- High-Quality Academics: Ohio Northern University is consistently ranked among the top private universities in Ohio. The university offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs, all of which are taught by experienced and dedicated faculty.
- High Graduation Rates: Ohio Northern University has a graduation rate of over 80%, which is well above the national average. This is a testament to the university's commitment to student success.
- Commitment To Volunteer Service: Ohio Northern University students are encouraged to get involved in volunteer work, via various opportunities for students to give back to their community.
- Return On Investment: Ohio Northern University is a good value for the money. The university's graduates have a high rate of employment and earn a high starting salary.
Ohio Northern University
Average Living Expenses
Ohio Northern University (ONU) is a private university located in Ada, Ohio. It was founded in 1871 and has a total undergraduate enrollment of 2,426 students. ONU is known for its nationally ranked academics, high graduation rates, and commitment to volunteer service. Ohio Northern University has an enrollment of 3,116 students, an acceptance rate of 69%, and a student-to-faculty ratio of 12:1. The university is a member of the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and competes in 22 varsity sports. ONU's mascot is the Polar Bear.
ONU offers over 60 undergraduate programs in five colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering, Pharmacy, and Law. ONU also offers several graduate programs, including master's degrees in business administration, education, and law. The average annual tuition fee for international students at Ohio Northern University is $36,500 for arts and sciences.
ONU is located in a small town setting, but it is also close to the major cities of Toledo, Cleveland, and Columbus. The university is known for its beautiful campus and its friendly and supportive community. Ohio Northern University's ranking in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges is #4 in Regional Colleges Midwest.
Top Reasons to Study in the Ohio Northern University
BSME in Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering
BA in Theatre
College of Arts and Sciences
MS in Accounting
College of Business
Will you get in?
Cost of Studying at Ohio Northern University
Average tuition fee
Availed education loan
Loan amount sanctioned
Assistance for loan process
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Average on-campus living expenses
Admissions at The Ohio Northern University
How to Apply at Ohio Northern University
To apply to Ohio Northern University as an international applicant, follow these steps:
Complete the University Application or Common Application, and submit the following supporting documents to the Office of International Admissions:
- Official high school transcripts or records of national examinations.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency.
To obtain an I-20, the following documents are required:
- Affidavit(s) of Support and Bank Statement(s).
- Letter of Sponsorship, if sponsored by a foreign government.
- Passport information page copy.
- The Law School and Pharmacy School applications follow their respective guidelines, so check it on the website.
Documents Required to Apply to Ohio Northern University
Documents needed to apply to Ohio Northern University as an international applicant are:
- Completed Online Application.
- Official Transcripts.
- English Proficiency Test Scores.
- SAT/ACT Scores.
- Financial Documents.
- Sponsorship Letter.
- Copy of Passport.
Exams Accepted By Ohio Northern University
Ohio Northern University accepts the following English proficiency tests and scores from international applicants:
- TOEFL (iBT): 50
- IELTS: 5.5
- SAT Reading: 1026
- ACT English: 200-600
- PTE Academic: 44-54.
- Duolingo: 80-100.
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
Rankings for The Ohio Northern University
More rankings for this university
Ohio Northern University is not ranked in the top 1000 universities in the world. However, Ohio Northern University is ranked #4 out of 86 Regional Colleges Midwest in the U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings. It is also ranked #2 in Best Value Schools in the same rankings.
Students Ohio Northern University
Premium Yocketer profiles
Alumni at Ohio Northern University
Ohio Northern University has 34,000+ living alumni, and they are making an impact in all walks of life. Here are some of the university's most notable alumni:
- Mike DeWine: The 71st Governor of Ohio and a U.S. Senator from Ohio from 1995 to 2007.
- Liza Ekole is a pharmacist and the president of the Ohio Pharmacists Association.
- Benjamin Brafman: A criminal defence attorney who has represented several high-profile clients, including Michael Cohen, Sean Combs, and Harvey Weinstein.
- Sheri Stoltenberg is a retired educator who served as the superintendent of schools in the Ada City Schools for 15 years.
- Mike Turner: A U.S. Representative for Ohio's 10th congressional district.
- Melissa J. Baumann is the 12th president of Ohio Northern University and the first woman to hold the position.
- Paul Brown: A football coach who is considered one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.
- Christie McConnell is a lawyer and the president of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- Robert Lucas, Jr.: An economist who won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 1995.
Meet Our Counsellors
We got a team of 50+ experienced counsellors ready to help you!
Reviews for Ohio Northern University
Number of campuses the university has
Transportation in the city
Ada is a small town in Ohio, so the most popular form of transportation is driving. However, there are a few public transportation options available:
- Intercity Bus: Greyhound and Barons Bus Lines both offer bus service to Ada from Columbus and other major cities in Ohio. The bus stop is located at 101 E. Main St.
- ADA Transit: ADA Transit is a public transportation service providing rides to Ada residents who cannot drive. The service is available Monday through Friday from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Taxi: There are a few taxi companies that operate in Ada. The fares are usually higher than public transportation, but they can be a convenient option for short trips.
- Bicycling: Ada is a very bike-friendly town, with several bike trails that wind through the town and connect to other nearby towns.
- Walking: Ada is a small town, so it is easy to get around on foot. There are many shops and restaurants within walking distance of the town centre.
- Ridesharing: Uber and Lyft services can be a convenient way to get around, especially if you are travelling with a group.
Services offered by the university
Ohio Northern University offers various services to its students, including:
- Academic Advising: OHU offers academic advising to all students. Advisors can help students choose courses, develop a degree plan, and stay on track to graduate.
- Career Services: The OHU Career Services office offers services to help students find jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities. These services include resume writing, interview preparation, and job search assistance.
- Disability Services: The OHU Disability Services office provides accommodations to students with disabilities, including extended time on exams, note-takers, or assistive technology.
- Financial Aid: The OHU Financial Aid office helps students apply for financial assistance, such as scholarships, grants, and loans.
- Health Services: OHU Health Services Center provides medical, dental, and mental health services to students.
- Transportation: OHU offers a shuttle service that transports students around campus and to off-campus destinations.
Student life at Ohio Northern University
- Join A Club Or Organisation: There are clubs and organizations for every interest, from academic clubs to intramural sports teams to fraternities and sororities.
- Get Involved In Athletics: Ohio Northern University has varied NCAA Division III sports teams, including football, basketball, baseball, and softball. You can also participate in intramural sports.
- Take Advantage Of The Arts: Ohio Northern University has a theatre department, a dance department, and a music department. There are also art exhibits and performances throughout the year.
- Attend Events: Ohio Northern University hosts many events throughout the year, including concerts, guest speakers, and sporting events.
On campus accomodation at Ohio Northern University
Ohio Northern University offers several on-campus housing options for students, including:
Residence Halls: These are traditional dormitories with shared bedrooms and bathrooms. Freshmen are required to live in residence halls.
- Founders Hall
- Park Hall
- Maglott Hall
- Stambaugh Hall
Apartments: These are apartments with private bedrooms and bathrooms. Apartments are available for upper-class students.
- University Terrace
- Northern Commons
- Klondike's Den
- StadiumView East
- Affinity Housing: These are housing options for students with shared interests, such as Greek life, international students, or students with disabilities.
- Fraternity and Sorority Housing: ONU has 10 fraternities and sororities that offer housing for their members.
Cost: The cost of a room in a residence hall for a first-year student is $4,290 per semester, while for an upper-class student is $6,150 per semester.
Jobs and Opportunities