- The University of Bologna maintains a sizable number of interdepartmental research centres and institutes specialised for industrial research.
- The university also provides its students with an excellent job placement service.
- The university's multi-campus structure improves connections and synergies with the industrial market and the services sector on all fronts.
- University of Bologna scholarships are also available for deserving students in the form of aid and grants.
University of Bologna
Established in 1088
Established in 1088
Italy's Bologna is home to the University of Bologna, a research institution. The oldest university still in existence in the world, founded in 1088 by a guild of organized students, it is also the first university in the sense of a higher-learning institution that grants degrees because it was here that the name "university" was first used.
The University of Bologona Courses include 108 "Laurea specialistica" or "Laurea magistrale" second-level degrees (two years) after 101 distinct "Laurea" or "Laurea breve" first-level degrees (three years of coursework). The institution has many departments, including the departments of architecture, biomedical and neuromotor sciences, biological, geological, and environmental sciences.
Top Reasons to Study in the University of Bologna
Cost of Studying at University of Bologna
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Rankings for The University of Bologna
US World and News Report
The World University Rankings
QS World University Rankings
Admissions at The University of Bologna
€50 - €60
How to Apply at University of Bologna
University of Bologna International students can submit an online application form on the university website.
To get started with the University of Bologna admission process, Applicants must follow the following steps to complete their application:
- Apply online through the university's website
- Fill out all the required information for the program you want to enrol in
- Review your application and upload the necessary documents
- Pay the application fee
Note: The University of Bologna application fee is 50 EUR (4,002 INR).
Documents Required to Apply to University of Bologna
- Complete application form
- Official Academic Transcripts
- Copy of Passport
- Two original passport photos
Exams Accepted By the University
University of Bologna eligibility requirements for enrollment may vary. Therefore, candidates should carefully review the course prerequisites before beginning the application process.
IELTS: 5.5, TOEFL: 70.0 & Above
IELTS: 5.0-5.5, TOEFL: 60.0-80.0, PTE: 51.0 & Above
IELTS: 5.5, TOEFL: 80.0 & Above
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university.
9 out of 10!
That’s the number of Premium Yocketers admitted to this University!
Astrophysics and Cosmology
Alan John Francis
Astrophysics and Cosmology
Electrical Energy Engineering
Low Carbon Technologies and Sustainable Chemistry
% of international students in the university
Total International Students in the university
The alumni network at University of Bologna is extensive. Some of the names of the notable alumni of University of Bologna are:
- Adone Zoli - Former Prime Minister of Italy
- Dante Alighieri - Italian poet, writer and philosopher
- Enzo Ferrari - Italian racing driver, engineer and entrepreneur
- Joaquín Chapaprieta - Former Prime Minister of Spain
- Manuel Olivencia - Lawyer and academic
Related Discussion for the Universities
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
4 months ago
The Best MS Universities for MS are as follows:
1. University of Ox... Show more
3 years ago
4 years ago
4 years ago
Number of campuses the university has
Transportation in the city
The University of Bologna offers mobility and transportation services. Students at Unibo can acquire discounted annual public transportation passes for Bologna and the surrounding area. You can also reach the campus via public transit services.
Services offered by the university
The University of Bologna campus provides facilities that are thought to be favourable to learning.
- The university has proper canteens and catering facilities on each of its campuses.
- The integrated network of libraries and institutions that offer the University bibliographic and documentation services is known as the Library System. It has 27 libraries, a 4 million volume collection, 9,400 journal subscriptions, and more than 5,000 workstations for research and study. Additionally, it offers access to 179,058 electronic books, 48,656 online magazines, and 666 data banks.
- Additionally, there are 1,100 wifi access points and 2 server farms with more than 250 virtual servers.
- On-campus, students have access to all the facilities they need.
The university has multiple campuses spread across several regions of Italy, including campuses in Cesena, Forli, Ravenna, and Rimini.
- Alma Mater Studiorum offers all students helpful links to experience the city to the fullest, including exhibitions, concerts, Master classes, conferences, art, music, film, dance, and theatre performances, as well as poetic endeavours and popular science.
- Students can take part in a range of cultural activities at University of Bologna. Depending on their interests, they can also join a range of student organizations.
- In order to keep their students active and fit, University of Bologna also provides a range of sports facilities.
On campus accomodation
University of Bologna does not offer on-campus accommodation facilities. The students are free to choose accommodation facilities near the campus.
- The majority of accommodations offer a private and shared room for students.
- The accommodation facilities are located near the campus within a walking distance.
University Faculty Stats
The university community is made up of 5,882 persons, including teachers (2,917) and professional staff (2,965). The University of Bologna has a 17:1 student to faculty ratio. The university's professors are talented and knowledgeable professionals who work with students to support their ambitions.
Research opportunities at university
The multicampus system of the University of Bologna ensures learning opportunities and supports steady research activity in the area with the purpose of enhancing university operations and community life. The university operates several research centres throughout Italy. Students can partake in various research activities in their fields of interest.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
The student career centre at University of Bologna helps students find internships and create career goals based on their education and skill sets. There are many different kinds of internship opportunities, including curricular internships, postgraduate internships, internships for psychologists in their line of work, and international internships.
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
The best paying degree at The University of Bologna is Executive MBA, with alumni earning an average salary of 1,57,656 EUR (1,26,11,218 INR).
1 Is Bologna University a reputable institution?
Yes, University of Bologna is ranked #117 in the world's best universities and has a solid reputation.
2. What is the University of Bologna acceptance rate?
The Solent University acceptance rate is 55%.
3. Does Bologna University offer English-language courses?
There are English-language courses available in a variety of subjects, including literature, history, Italian studies, law, economics, commerce, statistics, and a few branches of engineering and science.
4. What is renowned about the University of Bologna?
The university was instrumental in the development of mediaeval Roman law and is renowned historically for its instruction in canon and civil law. In fact, the university was founded in large part with the goal of studying the Digest, a key work in Roman law that had been rediscovered in Italy in 1070.
5. What are the University of Bologna Tuition Fees?
The University of Bologna tuition fees is around 3,106 EUR (2,48,529 INR) annually.