- As per CollegeNet’s Social Mobility Index, Metropolitan State University ranks 39th in the nation and first in Minnesota for elevating students from low-income strata into the middle class by five years after graduation.
- The university is a member of the Minnesota State consortium of colleges that promote global learning in the United States and abroad. Having access and support from the consortium's 15 member institutions, the university offers study abroad opportunities for its students.
- Offering a unique opportunity called Learning Communities, the university provides students with pre-set classes, activities and events outside of the classroom, and other resources on and off-campus that will help enhance their academic experience.
Metropolitan State University
Metropolitan State University
Minnesota, United States
Established in 1971
Established in 1971
When in doubt...
Share to solve! Chat with similar aspirants!
Metropolitan State University was founded in 1971, in Minnesota, USA. Spread across three urban campuses in the Minnesota metropolitan area, the university provides accessible, high-quality liberal arts, professional, and graduate education to all its students with continued emphasis on underserved groups. Metropolitan State University has an enrollment of more than 10,500 students among which 225 belong to the international community. Aside from being a four-time recipient of the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award, the university ranks between 299-391 in the 2022 edition of Best National Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
The Higher Learning Commission regionally accredits Metropolitan State University with its programs awarded by The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the Council on Social Work Education, Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, and Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board grant accreditation for nursing social work, business, and education programs, respectively.
Top Reasons to Study in the Metropolitan State University
Cost of Studying at Metropolitan State University
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Average on-campus living expenses
Admissions at The Metropolitan State University
Avg acceptance rate (Bachelors)
How to Apply at Metropolitan State University
- Fill out the application form
- Pay the application fee
- Provide test scores for English proficiency exams
- Provide high school or secondary school transcripts
- Official GMAT or GRE scores (for selective graduate programs)
Documents Required to Apply to Metropolitan State University
- Filled application form
- Passport-size photographs
- Photocopy of passport (picture page, page with expiration date)
- Photocopy, if available, of visa page and I-94, clearly indicating the port of entry
- International home address and phone numbers
- Proof of adequate funds (Financial Documents)
- Mandatory Health Insurance
- Immunization Records (for students applying to graduate programs)
- Two Letters of recommendation
- Purpose Essay (for selective programs)
- Current Resume
- High School Graduation Certificate
- Certification of graduation or certificate of an undergraduate degree (for students applying to graduate programs)
- University Transcripts (for students applying to graduate programs)
- Work Experience (for selective graduate programs)
Note: The Metropolitan State University application fee is 20 USD (1585 INR).
Exams Accepted By the University
Metropolitan State University admission requirements for international students are as follows:
English Proficiency Examination requirements for Undergraduate students
Minimum scores required
6.0 or higher
English Proficiency Examination requirements for Graduate students
Minimum scores required
6.5 or higher
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university
Related Discussion for the Universities
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
a year ago
2 years ago
Number of campuses the university has
Transportation in the city
Metropolitan State University is located in Minneapolis-St. The distance between the city and the university is less than 12 miles from the Paul, Minnesota metropolitan area. Students can travel to the university by bus which lasts for 37 minutes and is estimated to cost between 1.98 to 3.22 USD (158 to 255 INR). An alternative mode of transport to the university is by taxi which lasts for 14 minutes and is estimated to cost between 37.84 to 45.40 USD (3000 to 3600 INR). Metropolitan State University offers its students low-cost public transportation options where students are offered unlimited rides for low prices or shared rides.
Services offered by the university
Metropolitan State University carries out its educational processes across its three campuses, the Saint Paul Campus, Midway Center Campus, and the Minneapolis Campus. The university’s colleges and schools are listed below.
- College of Community Studies and Public Affairs
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Individualised Studies
- College of Management
- College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- College of Sciences
- School of Urban Education
- The university offers numerous academic services and support in the form of academic advising, workshops, tutoring, and student online learning resources.
- Metropolitan State University Library and Learning Center share a building with the Saint Paul Public Library, making it Minnesota's first joint-use library to house both an academic and a public library.
- The International Student Services offers high-quality advising and counselling on academic, immigration, cultural, financial, and personal issues to all international students.
- The university’s GROW-IT Center is a community-university urban agricultural Gateway for Research, Outreach, Workforce Development, Innovation, and Teaching. It is considered a year-round learning hub for scientists, students, and community practitioners.
- The university’s Student Life and Leadership Development enhance co-curricular activities at Metropolitan State University.
- Students can participate in over 60 student clubs and organizations.
- Metropolitan State University’s community health resources include a dental therapy clinic where university members are offered affordable dental care by Master’s Level Dental Therapy students under the supervision of licensed dentists.
- The university operates the Food for Thought Food Pantry on the Metropolitan State University Saint Paul Campus and for all Metropolitan State University students, free of cost. It also provides perishable emergency food boxes for pick-up.
- The university’s LGBTQ+ Student Services offers support, advocacy, programming, outreach, information, and referrals to educate and empower LGBTQ+ members on campus.
On campus accomodation
Metropolitan State University does not provide on-campus housing, but its Resource Center connects students to community organisations that can assist them in finding affordable housing. The university offers a Housing Navigator that can support students in locating their most favourable housing options and provides external links for accommodation on their website.
University Faculty:Student Ratio15:1
University Faculty Stats
Metropolitan State University is staffed with over 300 teachers and academics with a student-to-faculty ratio of 15:1. The university has a total of 10,500 students with a gender distribution of 42% male students and 58% of female students.
University Endowments Value
Research opportunities at university
Metropolitan State University offers multiple research methods, ethics, and information studies courses across some of their programs like psychology, criminal justice, and urban/cross-cultural education among few.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
Metropolitan State University’s internship program assists students in developing practical, challenging, and flexible opportunities in experiential learning to meet personal and professional goals. Students can choose to intern in their intended major/minor or in any field of interest. Internships can be individual, group, program-specific, paid, or unpaid. The university offers internship resources through various external sources like Handshake, US Interns, and Peace Corps among many others.
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
According to the data provided by the university’s Institutional Research, 67.2 of 2020 graduates found employment in their related field of study. Graduates have previously worked or are currently working at successful organizations like Wells Fargo, Target, Thomson Reuters, Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis Police Department, 3M, and Citibank, among many others.
1. What are the Metropolitan State University tuition fees?
The Metropolitan State University tuition fee per academic year for undergraduate students is 11,515 USD (9,14,388 INR).
2. What are the Metropolitan State University GPA requirements?
The Metropolitan State University GPA requirement for international students is 3.0. However, different courses have different requirements; please check the entry requirements for the course you select.
3. What is the Metropolitan State University acceptance rate?
The Metropolitan State University acceptance rate is 61.9%.
4. What are the Metropolitan State University courses?
The Metropolitan State University courses are as follows: 150 bachelor’s programs, 44 master’s degrees, 21 certificate programs, and one accelerated combined degree.
5. Are there any Metropolitan State University scholarships for international students?
Metropolitan State University scholarships for international students are offered based on different eligibility requirements like need-based or merit-based.