Mechanical Engineering is one of the oldest and the broadest disciplines in engineering that applies the principles of Engineering, Physics and Mathematics to design, analyze, manufacture and maintain mechanical systems. Mechanical Engineering requires an understanding of core concepts of Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Materials Science and Structural Analysis.
Mechanical Engineers work with machines and engines, ranging from elevator technology to robotics. Masters of Mechanical Engineering students focus on diverse areas such as Heat Transfer and Fracture Mechanics. By and large it deals with the design, production and operation of machinery.
The exact structure and content of each mechanical engineering program will be different depending on the university, however most will cover the same core areas:
- Engineering concepts
- Engineering mathematics
- Electrical and electronic systems
- Mechanics, structures and materials
- Systems modeling
Mechanical students study the concepts of Mechanics and Thermodynamics in-depth. Some of the core subjects for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering include:
- Combustion Fundamentals
- Energy Systems
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Conduction
- Vehicle Dynamics and Control
- Fatigue Design and Analysis
- Dynamic Systems
- Vibrations and Controls
Listed below are some of the specializations offered in a Masters in Mechanical Engineering:
- Energy & Sustainability
- Simulation-driven Engineering (SDE)
- Robotics & Control
- Engineering Management
- Engineering Design and Innovation
- Product Design and Development
Top Skills Needed to be a Mechanical Engineer
- Problem Solving. A portion of every mechanical engineer's day involves solving client problems.
- Creativity. Mechanical engineers often develop and design products.
- Clear communication abilities.
The Masters in Mechanical Engineering requirements are quite general across the world. Listed below are some of the basic requirements:
Most of the universities in the USA, Canada require you to give the GRE. Few universities from Germany require GRE scores. However, GRE is not required for admission to Australian universities.
IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines is required for MS in Mechanical Engineering.
Mechanical Engineering scholarships 2021 - 2022
- Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
- Undip Scholarships Indonesia Diponegoro University
- Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program AfDB 2021-22
- UK Dundee EU postgraduate Scholarships, 2021-22
- PhD Fully-Funded Positions in Mechanical-Structural Engineering, Australia 2021-22
- The South Asia Scholarship - University of Dundee UK 2021-2022
- University of Twente Scholarships Netherlands 2021-2022
- VinUniversity Scholarships for International Students, Vietnam
- EFS scholarship program Thailand 2021-2022 for International Students
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
- New Zealand Aid Programme 2021-2022 Scholarships for international students
Most mechanical engineering graduates will go on to become engineers, but there are several options you could choose from, including:
- Mechanical engineer
- Structural engineer
- Aerospace engineer
- Automotive engineer
However, because mechanical engineering degrees give you such a wide range of skills, there are plenty of other career paths you could take. Popular roles include:
- Auto electrician
- Transport planner
- Patent lawyer
- Production manager
- Manufacturing consultant/researcher