PR and Career opportunities

Best Paying Part Time Jobs in USA for International Students


Are you looking to move to the USA for education? Well then, there may be multiple questions on your mind. If one of them is how to land and manage a part-time job while studying, then you’ve landed on the right page. Let Yocket answer your queries.

Most international students in the United States hold an F-1 visa, which is the US non-immigrant student visa. F-1 students are allowed to work in the United States, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). 

For more information, explore Yocket Premium right away! Yocket Premium offers unparalleled benefits for students aspiring to study abroad. Enjoy exclusive features such as personalized university shortlisting, expert guidance, and a dynamic community. Elevate your journey with Yocket Premium, your key to a successful international education experience.

Table of Contents

Top Part time Jobs in Demand for International Students in USA

There are several categories of employment during the term of your stay as an F-1 visa student in the United States. Part time jobs in the USA can be broadly categorized as on-campus jobs and off-campus jobs.

But before getting to know both types, let us first share with you the list of the top part time jobs in the USA for Indians:

  • Library monitor
  • Teaching assistant
  • Tour guide
  • Peer tutor
  • Academic department assistant
  • Production assistant (at universities)
  • Campus tech support
  • University bookstore assistant
  • Barista
  • Babysitter
  • Sales job
  • Research assistant

Moving on, let us now understand difference between on-campus and off-campus student part time job in USA:

On-Campus Jobs

On-campus employment is the category most freely permitted by the USCIS regulations, and it does not require USCIS approval. For on-campus jobs in USA, an F-1 student is subject to the following rules:

  • You must maintain valid F-1 status
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session
  • You can work full-time on campus during holidays and vacation periods if you intend to register for the next academic semester.
  • Employment may not displace (take a job away from) a U.S. resident

Off-Campus Jobs

The rules for off-campus jobs in the USA are relatively stricter for international students. An international student must adhere to the following conditions:

  • You must maintain valid F-1 status.
  • You must obtain the necessary work authorization in the form of OPT or CPT. These jobs can be either related to your field of study or as part of curriculum.
  • You can also work off-campus if you provide evidence of severe economic hardship.
  • It is illegal for international students to work off-campus for international students if they do not have adequate authorization.

Suggested: Post Study Work Permit in USA

What are On-Campus Part time Jobs for International Students in USA?

A student’s F-1 status includes an on-campus employment privilege. However, many schools/universities do require that you obtain permission from the International Student Office prior to accepting any on-campus employment and may not permit such part time jobs for F-1 students in the USA.

On-campus employment opportunities at most schools are limited. Even if you can obtain a job on campus, you may not rely on it to prove financial resources for the year, and often these jobs are not related to your studies.

Which Jobs are Included Under On-Campus Jobs?

The definition of on-campus part time jobs in the USA for Indians includes:

  • Work performed on the school's premises directly for your school (including work affiliated with a grant or assistantship).
  • Work performed for on-location commercial firms that provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria. (Employment with on-site commercial firms which do not provide direct student services, such as a construction company building a school building, is not deemed on-campus employment for the purposes of the rule.)
  • Work is performed at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with the school. The educational affiliation must be associated with the school's established curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects at the postgraduate level. In any event, employment must be an integral part of the student's educational program.

Since your status is always contingent on your school's support, you must seek guidance and clearance from your International Student Office prior to applying for or accepting any student part time job in the USA, and you should request their particular interpretation of any ambiguous situation.

Suggested: Why Study Masters (MS) in USA?

Moving on, let us now help you with the 8 best part time jobs for international students in USA:

  • Teaching Assistant

Assists the professor in their day-to-day teaching responsibilities, including preparing lectures, preparing and checking assignments, helping students, etc.

  • Research Assistant

It is one of the best part time jobs for students in the USA. You need to assist supervisors with various projects, data collection and analysis, maintaining the lab, etc.

  • Library Assistant

You are expected to help with running the library smoothly. This could mean assisting with shelving library material, making recommendations of useful books, helping customers, etc.

  • Peer Tutor

You will be teaching a fellow student who might not be doing well with their studies. You need to help the tutee with course content, assignments, etc.

  • Department Assistant

It is one of the best part time jobs for students in the USA. Your main responsibility revolves around providing administrative and secretarial support to the designated department.

  • Catering Assistant and Food Runner

You have to help in the kitchen and deliver the food to customers, maintain hygiene and perform similar roles.

  • Campus Ambassador

You will be in charge of promoting the university. This job is a great choice for students who like interacting with new people.

  • Campus Tech Support

If you are good with computers, you can apply at the campus for tech support. The opening may be available at libraries, classrooms, laboratories, and departments.

Suggested: Salaries After MS in USA

What are Off Campus Part Time Jobs for International Students in USA?

All jobs that are not directly related to the operation of the university are included under off-campus part time jobs in the USA. These may include paid internships in the USA for international students or other jobs with valid authorizations.

The off-campus part time jobs in the USA can be broadly categorized into the following:

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)

International students in the U.S. with valid F-1 immigration status are permitted to work off-campus in optional practical training (OPT) status both during and after the completion of their degree.

You can apply for OPT after being enrolled for at least 9 months, but you cannot begin employment until you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS. OPT may include paid internships in the USA for international students and other similar positions.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an off-campus student part-time job in the USA for F-1 students when the practical training is an integral part of the established curriculum or academic program.

