is a multidisciplinary and immersive program. Students are required to complete core MEM courses and select electives plus compulsory internship modules to move ahead in their areas of specialization. Some Engineering Management subjects include:
- Marketing with application to Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Business Law and Entrepreneurship
- Finance in High-Tech Industries
- Corporate Finance
- Operations Management
- Statistical and Optimization Methods
- Finance & Managerial Accounts
Students should examine the curriculum each university offers for a Masters in Engineering Management to ensure that coursework aligns with their professional goals. Some of the specializations include:
- Strategic Leadership and Management
- Construction Management
- Software Product Management
- Conflict Management
- Engineering Project Management
- Leadership Development for Engineers
- Communication Skills for Engineers
- Managing Major Engineering Projects
- Supply Chain Management
5 essential skills for an engineering management :
- Technical knowledge. Most top engineering managers have a background in engineering, complemented with a higher qualification in engineering management.
- Project management.
- Decision making.
As engineering roles continue to expand, the need for qualified professionals who understand both the technical and managerial sides of the industry will grow. Masters in Engineering Management’s requirements vary across universities. The basic requirements are listed below:
Most of the universities in the USA, Canada require you to give the GRE. Few universities from Germany require GRE scores. However, GRE is not required for admission to Australian universities.
IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
Applicants who are interested in a MEM degree must hold a Bachelor's degree. If they didn't study engineering at the undergraduate level, they likely need to take several additional prerequisites.
Engineering Management scholarships 2021 - 2022
- International Engineering Management Scholarships at University of Manchester in UK 2021-2022
- 85% Scholarship for Online programs at IU International University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- EFS scholarship program Thailand 2021-2022 for International Students
Universiti Tenaga Nasional - Postgraduate Talent Scholarship, 2020
On the successful completion of your Masters in Engineering Management abroad, the next thing to look forward is to land yourself a dream job. It goes without saying that a student pursuing a Master in Engineering Management would primarily be an engineer. However, candidates should never limit themselves to one particular role. Graduates should always aim for roles that require individuals to push themselves, hone their skills, and redefine boundaries. Job prospects of Masters in Engineering Management (MEM) abroad include
- Research & Development
- Engineering Management Consultancy
- Engineering Manager
- Production Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Business Systems Analyst
- Project Manager
- Design Engineer
- Construction Engineer