- Athabasca University accepts previous education achieved through colleges, technical institutes, or professional organisations through approved transfer agreements. Several educational providers in Canada have developed block credit transfer agreements, granting programme graduates a set number of credits toward a specific degree.
- Athabasca is the first Canadian post-secondary university to join Amazon Web Services, Inc. in a formal partnership (AWS). The two institutions will also design, implement, and manage cloud education programmes, artificial intelligence and machine learning efforts, and research-based applications for the education sector as part of this collaboration, which will upgrade AU's IT infrastructure.
- For international students, the institute offers a variety of awards and Athabasca University scholarships in Canada. The organisation awards 55 scholarships to students based on their academic level, residency, and other characteristics.
- AU also supports the publishing of the International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, a well-known and often cited scholarly journal in the field of distance and open education that is listed in the Social Sciences Citation Index.
Established in 1970
Established in 1970
When in doubt...
Share to solve! Chat with similar aspirants!
Canadian public research university, Athabasca University offers a large number of distance education programs online. Founded in 1970, Alberta's Athabasca Uuniversity was the first one to specialize in distance education in Canada. It is one of four comprehensive universities in Alberta. It was established with the goal of removing barriers to adult learners' access to education all around the world. It offers nearly 40,000 students high-quality post-secondary education through more than 850 courses and 55 undergraduate and graduate programmes. It is also one of Alberta's four public comprehensive universities and one of Canada's top-ranked higher education institutions.
The Athabasca University courses for international students, include undergraduate courses and short-term graduate courses related to arts, science and professions. The institute has signed over 350 collaboration agreements with other Canadian and foreign post-secondary schools and employers throughout the years. The institute is clearly a site of diversity and inclusion in the country, with a total student enrollment of over 40,000, including international candidates from over 87 countries.
Top Reasons to Study in the Athabasca University
Cost of Studying at Athabasca University
Average tuition fee
Availed education loan
Loan amount sanctioned
Assistance for loan process
Rankings for The Athabasca University
More rankings for this university
Athabasca University is one of Canada's reputedly ranked higher education institutions, as well as one of Alberta's four public comprehensive universities.
Some of the Athabasca University World Rankings are listed below:
- A country ranking of #44
- 389th in the continental rankings
- Athabasca University ranks 1424th in the world
Admissions at The Athabasca University
How to Apply at Athabasca University
Athabasca University International students can submit their application form through the online application platform “ApplyAlbreta”
Applicants must follow the following steps in order to complete their application:
- UG applicants must fill the Undergraduate General Application and PG applicants must fill the Graduate Application Form at the online application platform.
- Choose a programme, a course, and fill out other pertinent information.
- Be sure to complete all the sections on the form.
- Before submitting the form, upload the relevant papers and properly review your application.
- Pay the application fees.
Note: The Athabasca University application fee is: 118 CAD (7,011 INR)
Documents Required to Apply to Athabasca University
For Completing the Athabasca University Admission process, the applicants must submit the following documents:
- Official Transcripts from High School
- Previous Diplomas
- Post-secondary education records
- Undergraduate degree credits
- Foreign credentials from other institutions (if applicable)
- Work and Life experiences
- Letters of reference
Exams Accepted By the University
Athabasca University requirements for admission may vary. Thus, before they begin their applications, applicants should carefully examine the requirements of the course they intend to enroll in.
TOEFL - PBT
TOEFL - IBT
TOEFL - CBT
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university
MSc in Information Systems
Sign up to unlock Admit Predictor and know your admit chances for this course.
Transportation in the city
- Because of the university's distance learning platform, it does not offer transportation services.
- However, public transportation such as buses and taxis are the fastest and affordable way to reach the university.
Services offered by the university
- Athabasca University is the primary campus, with others in Edmonton and Calgary, as well as the Center for Innovative Management and AU Learning Link.
- As it is an online university, distance learners can attend classes from anywhere in the world.
- As an open institution, AU works to remove obstacles that restrict people from seeking higher education.
- AU helps people continue their education regardless of where they reside, their educational backgrounds, or their professional or family obligations by providing flexible online and remote learning options.
- Athabasca University has a well-equipped library for its students. It's a one-of-a-kind learning environment in which hardcover books and internet materials coexist to create the ideal learning environment.
With 40,000 students globally, AU is one of the world's leading and fastest-growing online and distance education providers.
AU is dedicated to innovation, learning flexibility, and teaching, research, and scholarly excellence.
On campus accomodation
There is no on-campus accommodation facility available at the campus because Athabasca is a distant education provider with a non-residential campus.
Check: Cost of Living in Canada
University Faculty Stats
Distinguished faculty members work tirelessly to ensure high-quality education and administrative support at the university. Total faculty members at the university are 1327, and the student- to- faculty ratio is 30:1.
Research opportunities at university
College of Health Disciplines, College of Business, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Science and Technology, and College of Graduate Studies are the five faculties that make up AU. AU invests about $2 million on research each year. In addition, the university actively supports and maintains high research standards across all disciplines.
Four Canada Research Chairs, one NSERC/Xerox/Markin/ICORE Research Chair, and one of three UNESCO/COL Chairs are held by the university. The Athabasca University Research Centre, along with the Technology Enhanced Knowledge Research Institute and the Centre for World Indigenous Knowledge and Research, is the university's principal research centre. The WestGrid Research Network has AU as a participant.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
Career Cruising provides Athabasca University’s students with career opportunities and career tools.The Athabasca University’s Student’s Union assists in providing career opportunities to the students by providing them
- Job Resources
- Building a Resume
- Career Fairs across Canada
- Interview preparation tips
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
Graduates of the Master of Counseling program have a 93% employment rate with an average salary of 65,000 USD (50,25,507 INR). With 100% job placement for graduates of the Master of Nursing program, students earn an average salary of 70,000 USD (54,12,085 INR).