Selecting the best city for your further studies is definitely a crucial decision for every student. Over the years UK has made its mark by being home to some of the best student cities in the world. As per the QS Best Studies Cities 2023 rankings, 15 UK cities rank under the top 100 student-friendly cities. Based on desirability, affordability and student reviews, London holds the top spot. Renowned for academic excellence, UK is a dream destination for study-abroad aspirants. But is this information sufficient to select the best student cities UK?
No. Let’s explore a little more about best cities in UK for students and what they have to offer.
Table of Contents:
Top 10 Best Cities in UK for Students
It’s evident that studying in the UK is definitely advantageous for abroad students. But the question is, which city should you select for higher education in UK? Below mentioned are the best UK cities for international students with their QS Best Student Cities Ranking 2023.
- London, #1
- Edinburgh, #10
- Manchester, #25
- Glasgow, #25
- Coventry, #40
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, #42
- Birmingham, #45
- Bristol, #49
- Nottingham, #50
- Leeds, #56
Let’s learn more about these UK cities. This information will further help you select the best place to study in the UK.
Some of the well-known universities for higher education are located in London, making it one of the best place to study in UK. With numerous employment opportunities and various scholarships for international students, London has a strong community of Indian students. In crux, London is one of the best student cities in UK for international students. Also, this city ranks 1st in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Best Universities in London
- Imperial College London
- University College London (UCL)
- King's College London
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
What Can International Students Do in London?
If you’re planning to pursue higher studies in London, you’ll be fascinated with the nightlife of London. London has the best local/Indian restaurants, beers, and food joints to make the weekends more entertaining.
As the transportation system of London is famous worldwide, one can explore the other best cities in UK for international students. Or else you can:
- Visit the British Museum for free
- Explore the world-famous Buckingham Palace
- For some entertainment, visit the West End Theatre District
- Explore a wide range of cuisines at Camden Market on weekends.
Edinburgh, also known as Dunedin and ‘City of Hills,’ is blessed with natural beauty. As a student, if you love to stay surrounded by natural beauty, Edinburgh has become the best city in UK for Indian students. The world-famous Edinburgh Castle, flavorful scotch whisky, and local festivals will keep your daily routine full of motivation and entertainment. Above all, Edinburgh is also one of the most affordable cities in UK for students. Also, this city ranks 10th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Best Universities In Edinburgh
- The University of Edinburgh
- Heriot-Watt University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Queen Margaret University
What Can International Students Do in Edinburgh?
Being one of the best cities to study in UK, Edinburgh has a lot for international students. Below, we’re mentioning some interesting things students should do while studying at Edinburgh
- Learn the ceilidh dance
- Try neeps, tatties, and haggis at Grassmarket
- Climb at the top of Scott Monument
- Visit the Royal Mile and try different Scottish whiskeys
Manchester, also known as the second city of England is known for its diverse culture, vibrant street art, exciting nightlife and Victorian-era structures. This city ranks 25th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023. The Mancunians (Manchester locals) are very friendly and love to interact with the international students. Overall, undoubtedly, Manchester is one of the best cities in UK for international students for higher studies and advancement of careers.
Best Universities in Manchester
- The University of Manchester
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- University of Salford
- University of Bolton
- Royal Northern College of Music
What Can International Students Do In Manchester?
Exploring Manchester alone is itself a different yet mesmerising experience. Reminiscing the great Manchester Museum, cheering for the world-famous football teams at Old Trafford, and trying the Indian curries at Wilmslow Road will make your life full of fun and entertainment. Overall, Manchester is one of the best cities to live in UK for students. Some of the things you must do in Manchester while studying are as follows:
- Exploring the Asian-owned restaurants and supermarkets at Chinatown
- Watching live football matches at Old Trafford
- Seeing the rarest dinosaur skeletons at Manchester Museum
- Shopping and having fun with friends at the Trafford centre.
Suggested: Top Universities to Study in Manchester
Glasgow, also known as the world’s friendliest city, is full of architecturally impressive buildings. Besides being a perfect study destination, students who are enthusiastic Instagrammers and social media influencers will get good content to capture in Glasgow city. The education system in Glasgow follows international standards is a plus point for abroad students. For music and natural beauty lovers, Glasgow is one of the perfect student cities in UK. Also, this city ranks 25th like Manchester in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
The Best Universities in Glasgow
- University of Glasgow
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- University of Strathclyde
- The Glasgow School of Art
What Can International Students Do in Glasgow?
As an international student, you’ll have many good experiences while studying in Glasgow city. Some of the exciting things you can do in Glasgow are:
- Explore Glasgow Botanic Gardens
- Get into the boots of a Glaswegian and try the Drygate Brewery
- Wet your lips at Clydeside Distillery with single malt whiskey
- Visit the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- See the researches at the Glasgow Science Centre
Honestly, Coventry is actually one of the most underrated or overlooked cities in the UK. Yes, this statement might be surprising, but Coventry is the home to lush green spaces, Roman art galleries, and museums. If you love to surround yourself with friendly people and green spaces, Coventry is an ideal choice. Coventry University is the largest and most famous university of Coventry at #601-650 position in QS Global World Rankings 2022. Also, this city ranks 40th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023. As a result, Coventry has also become one of the best study destinations in the UK for international students.
The Best Universities in Coventry
What Can International Students Do in Coventry?
Coventry is one of the best city for students in UK, interested in having an adventurous life. In simpler words, abroad students won’t get bored while studying in Coventry. You can:
- Enjoy weekend picnics with friends at Coombe Abbey Park
- Take some inspiration from Herbert Art Gallery and Museum
- Do bird-watching from Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve
- Have a look at the oldest and rarest aircraft at the Midland Air Museum
6. Newcastle Upon Tyne
Famous for industrial heritage, exciting nightlife, and eponymous brown ale, Newcastle is also grabbing the attention of hundreds of international students every year. Undoubtedly, Newcastle has some of the best streets, having numerous art galleries, museums, street markets, pubs, clubs, theatres, etc. Like the other UK cities, you can expect top-notch quality education from the universities based in Newcastle. Besides, this city ranks 42nd in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Best Universities in Newcastle
What Can International Students Do in Newcastle?
