Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver
This need-and-merit-based award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and who would be unable to attend university without financial assistance.
The value of your Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award is proportional to your demonstrated financial need and sufficient to cover living expenses and tuition costs for your degree of study.
Your award may be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion – whichever comes first – provided you achieve satisfactory academic standing in your faculty, continue to demonstrate financial need, and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
To be considered for the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award:
- You must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- You must be graduating or have recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school.
- You must be applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- You must meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements and the English Language Admission Standard.
- You must demonstrate superior academic achievement (achieve all As or equivalent standard) and leadership potential.
- You must come from a war-torn, politically unstable, or economically disadvantaged region of the world.
- You must have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and have no financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary education in your own country (because it is unavailable or unattainable) or outside your country (because it is unaffordable).
Please note: If you are nominated for a Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award, you will not be considered for merit-based awards, including International Major Entrance Scholarships and Outstanding International Student Awards.
How To Apply:
Award nominations are now open for the 2020/21 winter session and are open until November 1.