Masters in Management Information System (MIS) Abroad
Management Information System (MIS) is an information system used for decision-making, coordination, control, analysis and visualization of information of an organization or company. The study of Management Information System (MIS) examines people and technology in an organisational context.
While Management Information Systems can be used by every level of management, the decision of which systems to implement usually depends upon the Chief Information Officers (CIO) and Chief Technology Officers (CTO). These officers are generally responsible for the overall technology strategy of an organization including evaluating how new technology can help their organization. They act as decision makers in the implementation process of new MIS.
A Master's degree in Management Information Systems (MIS) is designed to prepare students for challenging careers involving the design, analysis, implementation and operation of computer based information systems. MS in Management Information System teaches students the involvement and use of computers in organisations and the integration of computer skills with the functional areas of management.
Most of the MIS master’s degree program can be completed in less than 2 years, but some may take more or less time depending on your school and program. These programs include detailed study of technologies and strategies employed to solve business-related problems within an organization. In terms of credit hours, we can safely say that most schools set it at 36, but it can be reduced by completing an internship for credit during the summer between the second and third semester as a directed elective. While the actual curriculum may vary from school to school, but the following courses can be found in most of them.
- Advanced Database Management
- Advanced Systems Analysis & Design
- Enterprise Architecture
- E-commerce and Internet based Applications
- Project Management
- Accounting Concepts & Procedures
- Business Information Security
- Corporate Information Planning
- Data Warehousing
- Information Systems Design & Development
MIS students study people, technology, and organizations. They learn how businesses use information to improve the company’s operations. They also learn how to manage various information systems so that they best serve the company’s needs. Some of the subjects covered in MIS include:
- Software Design and Integration
- Business Communications
- Web Computing and Mining
- Social and Ethical Issues of the Internet
- Business Foundations for IT
- Information Security Risk Management
- Data Mining for Business Intelligence
- Operations Management
- Business Intelligence
- Information Security in Public and Private Sectors
Listed below are some of the specialization offered in a Masters in Management Information Systems :
- Career Brand Management
- Strategic Leadership and Management
- Executive Data Science
- Introduction to CyberSecurity
- Computer Security and Systems Management
Key skills for Management Information System :
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong technical skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
- Teamworking skills.
- Organisation and time management.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Management and leadership skills.
MIS requirements are quite general across the world. Listed below are some of the basic requirements:
Most of the universities in the USA, Canada require you to give the GRE. Few universities from Germany require GRE scores. However, GRE is not required for admission to Australian universities.
IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
A Bachelor’s degree with excellent scores is also required for MS in MIS.
Management Information System scholarships 2021 - 2022
- Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
- Scottish Government - Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships UK 2021-2022
- McCall MacBain Scholarships At McGill University Canada 2021
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
- New Zealand Aid Programme 2021-2022 Scholarships for international students
- Australia Awards Scholarships for International Students
- Global Korea Scholarship - Funded by Korean Government
- MPhill PhD Scholarships Lingnan University HongKong
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
- ANU Chancellor’s International Scholarship
Your technical skills, commercial awareness, and problem-solving abilities will make you the ideal candidate for any of the following roles:
- Information systems manager
- Systems administrator
- Database manager
- Software engineer
- IT technical support officer
- Systems analyst
- Web developer
- Security consultant