Transcripts are the most relevant proof of academics with details of your course and grades that can be used to offer admission to students. You may be asked to send official transcripts either after admission or at the time of application. Therefore, it is essential to know how to get transcript certificate? One thing you need to know is that only the institution where you completed your most recent education will be able to provide you with transcript certificates.
Universities may use unofficial transcripts to assess whether you meet the entry requirements or not but your admission will not be confirmed unless you provide an official transcript certificate.
The process to apply and get transcript certificates is quite easily navigable once you understand the steps. So if you are wondering how can I get a transcript, here we will clear your doubts regarding application for transcripts, where to get transcripts, documents required for transcript, etc.
Table of Contents:
Where to Get Transcripts?
Before understanding the procedure to apply for an academic transcript, it is important to know who can provide you with transcript certificates. Where you can get transcripts from depends on whether you are looking for official or unofficial transcripts. Let us take a look at how to get transcripts from college in India?
- Your previous institution’s registrar is responsible for transcripts and therefore, you need to contact the registrar to get official transcripts. Since transcripts are prepared after you have appeared for the final exam, you will have to either call or go in person to enquire about your transcripts.
- Unofficial transcripts may be available online on the university’s website. You can easily log into your student account and download the unofficial transcripts. However, most universities abroad do not accept unofficial transcripts which is why you need to apply for academic transcript.
Suggested: What are academic transcripts?
What is the Procedure to Apply for Transcripts?
Let us discuss how you can apply for academic transcript. The steps to get a transcript certificate are quite simple but time consuming. You are encouraged to apply at least 1 month in advance to receive your transcripts in time for admission to other universities. The process is time consuming because transcripts are only issued after the records of the student have been verified. Take a look at the procedure to apply for transcripts yourself:
- Learn about the transcript policy of your previous institution by contacting the admissions office.
- If you have attended several schools, make a list of the institutions because you will have to submit application for transcripts to them.
- Complete the application for academic transcript or transcript request form and submit it with documents required for transcript.
- You will be able to submit an application for academic transcript online and sometimes a small fee may be required.
- Once you have received your transcript certificate, figure out how you will be sending official transcripts to universities.
- After you send your transcripts to universities make sure you follow up to check whether they received it or not.
Suggested: How to send official transcripts to universities?
What Documents are Required to Apply for Transcripts?
You will have to submit a few documents required for transcript along with the application.
Apart from basic student details you may be asked for the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Receipt of payment of required fees
- Copies of marksheets and degree certificate
- Copies of photo ID proof
- Request letter of transcripts
- Acknowledgment receipt of application, if any
We shall now discuss how to get transcript certificate from an institution?
How to Get Transcript Certificate?
Transcripts can either be collected by students in person from the institution’s concerned office or delivered through post. While applying for a transcript certificate, you will be asked your preference for receiving the transcript certificate. Let us see how to get transcripts from college in India:
- If you wish to collect your transcripts in person, be punctual and go to the institution within the time period specified to avoid it from being marked as unclaimed.
- Colleges in India send students their transcript certificate by Indian Speed Post only. If you are requesting delivery of your transcripts by mail make sure you enter the correct address in the application.
How Long Does it Take to Get Transcript Certificate?
Generally, transcripts are issued within 1 to 4 weeks from submission of the application. Institutions in India also provide students the option to submit fastrack applications if they urgently require their transcripts. In such cases, an additional fee may be required. One of the most common reasons for delay in receiving transcripts is incomplete or incorrect information in your application. So be sure you do not enter incorrect information or submit the application without completing all compulsory fields in haste.
If you are planning to apply to institutions abroad, you cannot pick up and take your transcripts to every institution for submission. Therefore, you will need your institution to directly send transcripts to the new college or university you have applied to. This process can take up to a month especially if you are seeking transcripts from a large institution or one that you attended long back. This is why it is important to apply as early as possible so you have enough time in hand to make up for any delays.
Applying to colleges and universities can be stressful. If you previously attended several institutions, you can expect the process to be time-consuming as you will have to get in touch with each institution and gather all relevant academic details. Getting your transcripts is not something you need to worry about as long as you are aware of how to get transcript certificate and sample of academic transcript.