The UK attracts a vast proportion of international students from across borders, because of its highly advanced education system and standard of living. Most of the universities in UK including University of Oxford, Cardiff University, University College London, etc pave the way for students looking for work opportunities and industrial internships in the very diverse UK! Some particular industries like e-commerce, banking, information technology and financial services form a major part of the English economy!
So, stay with us till the end as we make you discover all about internship in UK for international students 2022 including paid internships in UK for international students, and a lot more!
Table of Contents
Overview of Internships in UK
While most top colleges in the UK offer international students with internships as part of their curriculum, international students can look for internships in the UK themselves. If you are looking for internships in UK for Indian students, you can either look for an independent internship program through an external website or organisation, or can even connect through your university's placement department.
Some of the top websites or organisations offering internship in UK for international students 2022 are:
- Student Circus
- TARGET Jobs
Some of the top industries and fields to pursue an internship in UK for Indian students are:
- Information technology
- Business and finance
Suggested: Why Study in the UK?
How to Find an Internship in UK as an International Student?
You can look for internship jobs in UK for international students through your university or college. You can also look for internships through independent organisations like Milkround, as mentioned above. More so, you can even apply for English internships through websites in your home country.
It is essential to apply for an internship in UK for international students for at least 4-5 months, so as to complete the entire UK visa process beforehand.
Some prominent universities in the UK offering both paid and unpaid internships for international students are:
MBA Global Business, International Fashion Management
International Business Management, MBA
Biotechnology, Molecular Biology
International Tourism, Hospitality Management
University of London
Data Science and Analytics, Artificial Intelligence
Another university offering paid internships in UK for international students is the University of Bristol.
Paid internships in UK for international students are mostly available through top universities in the UK!
Tips to Apply for an Internship in UK
Let us now make you acquainted with some tips to apply for an internship in UK for Indian students:
- Look for authentic websites and organisations: In order to begin with an internship in UK for international students, it is extremely important to look for only authentic websites and organisations. As an international student, you should go for companies that are familiar with the entire procedure of a UK visa as well.
- Enrol in a full time program: In order to get hold of an internship in the UK, it is important to be enrolled in a full time, and not a part time program in any UK university.
- Look for paid internships: While a majority of internships in the UK are unpaid, you can get hold of a paid internship in UK for international students with a strong CV, and a highly ranked university. A paid internship in the UK for international students is highly recommended, as it is secure.
- Complete your visa application on time: Even after getting hold of an internship in UK , it is quite crucial to apply for your UK work permit on time. There have also been cases where applicants without a proper work visa are sent back home from the airport itself.
Suggested: How to Obtain a 2 Year Work Visa in the UK?
Work Permit Requirements for Internships in UK
One of the most important requirements to be eligible for an internship in the UK is to get hold of the UK work permit beforehand. More so, you should have your internship job offer before you apply for a work permit in the UK. there are, on the other hand, quite some exceptions wherein students enrolled in PG programs are allowed to work for their internships on a graduate visa.
The requirements for your work permit depend entirely on the type of visa you apply for. Some generic requirements to pursue an internship in UK include:
- Being registered as a student in your country of residence
- Possessing an English language proficiency certificate
- Age between 18-35 years
- Having a valid passport
- Having a strong CV or Resume
You can apply for your UK work visa at least 3 months before your internship start date!
As an international student, you should try and look for a paid internship in the UK as it is more secure and increases your chances of getting permanent employment in UK. One essential requirement is to get your UK work visa approved beforehand in order to avoid unnecessary hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions about Internships in the UK
Ques. Can I start an internship in UK with a tourist visa?
Ans. No, doing an internship with a tourist visa is prohibited in UK. You would be violating the law, and can be sent back to your country upon arrival at the airport itself.
Ques. When should I apply for an internship in UK?
Ans. You can apply for your internship in UK well before 3 months of your arrival.
Ques. Are biometrics necessary to come to UK?
Ans. Yes, you will be required to submit your biometrics while applying for your work visa in UK.
Ques. Are there paid internship opportunities available in UK?
Ans. Yes, employers in the UK will be willing to pay you, and you will easily get hold of ample paid opportunities, provided you have a strong background and are enrolled in one of the top universities in the UK!