Apart from studying, you can explore the following while living in Newcastle:
- Explore the historical Tyne Bridges
- Catch up with your friends and visit the Millennium Bridge
- Visit Newcastle’s historical castle
- Go shopping at Eldon Square
Explore the dinosaurs skeletons at Great North Museum: Hancock
Birmingham is one of the most desirable places to live in for international students. Also known as the ‘home of heavy metal,’ Birmingham grabs the attention of thousands of international students every year. The combination of modernity and British culture and a high-quality education system make Birmingham one of the best cities to study in the UK. Also, this city ranks 45th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Best Universities in Birmingham
What Can International Students Do in Birmingham?
As an international student, most of your time after university will be spent exploring Birmingham city. If you’re planning to visit Birmingham for further studies, you must do the following things:
- Try the local cuisines at the Michelin-starred restaurants
- Have a look at more than 1,000+ iconic motorcycles at National Motorcycle Museum
- Explore the magnificent sea life at the National Sea Life Center
- Taste the world’s best types of coffees at Damascena Coffee House
- Catch the Shakespeare Express and explore the city centre of Birmingham
Suggested: Top Universities to Study in Birmingham
Bristol is a city astride the River Avon in the southwest of England with a prosperous and unique maritime history. The city has a population of 686,000 people, average international fees of USD 30,500, and 102nd position in affordability rank. Also, this city ranks 49th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023. So international students can explore some of its top universities to pursue their higher education.
Best Universities in Bristol
What Can International Students Do in Bristol?
- Has the best and brightest student community
- Is a vibrant city with live music, art scenes, exciting places to eat, etc.
- The universities offer various scholarships, grants, etc.
- The harbour's 19th-century warehouses contain restaurants, shops, and cultural institutions like a contemporary art gallery, The Arnolfini.
Nottingham holds a special place in the British history books, being the hunting ground of Robin Hood. In addition, Nottingham city is the perfect combination of modernity and British culture. This is a city of culture and full of nightlife that doesn’t burn your pockets. Besides, it ranks 50th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Overall, Nottingham is a perfect study destination for international students.
Best Universities in Nottingham
What Can International Students Do in Nottingham?
International students studying in Nottingham are blessed to enjoy the calmness of the city and numerous tourist attractions. Students studying in Nottingham must:
- Explore the interiors of the Wollaton Hall
- Visit the old-themed Nottingham jail and court at National Justice Museum
- Spend some romantic time with your chic at Highfields Park
- Explore the Green’s Windmill, built by the father of George Green, one of the most popular mathematical physicists.
- Get some inspiration by visiting famous poet Lord Bryon's ancestral home, Newstead Abbey.
A newer entry in the QS Best Student Cities ranking 2023, Leeds ranks in 10th place this year. Leeds is the largest city in the county of West Yorkshire and home to two top-ranking universities—University of Leeds, Leeds Beckett University, etc. This year, Leeds earned its highest score in the international student view indicator. This indicator is based on a student survey that collects responses from more than 85,000 students globally. Besides, this city ranks 56th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Universities in Leeds
What Can International Students Do in Leeds?
- The city has a population of 793000 people with 78th employer activity rank
- The country has 4 major universities
- Its average international fee is USD 18,900
- The city has bars and live music under the converted railway arches
- Its Leeds Kirkgate market features 100s of indoor and outdoor stalls
Let’s check two more top cities in UK for international students.
With a high-quality education system and friendly lifestyle, hundreds of international students land in Aberdeen. For some entertainment, international students often go fishing because Aberdeen is the port city situated at the junction of the Dee and Don rivers. It’s evident that when you pursue higher studies in Aberdeen, you’ll indeed gather the best experiences of your life. Besides, this city ranks 68th in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023.
Best Universities in Aberdeen
What Can International Students Do in Aberdeen?
Some of the interesting activities students should engage in Aberdeen are as follows:
- Visit the town of Ellon, home to BrewDog’s largest brewery
- Climb the dunes with your chic at Balmedie Beach
- Confess all your wrongdoings at 21Crimes
- Click some pictures and videos between the tropics of the Winters Gardens
Brighton is one of the oldest cities of England situated on the Brighton’s coast of the English Channel. This city is one of the popular cultural hubs of England. It ranks 81st in the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2023. In addition, the University of Brighton is ranked in the list of top 50 UK universities. Coming back to Brighton city, the ancient town flaunts the historical landmarks, and Brighton beach is one of the popular tourist attractions.
The Best Universities in Brighton
What Can International Students Do in Brighton?
Brighton is popular among the abroad students not only for education but for various other recreational activities too. Below, we’re mentioning the things international students should do in Brighton.
- Catch up with your friends and visit Brighton Palace Pier
- Do some cycling on the undercliff path near the Brighton Marina
- Pick some excellent yet cheapest furniture for your accommodation from Era.
- Visit Brighton beach on weekends with your friends.
Well, the cities mentioned above are the best to study in UK. The selection of the right city for higher studies entirely depends on your personal preferences. You need to consider various factors like preferred courses, education system, tuition fee, specialization and cost of living in UK while choosing your ideal study destination in the UK.
By considering these factors and doing thorough research, you’ll be able to make the best decision for yourself and have a wonderful life as an international student in the United Kingdom. However, if in the process you get confused at any step or need expert end-to-end guidance from our counsellors, choose Yocket premium.