Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field involving financial theory, engineering methods, tools of Mathematics and Programming. It uses mathematical techniques to solve financial problems and is sometimes referred to as quantitative analysis. Also known as Financial Mathematics, Mathematical Finance, and Computational Finance, Financial Engineering, unlike its name, does not belong to any of the traditional fields of professional engineering. Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics and Economic Theory are all tools that are applied in this field.
A Masters in Financial Engineering teaches you how this plays a key role in the customer-driven derivatives business which encompasses quantitative modelling and programming, trading and risk managing derivative products in compliance with the regulations and liquidity requirements.
Masters in Financial Engineering is a full time program which requires minimum 30 credit hours. We are going to list down the list of courses commonly taught across all universities; however, it should be kept in mind that exact curriculum may vary a bit depending on your school.
- Corporate Finance
- Management of Financial Risk
- Financial Engineering
- Probability for Electrical and Computer Engineers
- Stochastic Processes
- Mathematics and Tools for Financial Engineering Electives
- Microeconomic Analysis and Policy
- Macroeconomic Analysis and Policy
- Economic and Financial Time Series
- Financial Analysis and Valuation
- Applied Finance in Fixed Income Securities
- Hedge Funds
- Forecasting and Risk Analysis
- Trading and Exchange
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Mortgages and Mortgage-Backed Securities and Markets
- Financial Accounting Analysis for Engineers
b) Optimization, Simulations, Stochastic Systems (Any two courses are to be selected)
Introduction to Programming Systems
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Neural Learning and Computational Intelligence
- Statistics and Data Analysis for Engineers
- Design of Experiments
- Stochastic Systems and Reinforcement Learning
- Optimization of the Information and Data Sciences
- Machine Learning from Signals: Foundations and Methods
- Linear programming and Extensions
- Stochastic Elements of Simulation
Financial engineering involves the application of the principles of Mathematics to tackle financial issues. Some of the core subjects include:
- Stochastic Models for Financial Engineering
- Statistical Tools for Financial Engineering
- Foundations of Financial Engineering
- Financial Markets, Institutions and Risk
- Optimization Models and Methods for Financial Engineering
- Financial Engineering: Continuous Time Models
- Data Analysis for Financial Engineering
Some of the specialisations offered under Masters in Financial Engineering include:
- Business and Financial Modeling
- Big Data for Data Engineers
- Investment and Portfolio Management
- Financial Markets and Investment Strategy
- Managing Major Engineering Projects
Examples of Financial Engineering skills :
- Analytical thinking.
- Verbal communication.
- Financial planning.
Masters in Financial Engineering requirements for most universities in the US and Canada include submitting a GRE score. Few universities from Germany require GRE scores for a MS in Financial Engineering. However, GRE is not required for admission to Australian universities. IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring a student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
Financial Engineering scholarships 2021 - 2022
- Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
- New Zealand Aid Programme 2021-2022 Scholarships for international students
- Australia Awards Scholarships for International Students
- Global Korea Scholarship - Funded by Korean Government
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
- ANU Chancellor’s International Scholarship
- British Chevening Scholarships 2021
- Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships for Young Leaders Program
- Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships
- Australia CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Financial Engineering 2018
What jobs can you get with a financial engineering master's degree?
- Financial engineer. Financial engineers work in banks, investment firms, and mutual fund companies.
- Investment manager. In this role, your job is to make money with money.
- Portfolio manager.
- Risk manager.
- Trading strategist.
- Financial manager.