- For five consecutive years, the University of Montreal is the only Quebec university to rank among the top 100 employers in the country, according to Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
- Through 550 international agreements with educational institutions in over 65 countries, students of the university go abroad for studies, internships, and exchanges. Additionally, over 9000 foreign students choose the university for their studies; hailing from countries like France, China, Morocco, and Brazil, among many others.
- Offering over 5000 scholarships for students, the University of Montreal has various sources like companies, foundations, and various public and private organizations to fund a student’s studies. Moreover, under certain agreements signed between the state’s government and the governments of foreign countries, international students may be exempted from part of the tuition fees payable.
University of Montreal
University of Montreal
Established in 1878
Established in 1878
When in doubt...
Share to solve! Chat with 800+ similar aspirants!
The University of Montreal is a public research based university situated in Montreal in Quebec province of Canada. This university receives the largest sponsorship for the purpose of research which is third largest in Canada. This university receives approximately $525 million for the purpose of research. The University of Montreal is a member of the U15 universities and offers more than 650 odd undergraduate as well as graduate programs to almost 55000 students.
Some of the study areas and courses offered by this university are in the field of Arts and Science which includes Classical Studies, Medieval Studies, History, Geography, Spanish, Philosophy, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Communications, Mathematics and Statistics, Economics, Sociology, Political Sciences, Biological Sciences etc.
In the Faculty of Dentistry, Oral Health, Stomatology and Reconstructive Dentistry is covered; in the faculty of Education Teacher Training, Didactics, Administrative and Educational Foundations are included.
While in the faculty of Environmental Design Architecture, Urban Planning, Interior Design and Landscape Architecture are covered. Apart from this, the University of Montreal also offers degree courses in the field of Law, Graduate Studies, Medicine, Nursing, Music, Pharmacy, Optometry etc.
Top Reasons to Study in the University of Montreal
Cost of Studying at University of Montreal
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Average on-campus living expenses
Rankings for The University of Montreal
US World and News Report
QS World University Rankings
More rankings for this university
The University of Montreal is ranked among the top universities for international students in Canada. This university provides quality education and amazing career and learning opportunities. Next are its top international and national rankings by various reputed platforms.
- According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023, the University of Montreal ranked #111 among the other 1,799 global universities to receive a rank. This ranking is done under 104 regions and countries. Further, this ranking is based on four primary areas—Teaching, Research, Knowledge Transfer, and International Outlook.
- As per the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2021, the University of Montreal ranked #81 on the list.
- As per the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings 2022, the University of Montreal ranked 126-150th in the list.
- As per the Shanghai Rankings in the 2022 Academic Ranking of World Universities, University of Montreal holds the #101-150 rank.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #156 in the Best Global Universities ranking.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #6 in the Best Global Universities in Canada ranking.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #175 in the Subject Arts and Humanities ranking.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #277 in the Subject Mathematics ranking.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #152 in the Subject Microbiology ranking.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #123 in the Subject Cell Biology ranking.
- As per the US News 2022-2023, the University of Montreal ranks #377 in the Subject Chemistry ranking.
Admissions at The University of Montreal
Avg acceptance rate (Bachelors)
CA$109 - CA$112
How to Apply at University of Montreal
- Apply through the official website
- Choose your course
- Fill up your personal details
- Upload required documents
- Pay the application fee
Documents Required to Apply to University of Montreal
- Passport-size photographs
- Birth certificate
- Copy of passport
- Copy of visa
- Financial Statement
- High School Graduation Certificate
- Letters of recommendation
- Degree Transcripts (for students applying to undergraduate degree or graduate programs)
Note: The University of Montreal application fee is 102 CAD (6366 INR).
Exams Accepted By the University
University of Montreal eligibility requirements for international students are as follows:
630 or higher
English Proficiency Requirements
Here is the accurate University of Montreal admission requirements:
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university
Related Discussion for the Universities
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
3 months ago
4 months ago
5 months ago
5 months ago
6 months ago
Number of campuses the university has
Transportation in the city
The University of Montreal is located in Montreal, Quebec and the distance between the city and the university is less than six miles. Students can travel to the university by bus or by train. A bus journey lasts for 22 minutes and typically costs 3 USD (239 INR) while a taxi lasts for 9 minutes and costs between 10 to 13 USD (798 to 1038 INR). Alternatively, students can travel to the campus by metro.
Services offered by the university
The University of Montreal carries out its educational processes on eight campuses located across the country, all of which are sustainable and unique.
- The main University of Montreal campus is spread across 65 acres and has forty buildings.
- Located on the Laval Campus, the library has an extensive collection including research and printed and electronic material. Students can also access teamwork rooms, a reading lounge, and a separate study area. Additionally, the Laval campus is home to printing services, teamwork rooms, the satellite neuropsychology clinic, and other student services.
