All international students aspiring to study in the United States must acquire a visa permitting them to live there during their studies. For that, one needs to apply for a non-immigrant visa known as the DS 160 F-1 visa. The competition is cut-throat, keeping in mind the huge crowd of students applying to US universities every year. The same is applicable to your DS-160 application as well.
To avoid any mistakes or rejections later, it is crucial to have an in-depth understanding of the DS-160 form and related aspects. In this blog, we have discussed all details about DS-160 form filling, document requirements, cost, etc., to guide you the right way in reaching the US university of your choice.
Table of Contents:
What is DS 160 Form?
If you are willing to enrol in an academic degree program at the best universities in USA, you will need an F-1 student visa. And, the DS-160 is a must for your F-1 visa. There is no DS-160 full form as such, it refers to online non immigramnt visa application. It informs the US government about your acceptance into an accredited university program and that you meet all the requirements to study in US. It also contains your personal, academic, and professional information, travel plans, and contact details when you are living in US.
After the DS-160 form filling, the next step is to receive your student visa is to schedule an interview at the nearest US Visa Consulate. When you clear the visa interview you will be issued your F-1 visa, and you are all set to study in the US.
Who Needs DS-160 Form?
Anyone coming to the US for work or study purposes, or even to travel for an extended period, completing the DS-160 application is a must. It has all the basic information to give the US government an idea of the purpose of your visit and determine whether or not it is safe. It also gives them an overview of how you will spend your time in the country.
Hence, all the visitors willing to stay for an extended period of time in the US, but only temporarily, require to fill DS-160 visa application form.
Suggested: Everything About STEM Courses in USA
What are DS-160 Requirements?
Before you fill the DS-160 form online, you should have all the documents ready. Apart from that your computer system must have Internet Explorer 11, or higher, Firefox, or Google Chrome 58. Browsers like Safari and Microsoft Edge are not supported for DS-160 applications. So, make sure you have the appropriate browsers on your computer to complete the process.
Here is a checklist of all DS-160 required documents:
- I-20 Form: The I-20 Form is the most important DS-160 requirement. It is the form that you get from the Designated Official School (DSO), after your acceptance into an academic program. Your I-20 will also have your Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) ID in the top left corner. With the I-20 form, you may start with your DS-160 F-1 visa application.
- Valid Passport: A valid passport is a must to enter the United States and apply for a DS-160 visa.
- Resume: You will be questioned about your academic, employment and training history. Hence, it is advisable to keep your updated resume ready when applying for an F-1 student visa.
- Travel Itinerary: The travel dates mentioned on the I-20 form, details about the beginning of your course and the date on which it will end are some of the information that you need to mention.
- Travel History to US: If you have travelled to US previously, it is mandatory to mention the dates.
- Digital Photograph: You need to upload a recent photograph of yourself while applying for DS-160 visa. The photograph must be in colour and size between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the image's total height from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
Suggested: Who can Sponsor a Student Visa in USA?
How to Fill DS-160 Form?
The process of filling the DS-160 form is quite simple and doesn’t require much time. Although there are translation options, it is advisable to enter all the information in English. A step-by-step guide to filling the DS-160 form is given below:
- Visit the Consular Electronic Application Center section of the US Department of State website, and click the “Start a New Application.”
- Note your Application ID displayed on the top right-hand corner of the page for future reference. Through your Application ID you may continue your progress incase you need to stop and start again at a later date.
- Fill in all the details on each page of the digital application by abiding by the given instructions. Do not skip any questions, or your DS-160 application will not be processed.
- Once you are done, click on the “Sign Application” icon to sign the form digitally.
- Before clicking on the submit button, carefully re-check your application form.
- Once you submit your duly filled application, you will see a confirmation page on your screen with a barcode.
So, this was in brief about filling the DS-160 visa application form. To have an in-depth understanding of the process with samples, check out our Simple Steps to Fill DS-160 Form for US Student Visa blog now!
What is DS-160 Form Cost?
The DS-160 price is $160, which covers the entire cost to submit your DS-160 F-1 visa application to the US government. Many students confuse the DS-160 cost with the SEVIS I-901 fee. For the latter, you need to pay a different fee of $350.
For the DS-160 form, you need not pay any further for your upcoming interview.
Suggested: Visa Process for US and Section 221 G
The US visa application is a long process that requires a number of documents. Although it is simple, yet time-consuming. To avoid any hassles, make sure to fill in authentic information in your application. We hope this blog could give you a fair idea of how to fill DS-160 form and related details. For further guidance and assistance, sign up on Yocket and ease up your process to study in US.
Frequently Asked Questions About DS-160 Form
Ques. What is DS-160 validity?
Ans. The DS 160 form is valid for 30 days from the day you begin its application process. Make sure you complete the form on time, or else you will need to start from the beginning..
Ques. What are DS-160 digital photo specifications?
Ans. The digital photo for your DS-160 form must be:
- Coloured with your face towards the camera lens.
- Have a plain background.
- Taken within 6 months.
- Exactly 2 x 2 inches (51 mm x 51 mm) in size
- With your head 50% to 69% of the total height of the image
- With a neutral expression
Ques. How to submit the DS-160 form?
Ans. The Ds-160 form is submitted through the Consular Electronic Application Center section of the US Department of State website.
Ques. Can I edit my DS-160 form after submission?
Ans. Once you submit your DS-160 application form, there is no scope of making any changes there.
Ques. What does the overall DS-160 visa cost?
Ans. You need to pay $160 to apply for a DS-160 visa. It is an inclusive cost for the application process and interview.