If you consider graduating abroad, you will have to select a country, university/course, and understand the application/admission requirements. Among these crucial documents and exams is GRE. More than 45% of examinees take the GRE test to pursue a graduate degree in MA, MS, M.ED, MBA, and other master's programs. Further, more than 160 GRE accepting countries evaluate and select the students based on their GRE scores.
But how can we get detail about the GRE exam accepted countries?
Let’s explore this article to know which countries accept GRE.
Table of Contents
Overview and Importance of GRE Exam
Graduate Abroad Examination is a standardised test required for postgraduate admission in English speaking countries like the USA, Canada, Switzerland, Ireland, Australia, and others. It is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and can be taken in two formats computer-delivered and paper-delivered. Besides, it evaluates the students' analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning skills.
- A student needs to answer 82 questions in the GRE computer based-test and 102 questions in the paper-based test.
- Furthermore, the time duration for the GRE paper-based and computer-based test exams is 3 hours 30 minutes and 3 hours 45 minutes, respectively. It is scored on a 340 scale, excluding the writing test.
- The GRE exam improves your chances of getting selected to a university, helps determine your preparedness for a graduate school, is valid for 5 years, and allows you to study with the best students.
Suggested: How to Register for GRE Exam?
Before filling out a GRE application, it is important to know GRE required for which countries? Let’s go through this well-thought-out list.
Which Countries Accept GRE?
Don’t wonder anymore — Which countries accept GRE? There are many GRE exam valid countries. Let’s dive right into them one by one.
- The United States
- United States Territories
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Northern Island
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- West Indies
Suggested: When to Start Preparing for GRE?
Along with these GRE exam valid countries, here is a list of the top universities excepting GRE scores for master's education.
Top Universities in USA Accepting GRE
Following are the universities in USA that accept GRE scores for higher education:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- University of Michigan
- American University
- Boston University
- Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania)
- Central Connecticut State University
- Dartmouth College
- George Washington University
- Fairfield University
- Delaware State University
- Georgetown University
- Harvard University (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Michigan State University
- Ohio State University
- Princeton University (Princeton, New Jersey)
- Quinnipiac University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Sacred Heart University
- Southern Connecticut State University
- Strayer University
- Texas A&M University - College Station
- The University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign
- The University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
- The University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of California – Berkeley
- University of Connecticut
- University of Hartford
- University of Maryland
- University of Massachusetts, Boston
- University of New Hampshire
- University of New Haven
- University of the Potomac
- University of Wisconsin
- Western Connecticut State University
- Western Michigan University
- Yale University
Top Universities in UK Accepting GRE
Following are the universities in UK that accept GRE score for higher education:
- City University London
- Cranfield University
- Hult International Business School
- London Business School
- University of Cambridge
- University of Kent
- University of Leeds
- The University of Manchester
- University of Oxford
- University of Reading
- University of Warwick
Top Universities in Australia Accepting GRE
Following are the universities in Australia that accept GRE score for higher education:
- Australian National University
- Central Queensland University
- Deakin University
- University of Melbourne
- University of Western Australia
- University of Sydney
Top Universities in Germany Accepting GRE
Following are the universities in Germany that accept GRE score for higher education:
- Technical University of Dortmund
- GISMA Business School
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- Jacobs University Bremen
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Ludwig Maximilians University Munchen
- Technical University of Munich
- RWTH Aachen University
- Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg
Top Universities in Canada Accepting GRE
Following are the universities in Canada that accept GRE scores for higher education:
- Acadia University
- Alberta University
- Bishops University
- Brandon University
- Brock University
- Cape Breton University
- Carleton University
- Concordia University, Montreal
- Dalhousie University
- HEC Montreal
- Ivey Business School
- Lakehead University
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- Queens University, Kingston
- Trent University
- Trinity Western University
- University of Montreal
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto
- York University
Now you know that GRE is accepted in which countries. Let’s check out a few requirements asked by them.
Suggested: Best GRE Test Centres in India
What are GRE Requirements in the Top Countries?
There are no specific requirements for taking the test by the countries accepting GRE. However, a few pointers by GRE accepting countries that one can consider are:
- There is no age limit for the GRE exam, so you can apply any time.
- You must have a birth certificate, social security card, or employee ID card for registration.
- For GRE home testing, you must have a desktop/laptop and an approved operating system like MAC, Windows PC, chrome, firefox, and others.
- You must check the GRE cutoff or expected scores beforehand for the desired universities.
- Lastly, you should send your GRE score report to the universities before the deadline.
Suggested: GRE Exam Date 2022
Yocket being the best study abroad consultant, know that the international education journey is not a no-brainer. There are a lot of steps involved in the process like the selection of country, university, course, documentation, loans/scholarships, and visa application.
Besides, if you have applied for the GRE, know that preparation is paramount. To help you conduct an all-adaptive GRE diagnostic test, we present Yocket Prep. This verbal and quantitative test will determine your strengths/weaknesses.
Frequently Asked Questions on GRE Accepting Countries
Ques. Are the GRE general test questions the same in countries that accept GRE?
Ans. Yes, GRE general test has the same questions for all countries from a single test bank. As this is a standardised test, the students need to be evaluated on a fair scale.
Ques. What are GRE country codes?
Ans. ETS has assigned short alphabetic geographical codes for all the GRE accepting countries. Each of these codes signifies a corresponding state, country, and province.
Ques. Are there any MBA colleges that accept GRE scores in India?
Ans. Yes, many MBA colleges like IIM Ahemdabad, IIM Raipur, IIM Bangalore, IIKM Business School, etc, accept GRE for a few programs.
Ques. Is the GRE home test valid in all countries and accepted by all universities?
Ans. Yes, the GRE home testing is valid in all the countries and universities that accept the general GRE test.
Ques. Does the GRE registration fee vary worldwide?
Ans. Yes, the GRE general test registration costs $205 worldwide except for Turkey, China, India, Australia, and Nigeria.