Choosing your field of study after completing 12th is crucial. This is the time you choose your prospective career. While there are several top universities in India, you can also explore the global education system by studying abroad. And one of the best study abroad destinations is Canada. Offering a number of scholarships for Indian students to study in Canada after 12th, the country presents a bright future to many aspirants.
If you wish to study in Canada after 12th, this blog will surely serve your purpose. Here we have discussed everything about how to study in Canada after 12th along with its education system, eligibility, scholarships and some best Canada courses after 12th.
Table Of Content
This video talks about the minutest details of studying abroad in Canada after 12th, including cost to study, scholarships, exams required, admission deadlines, etc.
What are the Advantages of Studying in Canada After 12th
Study in Canada for Indian students after 12th is comforting because of the large Indian population. About 1.37 million Indians reside in Canada. Hence, making you less homesick. Apart from this, there are added advantages of studying in Canada. Such as:
- Academic excellence: There are around 26 top universities for students who wish to study in Canada after 12th. From research-based universities to Colleges, Canada focuses on overall student success and development.
- Affordability: Studying in Canada after 12th is affordable. The cost of a Bachelor degree in Canada ranges from 5500 CAD to 30,000 CAD for international students.
- Full-of-life Canadian Culture: Canadians are fun-loving and believe in enjoying their life. A number of fun events, student communities and other cultural activities keep the students entertained.
Now that we know the reasons to study in Canada after 12th for Indian students and other international students, let us look at the Canada education system:
Education System in Canada to Study after 12th
Choosing the right course, degree/certificate and the University or College you want to study in is an important decision to make. Thus, let’s understand the secondary education system of Canada in brief.
- Remember, unlike India, Canada differentiates between university education and College education.
- At Canadian universities, you will secure a Bachelor, Master or Doctoral degree.
- Canadian Colleges offer Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas, Postgraduate Diplomas etc.
To give you more clarity, have a look at the table below:
Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning Institute
Public or Private
Many other schools, colleges etc too function in Canada. However, they offer only diplomas and certification courses to students. Anyway, keep yourself focused on the requirements of studying in Canada after the 12th to further gauge the scenario.
Eligibility And Requirements to Study in Canada After 12th
To get a Bachelor degree in Canada for international students you need to fulfil the accepted eligibility criteria. That are:
1. 12th Class
To pursue a Bachelor degree in Canada for international students you must have completed the necessary 10+2 years of education abroad. You should have a minimum of 65% to get an admit to a good Canadian university.
2. IELTS Score
Studying at undergraduate universities in Canada will require you to prove your English proficiency. A minimum of 6.5 overall IELTS score is required. Also, each of your band scores should be a minimum of 6 to study in Canada.
Some universities accept students without an IELTS test score. You should check out the official website of your desired university to gather their requirements.
Statement Of Purpose or an SOP is a document that you attach to universities abroad. An SOP expresses your achievements, qualifications, hobbies etc showcasing your interest in pursuing higher education in a particular field. To study Bachelors in Canada compose a tight SOP reflecting your personality.
Letter Of Recommendations are a great way of conveying to the university about your expertise and interest in a particular field. Letters of recommendations from your mentors about your sincerity and character will help you impress your desired Canadian university admission council.
5. A valid passport and student visa
Studying abroad is impossible without a valid passport and a student visa. In the case of Canada, you will require a Canadian study permit to pursue your studies. Make sure that you have your passport in hand before applying to university in Canada.
Related Discussion: What is the process to study in Canada after a diploma in India?
Top Courses to Study in Canada after 12th
There are several top undergraduate courses in Canada after 12th at universities and colleges. Although, make sure you choose to study courses in Canada after 12th that meet your interest. Choose to study subjects that lead you to the career you aspire to pursue.
Popular Arts Courses In Canada After 12th
- BA English
- BA Economics
- BA Sociology
- BA Psychology
- BA in Political Science
- BA History
- BA Geography
- Bachelor of Arts and Cultural Studies
- BA Public Administration
- Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Mass Communication
- Bachelors in Fashion Designing
- Bachelors in Journalism
- Bachelors in Digital Media
Popular Commerce Courses In Canada After 12th
- BCom (Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Taxation, Advertising)
- BCA Or Bachelor Of Computer Applications
- Bachelor in Cost Accounting
- Bachelor in HR Management, Business Administration, Hotel Manage
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Foreign Trades
- Company Secretary
- Accountancy Courses
- Bachelor of Economics
Best Science Courses In Canada After 12th
- E/ B. Tech
- Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch)
- Sc. (Science)
- BCA (IT and Software)
- Sc. (IT and Software)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Mechanical and Material Science Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Mining Engineering
- Post Basic B. Sc. Nursing
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
Admission Process to Study in Canada after 12th
Study in Canada Bachelor degree process is quite straightforward. Once you shortlist your desired university you can apply online through the official university website by creating a student account.
