Germany, a land of rich cultural heritage with a solid historical background is a perfect place to study for students from all over the world. The pros of studying in Germany include, affordable public universities, globally recognized degrees from highly regarded institutions, high quality of life and great job opportunities.
If you plan to pursue higher education in Germany, you need to understand the Germany admission 2022 process. Since it can be tricky to understand, we have simplified the whole application process for Germany university apply. Keep on reading to know everything about how to get admission in Germany!
|Table of Contents|
An Overview of Education in Germany
Before we delve into the question of how to apply for German Universities, let us know a few highlights of higher education in Germany :
- German universities are primarily divided into Public and Private Universities. While the public universities charge zero to minimal tuition fee, the private universities are relatively more expensive.
- The public universities in Germany are extremely affordable when compared to countries like the USA. They charge little to no tuition fee even from international students .
- While most universities offer some courses in English, most courses are taught in German and therefore require students to be proficient in German.
- In most German universities , an academic year consists of two semesters- summer ( April - September) and winter ( October- March).
How To Get Into German Universities?
The Germany admission process can be broken down in 3 parts - pre admission, the main application process and post admission.
Students have to follow certain steps in all the three parts of the Germany application process in order to secure an admission in German universities.
All the steps are explained below in detail:
Pre Admission Procedure for Germany Admission 2022
Here are some steps that you will need to follow before taking the admission to your desired university in Germany.
STEP 1 : The Hunt For A Perfect University
The first step to apply for German University is to find one that suits your interests and the area of your study. There are numerous universities in Germany which may align with your interests, therefore, you need to keep the following points in mind :
- Start your research for universities well in advance and then narrow down your options to a few universities that you would like to apply for. You can refer to QS World Rankings to know about top universities in Germany.
- Universities in Germany offer plenty of courses to international students. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) has a database of almost 2,000 programs available to search from, including 1,389 programs in English.
Courses in Germany are taught in both German and English languages. While looking for a university, make sure you check all the language requirements for the course of your choice.
STEP 2 : Meet All The Requirements
This is probably the most important stage in Germany university application process. Make sure you check all the requirements to study in Germany very carefully before proceeding to apply for the universities.
All the universities in Germany have their own website and a section where you can find all the information related to admission requirements for a particular course. Never hesitate to contact the university if you do not understand something.
The requirements may vary slightly depending on the course of your choice and university. However, the most common requirements for international students are given below:
- A recognized Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB), meaning ‘higher education entrance qualification’.
- Academic transcripts
- Give Feststellungsprüfung entrance examination after attending a preparatory Studienkolleg. (In some cases only)
- Language proficiency tests.
Start learning the German language well in advance because you will require some grasp over the language while navigating through the Germany university application process.
STEP 3 : Learn The German Language
As an international student in Germany, it is extremely important to have some knowledge of the German language, even if your course is in English.
It is important to remember that most of the courses in Germany are taught in German. You can also find courses taught in English but still you need to have a grasp on the German language. You will be able to effectively understand what is taught in lectures and comprehend study materials only if you understand German. You will also have to speak in German when you decide to converse with locals.
Learning German from scratch can be difficult and can take some time. Hence, start early.
Learning German at least 6-7 months before the course starts can be very helpful.
Suggested: SOP for Germany
Main Germany Admission Process
Main application process involves the actual task of applying to the universities of your choice after meeting all the requirements and eligibility criterias.
The main application process consists of 3 main steps which are mentioned below:
STEP 1 : Apply To Your Desired University
To get admission in Germany, you need to apply to your desired university. You can do the same by the following ways:
- Apply through the university’s official website.
- Use the centralized admissions portal for international students, run by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). (All universities do not use this. Check with your university for more details.)
- Apply directly to the international office of the university.
You will typically have to fill the application form and upload all the required documents and pay the application fee.
The list of required documents for germany university application are:
- Valid passport
- A passport photo
- Academic transcripts
- Language proficiency test scores
- Completed and signed application form
- The payment fee receipt
There are two intakes in German universities - Summer and winter intake. The applications for summer enrolments have to be made by 15 January and winter enrolments have to be made by 15 July.
The deadlines may vary depending on the institution so it is recommended that you keep a check on the deadlines and follow them strictly.
STEP 2 : Arrange Finances For Your Studies
Next step in Germany university admission process is arranging finances. While public universities across Germany do not charge any tuition fee, studying at private universities can be expensive. Therefore make sure you have adequate arrangements to cover your expenses. There are different ways to Finance your education in Germany, these are:
- Apply for student loans
- Apply for scholarships
- Take up part-time jobs
- Personal savings
- Parental income
International students can lookout for DAAD Scholarships offered in germany. Similarly, EU students can apply for the Erasmus scholarship programs.