- Across its eight campuses, the university offers its students 14 libraries based on different subjects like music, law, health, environmental design, and literature and humanities, among many others. Libraries have three million books and documents with 4.2 million documents.
- The Saint-Hyacinthe campus, home to the university’s Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, provides its students with a veterinary state-of-the-art medical center that benefits from clinical professors, student interns, and residents.
- Hosting the fields of social sciences and intervention, the Longueuil Campus is equipped with a computer lab of 15 posts and 18 workplaces, activity rooms, and other general services.
- The MIL Campus, home to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, has 11 classrooms, 6 auditoriums, 190 cutting-edge research labs, and scientific facilities. Additionally, its library offers 330 spaces for individual work, 13 rooms for teamwork, and a visualization lab with 27 screens.
- The upcoming spacious and modern Brossard campus will provide students with virtual reality, self-production, and video-capture laboratories; multifunctional facilities for multimodal and hybrid teaching, and auditoriums, to name a few.
- The university supports students’ success by offering educational and professional guidance and information, academic and career guidance, learning support, and career counseling.
- The University of Montreal and its students host a series of exciting lectures, workshops, exhibitions, and shows, all year round including music training, choir ensembles, dance and theater workshops, and cinema screenings, among many others.
- Student groups recognized by the university surround areas of interest like arts and recreation, skills development, cultural diversity, academics, environment, politics, health, solidarity, and a couple others.
- Student-athletes compete in ten men’s and women’s sports including football, hockey, soccer, rugby, tennis, and cheerleading, among a few others. Additionally, other sports like cycling, cross-country skiing, squash, and baseball among 11 other sports clubs are also offered by the university.
- One of the country’s largest sports complexes, the on-campus CEPSUM provides a variety of high-caliber sports facilities including a kinesiology clinic, a physiotherapist, and a sports medicine clinic.
- The university offers a resto-pub and a local restaurant with tasty, eco-responsible, and affordable cuisine.
On campus accomodation
The University of Montreal offers off-campus accommodation for all students through Zum, which is only two minutes away from the campus.
Zum, residences of the university offer housing through furnished and well-equipped single and double studios. The rooms and their rates are listed below.
- In the residence hall, accommodation types include Simple Studio, Double Studio, Suite with bathroom (for girls) and Adapted Studio (for students with special needs).
- The cost of accommodation is roughly between 412 CAD - 776 CAD (25,413 INR - 47,867) per month.
University Faculty:Student Ratio1:9
University Faculty Stats
The University of Montreal is staffed with 7400 teachers and academics with a student-to-faculty ratio of 9:1. The university has a total of 20,641 students with a gender distribution of 41% male students and 59% of female students.
University Endowments Value
Research opportunities at university
With over 500 million in research funding, the University of Montreal ranks fourth among the top universities in the country largely due to the high volume of its research activities. The university offers its students and its 2500 professors and researchers 200 research centers, chairs, groups, and institutes. Research is conducted in the fields of data science, artificial intelligence, cancer mechanisms, criminal behavior, sustainability, and psychology, among many others. Additionally, the university provides information on grants, research contracts, commercializing research results, and applying research findings.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
Students carry out internships as an academic requirement to earn university credits while gaining practical industrial experience across many educational departments. Career development counselors assist students with accompaniment, support, tools, resources, and personalized coaching to undertake an internship.
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
According to the Global University Employability Rankings, the University of Montreal ranks 47th in the world for the reputation of its graduates among employers. Students are provided with a job platform to receive offers in their field of study or view job postings in other categories. Graduates have previously worked or are currently working at reputable establishments like the National Bank of Canada, Indian Institute of Technology, Google, IndiGo Airlines, McKinsey & Company, Siemens, EY, Bira 91, Tech Mahindra, and Emirates Muscat, among others. The average annual salary is 109234 EUR (8809515 INR).
1. What are the University of Montreal tuition fees?
The University of Montreal tuition fee per year for international undergraduate and graduate students is roughly 20,000 CAD (12,36,260 INR) and 24,000 CAD (14,83,512 INR), respectively.
2. What are the University of Montreal GPA requirements?
The University of Montreal GPA requirement for international students is between 3.0 over 4.3 (or the equivalent).
3. What is the University of Montreal's acceptance rate?
The University of Montreal's acceptance rate is between 40 to 50%.
4. What are the University of Montreal courses?
The University of Montreal courses extend over 300 undergraduate programs and 350 programs at the Masters's and Ph.D. levels.
5. Are there any University of Montreal scholarships for international students?
The University of Montreal scholarships for international students are based on need and academic achievements for selective programs.