Marketing is the study of customer-relationships. It is the most essential part of any business enterprise and helps promote one’s business and its reach in society. According to American Marketing Association, marketing is defined as “the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large”.
A Masters in Marketing course diversifies your skills by studying the practical and theoretical frameworks that underpin great marketing.
Typically, a Masters in Marketing degree lasts one or two years full-time, with part-time and online programs also available. Students will spend the first half of their course taking a series of required, core modules in topics such as marketing theory and practice, consumer behavior, communications, marketing finance and competitive intelligence.
You will then progress to more advanced courses, and get the chance to choose specialized marketing topics that align with your marketing skills, interests and career objectives. While modules offered will vary at each institution, typical specializations you can choose from include brand management, business sustainability, consumer behavior, contemporary marketing practice, customer insight, digital landscape, digital marketing and social media, entrepreneurship, innovation and new product development, marketing analysis, marketing consultancy, marketing strategy, online technology in marketing, and relationship marketing.
Students of Masters in Marketing get to know about the basic principles associated with the field and how they are applied in the real world. Some of the subjects include:
- Business to Business Marketing
- Global Marketing Techniques
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Strategy and Management
- Product Management
- Retail and Sales Management
- Logistical Strategies
- Corporations and Financing
Some of the specializations offered for Masters in Marketing include:
- Digital Marketing
- Public Relations
- Marketing Research and Analytics
- Marketing Management
- Social Media Marketing
- Integrated Marketing Communications
Common skills gained from a graduate marketing degree include:
- Solid understanding of all marketing topics, practices, principles, models and theories
- Expert understanding of traditional and modern marketing issues and concerns
- Advanced knowledge of marketing strategies, including how to apply and adapt them across a wide range of markets
- Strong understanding of separate marketing functions and their impact on one another
- Expert ability to use statistical and other marketing software
- Ability to analyze and evaluate developments in consumer behavior and the market (both local and international)
- Ability to work to a marketing brief, including fulfilling both conceptual and operational requirements
- Ability to identify new marketing opportunities
- Overview of general management principles, concerns and issues
- Enhanced research skills, which may be useful for proceeding to a PhD program
- Ability to research and critically assess key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Ability to diagnose problems accurately and solve them creatively
- Ability to communicate effectively (in both oral and written contexts)Good presentation skills, including ability to persuade and to negotiate
- Seamless ability to work in a team, and to lead a team
- Ability to think strategically and critically
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to be self-aware and self-critical
- Ability to carry out consumer research
- Good numeracy skillsGeneral political, intercultural and commercial awareness
The requirements for a Masters in Marketing are quite general across the world. Here are some of the basic requirements that you will need:
- Business Schools require you to give GMAT which forms the most important part of your application.
- Few universities also accept GRE scores in place of GMAT scores.
- They also require a minimum 2-3 years of work experience (depending on the program you intend to join).
- IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring a student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
- A Bachelor’s degree with excellent scores.
- Three or more years of work experience in some universities
Marketing scholarships 2021 - 2022
- Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
Atlas Corps Emerging Global Leaders Professional International
- Fellowships in USA 2021-2022
- MSc International Awards at King’s Business School, UK 2021-22
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
- New Zealand Aid Programme 2021-2022 Scholarships for international students
- Australia Awards Scholarships for International Students
- Global Korea Scholarship - Funded by Korean Government
- MPhill PhD Scholarships Lingnan University HongKong
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
- ANU Chancellor’s International Scholarship
5 Jobs to Pursue as a Master's in Marketing Graduate :
- Marketing Research Analyst.
- Marketing Director.
- Fundraising Professional.
- Sales Professional.