Make sure you apply to various scholarships since scholarships are highly competitive.
To ease your study abroad experience and know everything about financing your studies, book a FREE consultation call with a Yocket Professional today!
STEP 3 : Apply For A Student Visa
Once you complete the above steps of Germany university admission process, the next is procuring a visa. Student Visa procedures may vary depending on your home country, duration and purpose of stay in Germany.
- Students from the EU do not require a visa or any documentation to study in Germany.
- Non-EU students from selective countries also do not need a visa to study in Germany.
You can check if your country is one of those without visa requirements or not on the Federal Foreign Office website.
Take a look at some of the basic documents that you would need while applying for a Student Visa:
- Valid passport
- Proof of Financial resources
- Student Health insurance
- Academic transcripts
- Language proficiency test results (German or english depending on your course)
- Acceptance letter from your university
While applying for a German student visa, it is mandatory for students to show that they have at least 8,700 EUR (INR 7,54,158.48) per year to support themselves while living in Germany.
Post Admission Procedure in Germany
After you have secured an admission in the university of your choice, you have to complete a few procedures post your admission which are of crucial importance.
Take a look at all the things that you must keep in mind after you have secured an admission in German universities.
STEP 1: Find Accommodation
After completing your Germany application process, it is very essential to start looking for an accommodation before arriving in Germany because most German universities do not offer accommodation to enrolling students.
You can find various options for accommodation in Germany like:
- Student halls of residence
- Private apartments
- Youth hostels or guest house
Use Accommodation Finder for finding information about various student residences in your university town.
After you have figured out your accommodation, don’t forget to register at the ‘residents’ registration office’ (Einwohnermeldeamt) or the ‘citizens’ bureau’ (Bürgeramt).
Know About Studying in Germany
STEP 2 : Enroll
The final step in your Germany university admission process is to enrol at your university before you can start your course and use university facilities. The certificate confirming enrolment is called an “Immatrikulationsbescheinigung”. It’s an important document that you’ll need on future occasions. The enrollment period is often quite short. After you have enrolled, you will receive a student ID.
Once you’re officially enrolled, you are allowed to attend courses at university, take examinations and obtain an academic degree.
Students are normally required to enrol in person at the Office of Student Affairs ("Studentensekretariat") at the university.
Here are the documents you will need while enrolling:
- Personal identification card or passport
- Notification of admission
- University entrance qualification: the original or a certified copy with a certified translation in German
- Several passport photos
- Confirmation of health insurance coverage by a public health insurance provider in Germany, or proof that your policy from your home country is recognised in Germany
- Certification confirming that you have passed the German language examination.
You’ll also need to re-register before the start of every semester. This usually costs between 150 EUR and 250 EUR (INR 13,068.75 to 21,781.25), depending on the university. There may be an additional charge of around 180 EUR (INR 15,680.34) for a “Semesterticket”, which covers public transport expenses for six months.
Once you have enrolled, you will receive a certificate of enrolment which also serves as your provisional student ID.
Studying in Germany can definitely be a lucrative decision for international students. The universities offer various support services and workshops for international students which can be very helpful. Furthermore, if you ever face any difficulties, you can always contact various help groups for students. Student life in Germany can be very relaxed, enriching and thrilling. So go ahead and explore all of Germany and get a chance to study in your dream university!
And that's it! That's all you need to know about how to study in Germany. Before we wrap up, we have addressed below the commonly asked questions about the application process -
Frequently Asked Questions About Application Process To Study in Germany
Ques. Which admission in Germany is better - winter or summer?
Ans. Winter intake is considered to be the primary season for applying to German universities. However, both the intakes are equally good.
Ques. How to get admission in Germany university?
Ans. To apply for german university, you need to follow the 8 simple steps involved in the application process:
- Find a university
- Check the requirements and eligibility criterias
- Learn german language
- Finance your studies
- Fill the application forms for universities
- Apply for a student visa
- Find accommodation
Ques. Is it compulsory to learn German for studying in Germany?
Ans. No, it is not compulsory because you can apply for courses taught in English. But most of the courses are taught in German and it is recommended to learn the language in order to be able to express yourself properly and converse with locals in Germany.
Ques. Is the German university admission process difficult?
Ans. The German university admission process can be a little tricky, however, with the correct guidance and understanding, it can be easy to crack.
Ques. How long does it take to complete the application process for German universities?
Ans. The time varies from university to university and course to course. However, universities may take up to six weeks to respond after the application deadline.