Since August 2012, the VISA norms have changed. In the new procedure, students have to book an apointment for the VISA Application Centre a.k.a Biometrics (photo + fingerprints) followed by booking an appointment for the VISA interview.
How to Apply for F1 Student Visa:
Registration at the designated bank/s
Attending Visa Interview
Below are the steps one has to follow for applying a Student (F1) VISA.
Step 1: DS-160 Form
The DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronics Application, is a fully integrated online application form that is used to collect the necessary application information from a person seeking a nonimmigrant visa for temporary travel to the United States.
You can fill the DS-160 form here: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
- Complete DS-160 online application form.
- Print the DS-160 barcode confirmation sheet at the end of the DS-160 application on a laser printer.
- After you have printed it, email the confirmation page to yourself so you have a backup copy.
Step 2: Registration at the designated bank/s
- The fee for application of Student F1 Visa is USD 160 + VFS service charge + Bank charges which makes it a total amount, approx. Rs. 11,200/-
- The amount is payable by cash or DD/Cheque at Axis Bank or Citi Bank.
- The bank will issue you a visa fee receipt in duplicate which will have a 10 digit barcode number affixed on it. You require this barcode number to schedule your VISA interview appointment. It takes two days for the barcode to get activated.
- The above fees are not refundable.
- You must appear for US VISA interview within 1 year (365 days) from the date you purchased your fee receipt from Axis Bank or Citi Bank.
- If you do not appear for an interview within one year after the purchase of your fee receipt, it will no longer be valid.
Step 3: SEVIS FEE
- Pay the SEVIS (Service and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee which is USD 200 on the following link: https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/
- Please print the SEVIS receipt.
Step 4: VISA Appointment
1. Make your VISA appointment using your barcode and fee receipt.
2. Once you have scheduled your VISA interview date, you need to book an appointment for the VAC (biometrics: photo + fingerprint) atleast a day before the interview. You can use the above link to book the VAC schedule.
Following are the things required while booking the VAC appointment:
- Your passport number
- The date you paid your fee
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page
3. On the VAC day, you need to get:
- A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions)
- Your DS-160 confirmation page
- Your appointment confirmation page
4. On the VISA interivew day, you need to get
- A printed copy of your appointment letter
- Your DS-160 confirmation page, and one photograph taken within the last six months
- Your current and all old passports, and
- Original visa fee payment receipt
NOTE: If denied visa previously please complete a new Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form