IELTS helps universities recognize the English proficiency levels of a student. This is one of the main reasons why most top universities abroad expect a good IELTS score from international students. But having said that, what is the best way to prepare for IELTS?
Just finding the right resources for IELTS exam preparation is not enough. You need also to conduct efficient IELTS academic preparation. A good IELTS preparation increases your chances of scoring well in the exam and builds confidence. Thus to smoothen this process for you better, this blog covers everything you need to know about IELTS exam preparation, IELTS exam preparation online, IELTS general preparations, etc.
How To Conduct At-Home IELTS Exam Preparation?
At the comfort of your home you can conduct IELTS general preparation.
The first step towards IELTS self preparation is understanding every section of the paper and knowing the IELTS test.
Let’s discuss some ways to pursue IELTS Academic preparation at home:
- Understand your IELTS test: Knowing the nuances of the test will help you stay on track to prepare for the IELTS English test.
- Know the different sections and question types: Understand the Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing sections of IELTS and also check out the types of questions you are likely to answer. Doing so will allow you to answer questions swiftly and easily.
- Read: Make it a habit to read newspapers, magazines, journals and novels. Also, study English grammar books to tweak your grammar and writing skills.
- Engage in English-based activities: Have fun-scrabble time with your friends and family or spend some time on the Yocket Flashcards app. Adapt to the engaging method of play-way learning.
- Take at least 15 IELTS practice tests: Taking as many practice tests before your actual IELTS test is an amazing way to master your paper. This will get you used to listen mindfully, speed-reading, writing with flair, and speaking confidently. Each of these activities will make you successful.
- Practice speaking/interviewing with peers: Conduct mock interviews with a friend. Discuss general topics, and allow your audience to observe your style of presenting facts, thoughts and opinions. Discuss if your expression on the subject matter is apt.
- Watch cross-cultural movies: Movies are great teaching tools. They help you pick up on accents and dialects. The influence of culture, geography and the tribe of the population reflects directly in the movies. Thus, watching cross-cultured movies, or movies based in a particular set-up, will help you gauge tones, accents and speaking style.
- Use adjectives and verbs: A major part of the IELTS Writing, Reading and Speaking test requires you to describe situations, answer questions with blanks, do sentence corrections and more. Thus, testing your hand on a few adjectives and verbs can come in handy.
- Practice an effective introduction: As a part of your Speaking test, prepare a fun descriptive introduction. Talk about your interests, passions and ambitions. Express yourself well.
- Engage with previous IELTS test takers: Find out about students who have already written the IELTS exam. Engaging with them helps you understand what the exam is all about, what tricks you can use to study, etc.
Suggested:How to study for IELTS at home?
How To Conduct IELTS Preparation For Listening Section?
Ensuring you cater to all sections during the IELTS preparation.
In the IELTS Listening section, you will need to listen to four recorded audio carefully and answer the following questions.
To prepare for the IELTS Listening section, refer to the below:
- Cultivate the habit of making quick notes, and mind maps and picking on pointers to answer.
- Hear every word carefully.
- Exclude all distractions and assumptions.
- Answer questions with the required number of words.
- Prepare yourself well with spelling and punctuation.
Suggested:IELTS Listening Section
How To Conduct IELTS Test Preparation For Writing Section?
The next IELTS test preparation you must focus on is the writing section. This is one of the crucial sections of the exam.
For the IELTS Writing section, you have to compose two well-written essays. Make sure as a student, you’re preparing yourself with the IELTS Academic Writing section.
In the first task of the Writing section, you’re required to write a description of a situation, image, process, graph, or chart.
For this section, learn adjectives and practice other tips such as:
- Learn to form easy descriptive sentences.
- Practice writing about 150 words in 20 minutes.
- Polish your writing skills.
- Work on your spelling.
For the second task of the Writing section, you are expected to present an informative discussion in the form of an essay. Along with writing on the topic, you will have to present pointers and views on the requested subtopics.
To prepare for this task, ensure you conduct the below actions:
- Read and practice writing lengthy essays.
- Time yourself and compose 250 words in about 40 minutes.
- Keep a check on your grammar, spelling and punctuations.
- Practice! Practice! Practice!
Suggested:IELTS Writing Section
How To Conduct IELTS General Preparation For Reading Section?
The next IELTS preparation you need to focus on is the reading section.
Read the given IELTS passages to answer the questions. Reading comprehension questions requires you to understand, interpret and comprehend answers.
To prepare for this section of IELTS, Practice speed reading and follow the other tips.
- Keep your eyes open while reading the passages to gauge answers immediately.
- Read newspaper articles, magazines and journals.
- Keep an eye out for punctuations and understand the text appropriately.
Suggested:IELTS Reading Section
What Is The Best IELTS Preparation For Speaking Section?
The last IELTS test preparation for you to study is the speaking section.
For the IELTS Speaking task, an examiner will interview and assess you. Your communication skills will be tested. Your English speaking ability, sentence formations and narratives display a key role. The IELTS Speaking task is a face-to-face interview with an examiner. Therefore, present yourself well. Be professionally dressed. Carry yourself with etiquette.
Speaking of preparing for your talk, you must:
- Prepare a creative introduction to describe yourself.
- Practice posing your views in a polite manner.
- Participate in discussions.
- Introspect and form your views on current affairs.
- Inculcate the habit of politely greeting your interviewer.
- Don’t forget to work on your body language. Body language is an important form of communication. Thus, make sure you’re carrying yourself with utmost decency.
Suggested:IELTS Speaking Section
Top Books To Consider For IELTS Test Preparation
When it comes to IELTS resources, there are tons of books and IELTS exam preparation online resources available. Most students prepare for this exam while sitting at the comfort of their homes. If you’re one of them, here is a list of the top IELTS resources you should consider:
- Barron's IELTS Superpack
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Cambridge IELTS 16 Academic Student's Book with Answers with Audio
- Official IELTS Practice Materials
- Check Your English Vocabulary for IELTS
- Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook
- Collins English for IELTS
Note: All these books are available on Amazon.
A good IELTS score can help determine or rather enhance your admission process. Thus it is important for you to structure your IELTS academic presentation well. Now that you have the best way to prepare for IELTS, it’s time to start. However, if you wish to receive guidance on which university you should send your IELTS scores to, connecting with our Yocket counsellors will help.
Frequently Asked Questions About IELTS Exam Preparation
Ques: Is 1 week enough for IELTS academic test preparation?
Ans: 1-week is too short to conduct IELTS preparation. It is always better to start early, give yourself enough time to learn everything, and be confident when you attend the actual exam.
Ques: Can I prepare for IELTS general test preparation in 10 days?
Ans: Yes, you can conduct the best IELTS preparation plans within 10 days. However, it is suggested to conduct IELTS exam preparation months prior as it gives you time to conduct multiple mock tests, clear doubts, etc.
Ques: Can I retake IELTS Speaking only?
Ans: Yes, as per the recent 2023 rules, students who score less in any IELTS section can attempt this exam only for those sections.
Ques: Can I take IELTS exam at home?
Ans: Yes, you can take IELTS exam at home. Ensure you cater to all the tricks and tips of how to preparation for IELTS exam.
Ques: Is phone allowed in IELTS speaking?
Ans: Yes, you can bring a phone during IELTS speaking but ensure the mobile is switched off.