- Gottingen is one of the best cities to live in Germany. With the small city and short commutes, the distances are short to campus, and the nightlife is accessible to the student's wallets.
- With the help of Kulturticket, which gives students reduced admission to various cultural events, the national and international students can take advantage of the cultural life on a student budget.
- The university has around 280 partnerships with international universities that offer exchange opportunities.
- International students make up around 14% of the student body.
- With the primary language being German, the university offers many programs in the English language as well.
- The university is associated with more than 40 Nobel Prize Winners.
- The university offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate courses.
- Five Max Planck Institute, The German Primate Center, German Aerospace Center, and The Gottingen Campus offer a high concentration of top-level science research.
University of Göttingen
University of Göttingen
Lower Saxony, Germany
Established in 1734
Established in 1734
When in doubt...
Share to solve! Chat with similar aspirants!
Top Reasons to Study in the University of Göttingen
Cost of Studying at University of Göttingen
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Average on-campus living expenses
Rankings for The University of Göttingen
US World and News Report
The World University Rankings
QS World University Rankings
More rankings for this university
- Ranked #35 in Europe
- Ranked #149 in the best global universities.
- Ranked #7 in best international universities in Germany
Admissions at The University of Göttingen
How to Apply at University of Göttingen
- Choose the study program
- Apply till the application deadline
- Check out the admission requirements
- Check the language requirements
- Submit the evaluation fee
Documents Required to Apply to University of Göttingen
- Graduation Documents
- University Entrance Exams
- Certificate of Assessment
- Evidence of Prior Study Periods
- Final Degree
- Letter of Recommendations
Exams Accepted By the University
The University of Gottingen charges once per semester an application fee of 65€ to evaluate international applications.
English Language Requirements
Cambridge English Scale
Common European Framework
German Language Requirements
Common European Framework
German Language Exam for Higher Education Entrance
Test for German as a Foreign Language
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university
Related Discussion for the Universities
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
5 years ago
Number of campuses the university has
Transportation in the city
The City of Goettingen is well connected with the public transport system. With 19 buses running at over 500 bus stops in the city and the outskirts. Eight-night buses also operate from Friday to Sunday between 1 A.M. and 4 A.M.The public transport is free for university students holding student cards.
Additionally, the students can rent and ride bicycles, and the university campus has dedicated parking lots for the bikes.
Services offered by the university
- The semester ticket for each student includes a train ticket, a bus ticket, and the culture ticket.
- Online tools like eCampus, StudIP, and FlexNow are available for each student, like student portal, Mail IDs, timetable, etc.
On campus accomodation
The student union, in association with the university, provides around 4500 places of residence. These residences are reserved for students with disabilities or students with special needs. After these rooms have been assigned, the remaining rooms are set for international students. The indicative prices range from 500€ to 1000€. (40,000 to 1,60,000 INR).
The students can also look for private residences in the city, which are cheaper than university residences.
- All rooms in the dormitories are single-occupancy rooms with a shared kitchen and shared bathrooms.
- All the dormitories are co-educational and mixed gender.
- There are no rooms for married couples. They need to apply for family flats and apartments.
- The dormitories are not pet-friendly.
University Faculty:Student Ratio7:1
University Faculty Stats
The university has around 5336 employees, of which 420 are professors and about 2250 are scientific staff. The Faculty to student ratio is 64:1.
University Endowments Value
Research opportunities at university
Strong in internationally renowned research, The University offers a wide range of research in the interdisciplinary field of Bioimaging, Medicine, Genome Sciences, Architecture, and many more. With more than 2000 scientific staff, the University of Gottingen plays an essential role in the world research industry.
Various research centers and institutes involve
- Center for Global Migration Studies
- Center for Modern East Asian Studies
- Center of Humanities
- Geoscience Center
- Center for Statistics, and many more.
Every year the university carries out more than 400 researches, and various undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate are an active part of this research.
The university gets funding from various institutes like
- Mobility for teaching
- DAAD Funding Possibilities
- DAAD Funding Possibilities for Postdocs
- DAAD Programme for Eastern Partnerships, and many more.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
With an incredible opportunity and exposure to international research and top MNCs and corporations, the students have access to world-class internship opportunities. Some courses require the students to undergo internships and practical work to validate the degree.
Every year around 80% of the students bag internships with top employers in Germany. The top recruiters are Volkswagon, Bosch, Deutsche Telekom, and many more.
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
With a placement rate of 92%, the recent graduates have access to various exclusive job opportunities. The average salary of Gottingen graduates is around 70,000€ (57,00,000 INR) per annum. The top recruiters are Allianz, Bayer, Lufthansa Group, and many more.
1. Does the university provide any scholarships?
No, the university does not provide scholarships to national or international students. The students can look for some scholarships through the German Academic Exchange Service.
2. What is the tuition fee to study at the university?
The average tuition fee for all academic programs is around 500€ (40,000 INR).
3. What are the living expenses of the city of Gottingen?
The average living expenses range from 600€ to 800€.
4. Are there any exchange programs available at the university?
Yes, the university has more than 250 partner programs with universities worldwide. All national and international students can take advantage of that.
5. What is the acceptance rate at the University of Gottingen?
The University of Gottingen is highly selective with the application process. The acceptance rate at the university is just 17%.