While it may appear tough, Ireland's student visa success rate is sky-scraping. Known for its research capabilities, Ireland makes up to top countries to study abroad. Every non-EU student needs to get an Ireland student visa for studying in Irish universities. The type of Irish study visa you’d need will depend on your age, the type of study you wish to pursue in Ireland, and the duration of your study.
The process for an Irish student visa is streamlined and smooth if initiated on time. Even before you get into how to apply for an Ireland study visa, you should be aware of the types of the visa. Knowing that will help you figure out which one would suit you best. So, keep reading as this blog will be your complete guide to applying for a student visa Ireland from India.
Ireland Student Visa Updates
All international students willing to study in Ireland with an offer from an Irish higher education institution are welcomed to apply for their relevant Irish study visa.
- International higher education students have been exempted from the category ‘non-essential international travel’.
- International students travelling to Ireland no longer need to reflect a negative PCR test or show proof that they have been fully vaccinated with an Irish government recognized COVID-19 vaccine.
The government has also updated the website for appointment registration which usually was conducted offline previously.
Suggested: Post Study Work Visa for Ireland
Benefits of an Ireland Student Visa
An Ireland student visa is a special endorsement added to a government passport. This is issued to any student enrolled at recognized educational institutions across Ireland. An Irish study visa is a non-immigrant visa that does not require the holder to obtain Irish citizenship.
Hence, some of the Ireland student visa benefits are:
- Study in a recognized Irish university without any complications
- Get access to the world of Innovation and research in Ireland
- Avail yourself a chance of bagging great work opportunities and industrial exposure
- Stay and study in Ireland for the specified duration
- Take up casual employment of up to 20 hours of part-time work per week in term time or up to 40 hours per week during college Irish vacation periods
Check Out: The Irish Education System
Ireland Student Visa Eligibility
Any international student with an acceptance letter from a recognized Irish university is eligible to apply for Ireland student visa. Any letter with incomplete steps or tentative confirmation is not entertained at the visa office.
You should also be able to qualify for the English language proficiency exams like IELTS, TOEFL, and others in order to apply for Ireland student visa.
Types of Student Visa in Ireland
The Ireland study visa differs as per your nationality. If you're not based out of the EU or EEA, you need to apply for a visa to study in Ireland. There are two type of Ireland visa options:
- C-type study visa: for when your study program/course will last less than 3 months i.e. 90 days
- D-type study visa: for when your study program/course will last longer than 3 months.
So, it is clear that the type of visa you need to apply for will depend on the length of your degree. And accordingly, you can choose from the type of Ireland student visa as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance.
Ireland Study Visa Requirements
Ireland is unbinding when it comes to the requirements of D-type visas. It has a long list of requirements and is attentive to all of them.
Given below is the list of Ireland student visa requirements you must keep ready before applying for a student visa for Ireland:
- Valid passport
- Letter of Acceptance from recognized colleges/ universities in Ireland
- Proof of payment of the university registration and tuition fees
- Evidence accounting for any gaps in your educational history
- English Proficiency Scorecard of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE
- Two recent colour passport-size photographs
- A signed letter of application including your full contact details (stating the reasons you want to study in Ireland)
- Copies of all academic transcripts
- Copies of all exam results
- Proof you have sufficient funds to support your stay in Ireland (a minimum of EUR 7,000 to EUR 10,000 is suggested)
- Medical Insurance
- Commitment to leave Ireland on the expiry of your visa
Ireland Student Visa Fees
The Ireland study visa cost is considered to be quite reasonable. The Ireland study visa fees covers the cost of processing your application from start till the end. The Ireland study visa cost has been tabulated below:
It should also be noted that this fee is non-refundable and will not be refunded even if your application is refused or withdrawn.
When to Apply for Ireland Student Visa
It is recommended that you should apply for an Irish study visa as early as possible before you move to Ireland. You should also check the Ireland student visa updates beforehand. If you have received the admission letter at your end, it marks a good time to start with the visa application.
This will increase your chances of getting approved and give you sufficient time to re-apply in case your visa gets rejected. So, any time before 4-6 months would be a good time to apply for an Ireland Student Visa.
How to Apply for Student Visa Ireland
You can apply for a study visa up to 6 months before your date of arrival in Ireland. Given below are the steps to apply for a student visa to study in Ireland:
- Visit the official website of INIS and apply for a visa that fits the duration of your program.
- Fill the application with all the true information.
- Take a note of your ‘Unique Visa Transaction Number’ and print the application form.
- Collect all the essential documents required(stated above) for an Ireland student visa.
- You may submit the application form either through mail or via post.
Ireland Student Visa Processing Time
The Ireland student visa processing time is usually 4-8 weeks from the date of application. Your application will take longer if you forget or need to re-submit any documents. so, it's worth making sure you supply everything the first time round. Though the Ireland student visa success rate is high, it is always better to apply in advance and not face the challenges of Irish visa refusal.
Ireland Student Visa Interview
Another last step after the application is the interview. It is not mandatory to appear for an interview for an Ireland study visa. The requirement can vary depending upon your application and documents.
The Irish student visa interview will mostly be to assure that you will adhere to the set conditions of your visa. It will also revolve around your plans to leave the country once the visa expires. A few questions about why you wish to pursue your study in Ireland might also be asked.
After reviewing your application, the consular will decide if to call you for the interview and so on your visa application.
Ireland Student Visa Success Rate
Counted in the list of countries with good visa success rates, Ireland's student visa success rate is great as compared to other European countries. The Irish student visa rejection rate of 1-4%. This indicates that around 94% of all international student visa applications will be accepted by the embassy.
From the figures for 2019, the global visa acceptance rate in Ireland was 89.6%, reflecting that over 10% of visas were rejected. Following the guidelines attentively can count your visa application in the success rate. You should also be aware that due to Covid-19, a huge impact on visa and other documents’ processing timing exists. Hence, it is always recommended to consult the nearest INIS office for an Irish study visa. You can also connect with our Yocket Counsellors to know more about the Ireland student visa process.
Frequently Asked Questions about Ireland Student Visa
Ques. Are there any interviews for Ireland student visa?
Ans. Few applicants are called for interviews at the Irish Visa Facilitation Service centre. However, it is not a mandatory step for an Ireland student visa.
Ques. Is IELTS required for Ireland Student Visa?
Ans. Yes, IELTS or any other global english proficiency test like TOEFL are required for an Ireland student visa. A minimum of 6.0 band in IELTS would be required for an Irish student visa.
Ques. How much funds are required for an Ireland student visa?
Ans. It is suggested to be able to show evidence of having at least EUR 7,000 to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay.
Ques. Is an Irish student visa easy to get?
Ans. Ireland authorities are mindful of its requirements. If those requirements are fulfilled by you, it is easy to get an Ireland student visa.