To qualify for CPT, work experience must be required for your degree, or academic credit must be awarded for the same. Prior authorization by your school’s international student office and notification to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) are required.

  • Severe Economic Hardship

Any F-1 student suffering "severe economic hardship" as defined by USCIS is eligible to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during breaks.

To be eligible under "severe economic hardship," a student must:

  • Be in valid F-1 status for at least one academic year (9 months).
  • Be in good academic standing.
  • Provide evidence of economic hardship based on unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control.
  • Show that on-campus employment is neither available nor sufficient.
  • Make a good faith effort to locate employment on campus before applying

The rule gives examples of the types of things that could be considered "severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control." These circumstances may include:

  • Loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student.
  • There are substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate.
  • Inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs.
  • Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support.
  • Medical bills or other substantial and unexpected expenses.

You must apply for an "employment authorization document" (EAD) with the help and guidance of your International Student Office. Also, you do not need a job offer before you apply for the EAD.

Several forms and documents are required for the application, along with fees and photos, etc., and processing can take up to 12 weeks or longer. You cannot start work until you receive the EAD. Once you receive the EAD, you may work for an employer at any job, anywhere in the United States.

What are Some Online Part-Time Jobs in USA for Indian Students?

Besides working part time jobs in the USA for Indian students, there are also some online part time jobs in the USA for international students. Some of them are:

  • Graphic Designer
  • Online Tutor
  • Content Writer
  • Coder
  • Translator
  • Blogger
  • Data Entry Agent
  • Web Developer
  • Social Media Management

Suggested: How to Shortlist Universities for MS in USA in 2024?

Employment with a Recognized International Organisation

Only students with a job offer and sponsorship from one of the listed recognised organizations are eligible for this employment. To qualify, an organization must be on the official State Department list.

The listed organizations include the Red Cross, African and Asian Development Banks, the World Health Organization, the World Trade Organization, and many other similar but less well-known organizations. Because it does not have the universal application of OPT or CPT, this category of employment is often overlooked.

Requirements to work for an international organization for off campus part time jobs in USA:

  • The student must have an internship in the USA or employment with a “recognized international organization.”
  • The employment must be within the scope of the organization’s sponsorship, and within the student’s field of study.
  • The student must have been in valid F-1 status for at least one full academic year.
  • The student must be in good academic standing.

If you meet these requirements, you can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS. You can start to work only after you receive your EAD, which can take up to 3 months.

There are certain advantages of this type of employment when compared to CPT or OPT.

  • Employment does not have to be for-credit or required for your degree program.
  • Regardless of how much or how long you work, this type of employment will not take away from your 12-month post-completion OPT.

Highest Paying Part Time Jobs for International Students in USA

International students with an F-1 visa status are only allowed to work 20 hours a week. Also, the average part time salary in the USA for international students, or the federal minimum wage, is 7.25 USD per hour. It can go up to 15 USD per hour in others.

The best paying part time jobs in the USA usually offer students an average of 10 to 15 USD per hour.

Given below is the highest part time job salary in the USA for international students:

Part Time Job Profile

Average Wage per hour (in USD)

Campus Ambassador

11 or INR 910


11 or INR 910

Teaching Assistant

12 or INR 1000

Library Assistant

13 or INR 1,080


13 or INR 1,080

Research Study Assistant

15 or INR 1,240

Department Assistant

16 or INR 1,330

Food Runner or Catering Assistant

17 or INR 1,410

Sales Assistant

20 or INR 1,660

Tutor or Peer Mentor

21 or INR 1,740

Suggested: Highest Paying Jobs in USA

 How to find Part time Job in USA?

Finding part time US jobs for Indian students and for other international students can pose a challenge. Therefore, you must know the resources from which you will get relevant and updated information regarding jobs.

Here are some resources that can help you learn how to get a part time job in the USA:

  • Career Services Office: The career offices of your university can help you find opportunities for work.
  • Student Unions: They can help you by providing information regarding upcoming vacancies and how to apply for them.
  • University Departments: If your university has several departments, chances are that there will be multiple temporary jobs at these universities. It is best to go around and inquire about them.
  • Networking: Stay connected, especially with seniors, as they can help you look in the right direction. Sometimes graduating students are asked to find their replacement, so networking with them really helps.
  • Online Platforms: Stay updated with your university’s website or online community to know about any openings. Also, join relevant Facebook groups to stay updated on any requirements.

From the Desk of Yocket

Keep in mind that your ability to work in the USA is constrained by your visa. It is imperative to familiarize yourself with all the stipulations and limitations related to your visa. If you have any uncertainties about your employment status, don't hesitate to contact your university for clarification.

Yocket is your partner in building a strategic roadmap for your study abroad journey. We go beyond processes, crafting personalized strategies that align with your aspirations and goals. For further assistance on studying in the US, you can even connect with our Yocket Counselors at your own convenience.

Also Read

Placements After MS in US

Jobs and Salary after MBA in USA

MS Specializations in USA

Internship in USA for Indian Students


Frequently Asked Questions about Part Time Jobs in USA

What are some of the top part time jobs in USA for Indians?

Are online part time jobs in USA for Indian students available?

What is the part time job salary in USA for international students?

What is the highest student part time job salary in USA?

What are the 2 types of part time jobs in USA?

Articles you might like