Canada offers three intakes every year - During Fall (September), Winter (January) and Summer (May). To apply to universities in Canada for Bachelors you must:
- Check the eligibility requirements of your desired course and university.
- Take the required IELTS, GMAT/GRE, SATtests
- Apply online on the official university website
- Await the university response, some admission committees might want to take your interview.
- Upon confirmation of your Bachelor’s admission, you can go proceed to complete the necessary formalities to get a Canada study permit and travel.
Cost to Study in Canada after 12th
One of the most important aspects of studying abroad is the cost. If you decide to study in Canada, you will definitely have to take into account the cost of studying. Let’s give you an overview of the same below:
Cost Of Study In Canada After 12th
Your cost of studying mainly comprises of the study in Canada after 12th fees. The tuition fees you will be required to pay varies on the course you opt for. However, the cost of a Bachelor ranges anywhere between 11,000 CAD - 30,000 CAD/year. Along with this, you will be spending 50 CAD - 200 CAD on application fees and about 150 CAD on a student visa.
Cost Of Living In Canada
The cost of living in Canada includes the money you will be spending on your living in Canada. This includes your rent, food, shopping and other expenses.
Cost in CAD
1000 - 1500
100 - 500
Your overall study in Canada after 12th cost sums up to 1200 CAD - 1500 CAD/month. You can go ahead and reduce your overall cost of studying and living in Canada by choosing to study in Canada after 12th with scholarships.
Scholarships To Study in Canada After 12th
If you are keen on studying in Canada. But, your finances do not agree with you, it’s still okay! Canadian universities present a number of facilities to study in Canada after 12th with scholarships to ease your financial burden.
Best Canada scholarships to study Bachelors include:
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships:
This scholarship covers the study cost of four years bachelor degree. It is awarded to international students who have displayed remarkable excellence in their academics.
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships:
This is a scholarship for new joiners with 90% and above scores.
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships:
About CA $ 60,000 is given to exceptional international students over the course of 4 years.
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders:
The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders is awarded to international students entering any of the University’s divisions for the first time. The scholarships range from CA$3,500 – CA$5,000.
How to get a Study Permit to Study in Canada after 12th?
Once you have been accepted into a university or a college in Canada, you need a study permit to fly abroad. To apply for a study permit:
- Book an appointment at the visa office nearest to you.
- Carry all the required documents to apply for the study permit. (Passport, Visa application, University acceptance letter, Bank statements, IELTS score, Passport size photographs, Loan documents, Medical records etc.)
- Pay the student visa application fee of 150 CAD.
- Attend the visa interview
- Submit your biometric.
- Await your student permit.
The above process is common to all students aspiring to study in Canada. It is recommended that you apply for a visa at least 4-6months prior to your course commencement as it can take some time. The process usually takes about a months time to be completed.
After walking through every important aspect of studying in Canada after 12th, it is natural to feel excited yet nervous at the same time. The various challenges you will face will definitely remind you of the butterflies in your stomach. But, hold on to the ride, as your destination will make it worthwhile!
Or you can also reach out to a study abroad counsellor to help you through your journey to Canada. For starters, fix up a FREE 15 mins consultation call.
Frequently asked Questions about Studying in Canada after 12th
- Which course is best in Canada after 12th?
Ans: Some of the best courses to study in Canada are:
- E/B. Tech.
- Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch)
- BSc (Science)
- BSc (IT and Software)
- Media studies
- Healthcare professional
- How much does it cost to study in Canada after 12th?
Ans: The average overall cost of studying in Canada per year is about CA$ 40,000 and up wards depending on the specialisation you choose.
- Which are some of the scholarships to study in Canada after 12th for Indian students?
Ans: Some of the scholarships Indians can apply for to study in Canada are:
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders