- International faculty that is qualified and has great expertise.
- The institution has an open curriculum, which means it offers flexibility to its students.
- It offers students the opportunity to advance their careers because of its strong ties with the business world.
- It offers several English-taught courses. Therefore, it welcomes international students to study.
- The quality of the Swiss university system
- It offers holistic growth opportunities to its students with its interdisciplinary course structure.
Università della Svizzera italiana
Established in 1995
Established in 1995
When in doubt...
Share to solve! Chat with similar aspirants!
The Universita della Svizzera Italiana (USI) is also known as the University of Lugano. The institution has three campuses in Switzerland: Lugano, Mendrisio, and Bellinzona. The Università Della Svizzera Italiana is a public Swiss university that was established in 1955. It is one of the leading institutions in Switzerland because of the several courses and research-oriented teaching programs that are offered across its three campuses. It is the only university in Switzerland where the official language is Italian. Apart from the three campuses, the University of Lugano has eight associated or affiliated institutions.
Top Reasons to Study in the Università della Svizzera italiana
Cost of Studying at Università della Svizzera italiana
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Rankings for The Università della Svizzera italiana
US World and News Report
The World University Rankings
QS World University Rankings
More rankings for this university
The Universita Della Svizzera Italiana is a comparatively new institution, yet it has been able to establish itself successfully. It has a World QS Ranking of 240. It is ranked as the ninth-best global university in Switzerland and is placed at two-sixty-three as the best global university in Europe. According to the University World Ranking by Times Higher Education, the institution is ranked at 301. Therefore, these rankings are indicators of the level of study and research environment at the institution.
Admissions at The Università della Svizzera italiana
How to Apply at Università della Svizzera italiana
- All applications are to be submitted online.
- Students need to visit the website of the institution. There will be an application section from which they need to choose the course they are opting for. Once they choose the course, they will be redirected to a page.
- The online application form needs to be filled out by students before the mentioned deadline on the portal.
- An application form will be asked to be submitted.
- Students need to fill out the relevant details and complete the admission tasks to get into the institution.
- They will receive information about selection or rejection through email.
Suggested: How to study in Germany
Documents Required to Apply to Università della Svizzera italiana
- The students applying to the University of Lugano need to submit the following documents:
- High school academic transcripts, school leaving certificates, motivational letters, evidence of English language ability, and a CV/resume are required of undergraduate students.
- Postgraduate students must submit their bachelor's degree, high school transcripts, an academic CV/resume, a letter of motivation, and documentation of their English language proficiency.
- International applicants must submit English Proficiency Test results and student visas with the above-stated documentation.
Exams Accepted By the University
The Universita Della Svizzera Italiana does not require SAT, ACT, or GMAT scores. Even though the official language is Italian, the university does not require its students to demonstrate Italian proficiency. Instead, it offers Italian-speaking courses. However, students wishing to pursue English Language Mates Programmes and non-native English speakers need to provide English proficiency scores. The exams were accepted and the minimum scores are mentioned below.
Minimum Score Requirement
Listening & Reading: 785
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university
Software and Data Engineering
Software and Data Engineering
The institution has an alumni service that makes it possible for students, faculty, and researchers to connect. The alumni from USI are currently working across a hundred countries. This diverse community benefits students and contributes to the growth of the institution.
Services offered by the university
The University of Lugano provides its students with assistance and a wide range of services. The services are set up so that on-campus amenities and resources can be made available to students.
- Career Services
- Housing Services can help with off-campus accommodation.
- Medical Services
- IT Service
- Sports Facilities
- Societies and Clubs
At Universita Della Svizzera Italiana, students balance study and relaxation. There are enough opportunities on campus to have fun. Students can join sports, societies, and clubs. The city of Lugano offers students an opportunity to enrol themselves in sports clubs or student associations. There is something or the other going on-campus. There is nightlife outside the college as Lugano is a commercialized city. The institution organizes both academic and recreational events throughout the year.
Check: Student Life in Germany
On campus accomodation
The Universita Della Svizzera Italiana does not provide housing to all of its students. It has a limited number of on-campus housing facilities. These housing facilities are largely provided to students from international countries and exchange students. The rest of the students can rely on support from housing services that will assist them in looking for accommodation off-campus.
On-Campus Accommodation Description
USI has two residence halls. The residence halls are only on the Lugano Campus and Mendiriso Campus. Exchange students can apply for housing facilities online on the institution’s portal. The residence hall is a three-story building. It has sixty beds in total. The rooms might be single occupancy or double occupancy. The rooms are well-furnished and ready to move into.
University Faculty Stats
The student-to-teacher ratio at Università Della Svizzera Italiana is 9:1. The university has five faculties across its three campuses. It has 850 professors and researchers from around the globe. The faculty is dedicated to teaching innovatively designed curricula and assisting students with their prospects. The faculty is organized into these five departments. The five faculties include
- Academy of Architecture
- The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences
- The Faculty of Communication, Culture, and Society
- The Faculty of Economics
- Informatics Faculty
Research opportunities at university
The University offers doctoral programs and believes in research-based education. It offers its academic staff the opportunity to engage in research as well by providing them with funding, information, assistance, and counselling. There are currently 201 ongoing research projects. More than fifteen hundred research projects have been concluded at the institution.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
Internships are promoted by the institution to gain work experience. The university operates a career service. Students are provided internships through the job bank. Career Services assists students with CV checks, useful links for interviews, and on-campus meetings with employers.
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
The institution has a good placement record. In a survey conducted, it was found that 92% of graduates from Universita Della Svizzera Italiana get employment after completion of their degree. The institution has a career and alumni service. It assists students in getting employment by helping them throughout the application process and connecting them with employers.
1. Does the university offer a fee concession?
Yes, the university offers free concessions depending on financial need and merit.
2. Does the university have on-campus accommodation?
The University of Lugano only provides limited on-campus accommodation.
3. For admission, are SAT, ACT, or GRE scores required?
No, SAT, ACT, or GRE scores are not required for admission to Universita della Svizzera Italiana.
4. Is there any Italian proficiency test that needs to be passed to enter the organization?
No, there is no need to have Italian proficiency as most of the courses are taught in English.
5. What is the cost of living in Lugano?
Lugano is an expensive city. The average cost of living monthly would be around 1500 dollars.