PhD is the highest educational qualification one can get and indeed a quite prestigious one. A PhD in USA is globally recognised and known for its academic rigor, originality and contribution to the field of research, the perks of which you will enjoy once you complete your journey. PhD is not only a degree but a transforming journey altogether. It will demand your time, patience and dedication but the rewards will be worthwhile.
We have made it easier for you to understand how to apply for PhD in USA from India. In this blog, you will read about the basic necessary details about the admission process for PhD in USA as well as step-by-step guidance on how to apply for PhD in USA and answers to some of your most common questions related to PhD application process USA.
|Table of Contents|
Overview of PhD in USA
Before we go on to understand how to apply for PhD in US universities, here are a few points about the admission process that you need to understand about PhD in USA:
Average Tuition Fees
$25,000-40,000 per year
August to December
Entrance Test Scores
GRE or GMAT, MCAT, LSAT, DAT, etc.
Suggested: Detailed guide to pursuing Phd in USA
Admission Process for Studying PhD in USA
You need to be familiar with the eligibility criteria for PhD in USA before understanding how to apply for admission. Take a look at the general requirements that must be fulfilled by all students seeking admission to PhD in USA:
- Master’s degree
- 16 years of formal education
- English language proficiency test scores
- Entrance test scores
Each university may have specific requirements related to GPAs and test scores. You will also have to provide a number of documents supporting your application that have been discussed in the upcoming sections. Let us closely understand each admission requirement for PhD in USA:
1. Master’s degree
To apply for a PhD in USA, the standard requirement is completion of a relevant master’s degree equivalent to the U.S. education system. Usually, applicants have a degree in a field related to the specialization they wish to apply for. You are expected to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and subject-specific GPA of 3.5 or above for admission to your choice of specialization.
2. 16 years of formal education
Not all universities in the US require PhD candidates to complete a master’s degree. 16 years of formal education before applying for a PhD i.e. completion of 10+2 and a 4 years of bachelor’s degree is sufficient.
3. English language proficiency test scores
International students whose native language is not English are required to submit accepted language proficiency test scores such as IELTS or TOEFL for proof of English language proficiency. An IELTS score of 7.0 or TOEFL-iBT score of 100 is expected for admission to top universities.
4. Entrance test scores
The entrance test score requirement for PhD in USA is similar to most other master’s degree programs in the US, especially MS. Universities look for competitive GRE scores while for seeking admission to management related PhD programs, GMAT scores will also be accepted. A GRE score of 310-330 or equivalent GMAT scores are required for admission.
How to Apply for PhD in USA?
From the above discussion, you must have got a clear idea about the PhD admission process in USA. Let's now take a look at the how to apply for PhD in USA from India:
- The first step in the process to apply for PhD in USA is to look for leading PhD universities in USA and shortlist the ones you wish to apply to.
- Finalize your research topic before jumping into the application process. Choose a topic of your interest.
- Visit the website of your shortlisted universities and understand their program structure and how to apply for PhD in USA from india.
- Next up, choose a professor with whom you would like to carry forward your research based on their previous work.
- After these steps, you can now apply for PhD in USA by completing the online application available on the university website.
- Also check for available funding at the university or external sources and how to apply for PhD in USA with scholarship.
- You will be asked to submit an application fee along with a list of documents required for evaluation.
- Take the GRE at least 2-3 months before you plan to apply for a PhD.
- Arrange all necessary documents such as letters of recommendations and start making drafts of your SOPs.
- Once you submit the application and supporting documents, wait for the response from the university.
- Meanwhile, prepare documents to apply for a student visa and submit the application on time.
- After receiving the acceptance, check how to enroll for PhD in USA and complete the enrollment process as directed.
This is how to apply for phd program PhD in USA. Now, you must be wondering what are the documents to be submitted along with the application. We have answered your question below:
Documents Required to Apply for PhD in USA
Applying for any degree abroad requires extensive paperwork. Now that you have got an answer to your question: how can I apply for PhD in USA, take a look at the list of documents that you will have to submit along with the application:
- Official transcripts from previously attended college/ university.
- English language proficiency test scores such as TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
- Entrance test scores for PhD in USA such as GRE, GMAT or other accepted scores
- Research proposal
- Statement of purpose
- Writing samples
- Letters of recommendation
- Up-to-date resume
- Copy of passport
- Financial documents including bank statements
With this we come to the end of our discussion on how to apply for PhD in America. We hope this blog will help you kickstart your academic journey in PhD smoothly. PhD is no doubt a challenging journey but if you have made a decision to pursue a PhD in USA, don’t look back, you got this. You will get knowledge and expertise in your field that will fetch you amazing job offers with lucrative packages. Earning a PhD will transform you into a dynamic individual and we wish you the best for your journey!
Upgrade to Yocket Premium today and get complete guidance from experienced counselors, answers to all your queries, one-to-one support, counseling services and a lot more to help you achieve your dream of an American degree.
Frequently Asked Questions about PhD Admission Process in USA
Ques. Is there an entrance exam for PhD in USA?
Ans. Yes, GRE is the most widely accepted entrance exam for PhD in USA. Universities ask students for GRE general test scores while others may also accept GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or equivalent scores.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for PhD in USA?
Ans. To be eligible for PhD in USA, you need to have a completed graduate degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0, proof of English language proficiency, GRE scores in addition to other supporting documents required for admission.
Ques. How much does a PhD in USA cost for Indian students?
Ans. A PhD in USA will cost Indian students around 20,00,000-32,00,000 INR per year.
Ques. How difficult is it to pursue a PhD in USA?
Ans. Pursuing a PhD in USA is not a cakewalk. At times, you may feel overburdened by deadlines and project submissions plus the amount of time and money you will have to commit for a PhD. But the results will definitely pay-off all your hard work and efforts.
Ques. Can PhD students work in USA?
Ans. Yes, international students with F-1 student visas can work up to 20 hours per week during sessions and full-time during breaks.