- The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg campus is situated in the Nuremberg Metropolitan Region, which gives the students a strong economic edge and exposure to corporates.
- The institution offers 200+ courses surfacing from cultural to scientific areas.
- The University carries the legacy and expertise of more than 2 centuries for students to accomplish their career goals.
- The University is among the 50 most innovative universities in the world.
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
QS Global Rank
Average Living Expenses
The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg (FAU) is a public research university based in Nuremberg, Germany. Established in 1743, the University has its roots in the historic German era. It is the second-largest research-based University in the state of Bavaria, Germany. According to the 2020 top German University statistics, the institution ranks among the top 10 best research-based student associations.
The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg offers a total of 267 degrees in vast areas of education in undergraduate and graduate fields. The University annually welcomes approximately 38,299 students, of which nearly 6,150 are international students.
Top Reasons to Study in the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Cost of Studying at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Average tuition fee
Availed education loan
Loan amount sanctioned
Assistance for loan process
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Average on-campus living expenses
Admissions at The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
How to Apply at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Fill in the ‘Campo Application Portal’ (for international students)
- Attach the relevant documents.
- Submit the language certifications
Documents Required to Apply to University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Academic Transcripts
- German Language Proficiency test certificate
- Letter of Motivation
- Personal Statement
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume (without picture)
- Copy of Passport
- Finance Certificates
- Health Certificates
Exams Accepted By University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg Admission Fees: The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg does not mention any admission fee for the application and enrollment process. However, it is necessary to pass the state Germany level examination.
Note: In many cases, international applicants have to take an assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) at a ‘Studienkolleg’ or provide proof of previous study periods in their home country before they are admitted to the degree program
German Language Proficiency Certificate Requirement
As German is the common language of studies in the University, the following certificates are accepted as proof of language ability for University of Erlangen-Nuremberg International Students:
- DSH: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (German language university entrance examination for international students). The results of the DSH examination are divided into three levels, with level 2 considered proof of sufficient proficiency in German for all degree programs.
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) – This test is offered worldwide, and serves as proof of sufficient proficiency in German if at least level 4 is reached in each of the four parts of the examination.
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2
- The German part of the assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) at a German Studienkolleg proves sufficient German language proficiency for all degree programs.
- Österreichisches Sprachdiplom C2 (ÖSD C2)
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs level II (DSD II) if at least level B2 is obtained in all parts of the examination.
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung II of the Sprachen- und Dolmetscherinstitut München
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
Know More: How to Study in Germany
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
Rankings for The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
US World and News Report
The World University Rankings
QS World University Rankings
More rankings for this university
According to various publications, the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg World ranking is-
- 216th globally and 17th among all the German universities according to CWUR
- 317th among all the world universities according to QS4
- second among German universities in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences group for the year 2014 as per ARWU
- 237 among the best global universities.
Students University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Premium Yocketer profiles
% of international students in the university
Total International Students in the university
Alumni at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg alumni network is of about 25000+ individuals spread across the globe.
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg notable alumni of FAU include:
- Emil Fischer, Nobel prize in chemistry
- Dr. Siegfried Balleis, former mayor of the city of Erlangen
- Dr. Günther Beckstein retired Bavarian Prime Minister
- Heide and Horst Feldmeier, founders of Dr. Jutta Feldmeier Foundation.
Meet Our Counsellors
We got a team of 50+ experienced counsellors ready to help you!
Related Discussion for the Universities
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
Reviews for University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Number of campuses the university has
Transportation in the city
Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg provides students a semester ticket in collaboration with the local public transport company, VGN. The essential consists of the following two parts:
- A primary key that all students must pay for
- An optional additional ticket
The primary ticket becomes a 9-euro ticket (Rs. 750). It is therefore valid across Germany in June, July, and August for local and public transport services and regional transport services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg Fees for the basic ticket is 65.50 euros (Rs. 5400) per semester and must be paid by all students when they enroll or re-register. This also applies to students who have been granted leave.
The basic ticket is valid in second class on all forms of transport approved by the network from S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus, Regionalbahn, and Regional Express trains, as well as certain other local trains and additional services) in the VGN network from Monday to Friday between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Services offered by the university
- The University has a library with resources dating back to the 1700th century.
- The institution provides health insurance to every student studying at the University at basic costs.
- The institution has career services for all students that are available to them.
- Language services are provided to students who are not well-versed in English and German.
- Social counseling is available for all the students from the student’s service office
Student life at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Within a few minutes walk, the University has a zoological garden where students take yoga and Zumba classes daily.
- Nuremberg is a welcoming city for students, thus providing a wide range of student communication within and outside the campus.
- The University hosts cultural events almost every quarter.
- There are about 60+ student clubs and organizations on campus.
- All students and doctoral candidates enrolled at the University can enjoy a wide range of cultural events – theater, opera, concerts, festivals, and museums – at a reduced rate.
On campus accomodation at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
No, the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg does not provide on-campus accommodation for the students studying in the institution.
Although, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg does work closely with the student services body to support and help individuals looking out for housing services. The student services provide:
- Rent Agreement Contracts
- Comprehensive list of housing advertisements online.
- List of housing services near the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg Campus.
Check: Cost of Studying in Germany
Jobs and Opportunities