If you wish to study in the UK, you must display exceptional English language skills. It is a well known fact that IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the most popular language proficiency test in the UK and most of the universities require international students to provide language proficiency test scores. However, it is also possible to study in UK without IELTS. There are many ways to get admission in UK universities without IELTS provided that you furnish other required documents. In this blog we have discussed everything that you need to know about UK admission without IELTS. So, keep on reading right till the end!
Table of Contents:
What is IELTS?
Before understanding how to study in UK universities without IELTS exam, let us first understand what exactly an IELTS exam is. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standardized language assessment examination used by various universities around the world to evaluate the language skills of international students.
Students will be tested in 4 sections in this test which are: Reading, writing, listening and speaking. The test is 3 hour long and students will receive an overall score for all of their basic English language skills. Exams like these are required in English-speaking countries to test your language skills so that you can understand the courses taught in English in such countries. However, it is not always mandatory. You can also study in UK without giving the IELTS exam. Continue reading to learn more about it.
How To Study in UK Without IELTS?
Since many international students already display excellent English language skills, many universities in the UK have decided to not put international students through the IELTS exam.
Requirements To Study in UK Universities Without IELTS
IELTS is not the only way through which the British universities can evaluate your English language proficiency. The universities ask for other requirements to check your proficiency in such cases:
- Pre-sessional English course: Many universities in UK offer pre-sessional courses for students who wish to study in UK without the IELTS. These pre-sessional courses are a great way to improve your English language skills and needed classroom skills. If you couldn’t score well in the IELTS exam or if for some reason you missed the IELTS exam, you can always opt for such pre-sessional courses.These courses are 4 to 10 weeks in duration, depending on your choice and requirement.
- Certificate of English as an Official Language: Some without IELTS Universities in UK also accept an English proficiency certificate from your previous employer as proof of English language proficiency. The certificate should prove the following:
- English is the official language at your workplace
- You have fluency in English
- You are competent in writing and communicating in English
- English marks obtained in high school: If you have scored 70% or more in your 10th and 12th class English then some universities in the UK can consider those marks instead of IELTS.
- Interview: Many universities in the UK have interviews as a part of their application process. These interviews are held to see how serious you are about studying in the UK and also to gauge your English language proficiency. If you do well in the interview, you may not have to give the IELTS exam.
- English Medium School - If you were in a school where the main medium of language was English, you can provide a proof that you attended an English medium school and you can use this fact as English language proficiency and then you might not have to give the IELTS exam.
- English Major - If you studied English as a major or specialization for your bachelors, you do not need to give IELTS.
You must make sure that you check with the university regarding which of the above do they consider as an alternative to IELTS.
Alternatives To Giving IELTS in UK
There are various alternatives to giving IELTS. These include giving other standardized tests. Different universities have different requirements when it comes to language proficiency.
Some universities may ask you to give tests other than the IELTS and some may not. Check with your university first before starting your application process. Some of the popular standardized tests for testing English language are mentioned below:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language)
- Duolingo English Test
- Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE)
UK Universities Accepting Admissions Without IELTS
There are various without IELTS universities in UK which accept admissions without IELTS scores.
Here is a look at the list of UK universities without IELTS requirements:
Requirements to Study Without IELTS
Apart from the universities mentioned above, there are many more UK universities without IELTS requirement. These are listed below:
- University of Basel
- Birmingham City University
- Riga Technical University
- Northumbria University
- University of Bolton
- University of Northampton
- University of Plymouth
- Portsmouth University
- Swansea University
- University of Greenwich
- University of Central Lancashire
- Aston University
It is recommended that you check the language requirements for particular courses you are interested in before starting the application process.
UK Student Visa Without IELTS
Wondering if it’s possible to get UK study visa without IELTS? Well, it absolutely is! You can get the UK study visa without IELTS only if you provide the immigration authorities with an official document from the university you have been admitted to saying that you are eligible for a study visa without IELTS. Here are the key UK student visa requirements for Indian students:
- A document attested by your university with the statement that you can apply for UK study visa without IELTS scores
- Acceptance letter from a university in the UK
SUGGESTED: How to apply for a UK Student Visa?
Students can also take the Secure English Language Test (SELT) mandated by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as a valid proof for English proficiency without IELTS.
Studying in UK without IELTS makes the admission process much easier for international students. However, every university has its own criteria when it comes to language proficiency. Hence it is very important to check the language criteria before applying to universities in the UK.
Frequently Asked Questions About Studying in UK without IELTS
- Is it possible to study in UK without IELTS?
Ans. Yes, it is! You can study in UK without IELTS provided that you submit the proof of other documents supporting your English proficiency like your 10th and 12th grade marks in English, e other standardized tests for English or pre-sessional English courses or give an interview.
- What are the UK student visa requirements for Indian Students without IELTS?
Ans. Without IELTS student visa in UK process is different from that of getting a regular student visa.You will have to show the immigration authorities an official document by the university you have been accepted to saying that you have been allowed to study in UK without giving IELTS.
- Can I get admission without IELTS in universities in UK?
Ans. Yes, you can! Many universities accept applications from students who do not have IELTSscores.
- Is IELTS mandatory for UK student visa?
Ans. IELTS for UKVI is an English language proficiency test approved for the UK visa and immigration purposes. However, if you are going to be studying in UK without IELTS, you need to provide an official document from the university you have been admitted to, saying that you are going to be studying in UK without IELTS. Some of these are- University of Warwick, University of Bristol, University of Essex, etc.