- Essex University - Colchester Campus is the largest of the three campuses, with approximately 15,000 students from nearly 130 countries studying there
- The institution has more than 95,000 graduates worldwide, including well-known alumni in various sectors. It has educational partnerships with over 300 institutes all over the world.
- Essex University has world-class professors in a supportive and research-intensive environment. In the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework, the University received a Gold rating, indicating that it provides an excellent educational experience.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Essex, United Kingdom
Established in 1965
Established in 1965
When in doubt...
Share to solve! Chat with 230+ similar aspirants!
Founded in 1964, the University of Essex address is in United Kingdom's oldest town Colchester, a pastoral town which is an hour's drive from London. The University of Essex was recognised as University of the Year by the Times Higher Education Awards in 2018, with one of the most diverse student populations in the UK. The University’slocation includes a safe, self-contained campus, bustling suburban landscapes, and coastline vistas.
Colchester Campus, Southend Campus, and Loughton Campus are the three University of Essex campuses. The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in different fields like Accountancy, Management, Biochemistry, Sciences, Finance, Writing, Criminology, Journalism, Human Rights, Drama, Data Analytics, and Engineering.
Top Reasons to Study in the University of Essex
Cost of Studying at University of Essex
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Rankings for The University of Essex
US World and News Report
The World University Rankings
More rankings for this university
These are the University of Essex rankings from different organizations in 2022:
|The Complete University Guide 2022||#27|
|University Rankings - The Guardian 2022||#64|
Admissions at The University of Essex
£20 - £22
Get application fee waiver or a $100 grant upon enrollment in this university
Apply With Yocket
How to Apply at University of Essex
- Apply through UCAS. The Apply and Track Service is used to submit applications.
- Fill out the Application Form
- Share personal information
- Carefully fill your Academic Details
- Choose the course of your interest
- Pay the University of Essex fee
University of Essexies Application fees is around 20 GBP (2000 INR)
Documents Required to Apply to University of Essex
Applicants for undergraduate program must submit the following documents with their application:
- Transcripts of grades
- An essay or a personal statement detailing your academics,work experience and reasons to apply for the University of Essex.
- Optional Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- A CV or a list of extracurricular activities
- English Proficiency score
- Financial records
- A copy of Passport
An applicant of a postgraduate program needs to submit the following additional documents:
- A personal statement or essay
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs)-Academic and Professional
- Professional Resume
Exams Accepted By the University
Admission to courses at the University of Essex have no specific requirements for exams like GRE and GMAT to get admission. Still, they boost applicants' chances of getting admission to their course of interest.
BA, BSc, BBA, etc.
MA, MSc, etc.
MBA (GMAT) Optional
English Proficiency Documents
To apply for admission to the University of Essex, students must have a minimum English proficiency in one of the following tests.
Scores ( UG )
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university
Related Discussion for the Universities
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
11 days ago
2 months ago
AND ALSO HOW IS PORTSMOUTH UNIVERSITY FOR MS INTERNATIONAL BUSSINESS AND MANAGMENT
6 months ago
6 months ago
7 months ago
Transportation in the city
- The University of Essex -Colchester Campus is 84 kilometers away from London. Bus, car and taxi facilities are available to reach the University.
- The London Southend Airport is about 2.8 kilometers away from the Southend Campus; one can take the bus or train from the airport. The quickest method to get to the Southend campus from London Stansted Airport is by car. The time is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- All of London's airports are easily accessible from the Loughton Campus. Travel by taxi, car or train to Liverpool Street or Stratford in London and take the Central Line Underground to Debden to reach the campus.
- University of Essexies cost of living is Self-contained apartment type A · £187.39 per week ; Self-contained apartment type B · £201.32 per week ; Self-contained apartment type C.
Services offered by the university
- The largest of the three campuses, Colchester, is built on 200 acres of land designed in the Eighteenth century.
- The School of Health and Social Care, the Department of Psychosocial and Psychoanalytic Studies, and Essex Business School are all located in the Southend Campus.
- Southend Campus is known for its Sea-side resort and pier, which offer cutting-edge amenities and a close-knit cosmopolitan community.
- Loughton Campus, which is surrounded by London's largest open area, is one of the country's most prominent and internationally-respected conservatories.
- Each campus has Hatfields: five acres of beautiful land that provides an idyllic learning environment.
Colchester Campus, Southend Campus, and Loughton Campus are the three campuses that make up the University of Essex.
On campus accomodation
- In the first year, all overseas students are provided with University of Essex-owned housing. With a track record of 90 percent satisfaction rate among foreign student residents, the University of Essex is one of the few universities with the International Accommodation Quality Mark.
- Residential housing at Colchester Campus has a rent starting from 420 GBP (41k INR) per month. The University provides a range of charming and comfortable accommodations, such as studios, single en-suite rooms, vintage towers and townhouses.
- It also offers a variety of lodging alternatives, including single-gender flats, twin-sharing rooms, shared and self-contained lodging, and short-term vacation lodging with self-catered options.
- North Towers, Wolfson Court, The Meadows, University Quays, and some other residences are offered on Colchester's campus.
- The residences have utilities like central AC, hot water, electricity and access to broadband internet, IT facilities and entertainment, including music and gaming. The University has a gym and indoor and outdoor courts for sports. It has a medical center and security facility which is available 24/7. Induction, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, kettle, ironing board, and storage are all-inclusive kitchen amenities.
University Faculty Stats
University of Essex has more than 800 faculty members on campus The student to faculty ratio of the university is 11:6. The University has top-class and highly qualified faculties who pride themselves in guiding and supporting students in their journey towards excellence.
Research opportunities at university
Research opportunities for students in Social Science, Science and Health, and the Hhumanities is supported by the superb facilities and services present at the university. The University of Essex provides state-of-the-art facilities, equipment, high-quality venues and business consulting to organizations and enterprises to collaborate with. The University has Global Research Centres for all departments, such as the Institute of Global and Economic Research, Institute of Public Health and Wellbeing, and Institue of Analytics and Data Science.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
Students enrolled in the University of Essex are permitted to work part-time while pursuing their education. Internships and part-time on-campus opportunities include:
- Frontrunners Scheme
- Student Ambassadors
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
Students can also browsejob portals like Ccareer Hub and Indeed for internships and part-time work opportunities
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
The University of Essex has a strong employability rate of 88 percent. The institution also provides employment opportunities in disciplines such as Research, Hospitality, Administration, and Management. Students who graduate from the University of Essex earn an average of 21 lakhs per year, with the majority earning between 12 lakhs and 43 lakhs per annum.
1. Is Essex a good university to attend?
According to student reviews on various portals, it received 4.3 stars and was also ranked 301 is the University of Essex in World Rankings, making it an excellent choice for pursuing higher education.
2. What is the University of Essexies acceptance rate?
The University of Essex's acceptance rate was 74% in the past academic year (2020-21).
3. What is Essex University known for?
Essex University ranks at the top in various lists issued by major University of Essex ranking organisations for its Arts and Humaninities courses.
4. Is Essex University hard to get into?
Essex accepts more than 70% of its applicants each year as it seeks to enrol more students. However, because admissions to this university are challenging, strict adherence to the academic procedure is critical.
5. What are the top subjects to study at Essex University?
In QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020, Essex is ranked 30th in the World for Politics and International studies, and 44th for Sociology. It is also ranked in Computer Science, Economics and Business with 384 and 180 ranking respectively.