Being a cultural mosaic, Canada attracts a vast proportion of international students from across borders. Global cities like Vancouver, and Toronto pave the way for students looking for work opportunities and industrial internships in very diverse Canada! Some particular industries like hospitality, real estate, and financial services form a major part of the Canadian economy!
So, stay with us till the end as we make you discover internship in Canada for international students including paid internship in Canada for Indian students, and a lot more!
Table of Contents
Overview of Internships in Canada
While most top colleges in Canada offer international students with internships as part of their curriculum, international students can look for internships in Canada themselves. If you, as a study abroad aspirant, are looking for an international students internship in Canada, the first step is to check whether your country is registered with Canada's Internship Experience Program, a program pertaining to internship in Canada for international students.
Apart from the Canada Internship Experience Program, there are other international internships offered by independent organisations and institutions in Canada. Some of them being:
- BUNAC: Intern in Canada
- Student Internship in Canada by StepWest
- Internships in Toronto with the Intern Group
- Toronto Internships with Beyond Academy
Some of the top industries and fields to pursue an internship in Canada for Indian students are:
- Information technology
- Business and marketing
- Hospitality and tourism
- Engineering and architecture
How to Find an Internship in Canada as an International Student?
As an international student, you can look for an internship in Canada through your university or college. Students can also look for internships through independent organisations like StepWest. More so, you can even apply for Canadian internships through websites in your home country.
It is essential to apply for an internship in Canada for international students for at least 4-5 months, so as to complete the entire Canadian visa process beforehand.
As a study abroad aspirant, you can also look for student internship programs, career development programs and externships in Canada.
Tips to Apply for an Internship in Canada
Let us now make you acquainted with some tips to apply for an internship in Canada for Indian students:
- Look for authentic websites and organisations: In order to begin with an internship in Canada for international students, it is extremely important to look for only authentic websites and organisations. As an international student, you should go for companies that are familiar with the entire procedure of a work visa as well.
- Apply as soon as possible: A work visa pertaining to an internship in Canada is limited in terms of numbers. And therefore, it is important to apply for an internship or job opportunity in Canada as soon as possible!
- Look for paid internships: While a majority of internships in Canada are unpaid, you can get hold of a paid internship in Canada for international students with a strong CV. A paid internship in Canada for international students is highly recommended, as it is secure.
- Complete your visa application on time: Even after getting hold of an internship in Canada, it is quite crucial to apply for your Canada work permit on time. There have also been cases where applicants without a proper work visa are sent back home from the airport itself.
Work Permit Requirements for Internships in Canada
One of the most important requirements to be eligible for internship in Canada is to check if your country of residence is registered for the Internship Experience Program.
Other generic requirements to pursue an internship in Canada include:
- Being registered as a student in your country of residence
- Possessing an English language proficiency certificate
- Age between 18-35 years
- Having a valid passport
- Having a strong CV or Resume
As an international student, you should try and look for a paid internship in Canada as it is more secure and increases your chances of getting permanent employment in Canada. One essential requirement is to get your Canada work visa approved beforehand in order to avoid unnecessary hassle.