Duolingo – the language learning website – is a relatively new entrant in the realm of English proficiency examination hosts. The Duolingo English Test aims to analyse a non-native speaker’s English language proficiency and skills. Owing to its relevance the test has been gaining prominence in the sphere of foreign education. And students’ Duolingo English Test scores are becoming an important component of their university application.
In this article we have acknowledged all the various aspects of Duolingo English Test results, so that as an international student you can be more informed before you attempt the test.
Duolingo English Test’s Scoring Methodology
To accurately evaluate a student’s proficiency, Duolingo English Test results are based on an adaptive testing pattern. In an adaptive test, the questions are presented to the student depending on their answers to the former questions. Every time a student answers a question correctly, the subsequent questions keep getting difficult. If a question is answered incorrectly, the next question presented is easier until the student gets the answer right and this process continues until the end of the test.
Adaptive tests are considered to be more precise and fairer as they are customised based on the student’s proficiency and give better insights into a student’s language ability. Additionally, the computerised adaptive testing also helps to comprehensively evaluate the English language skills within Duolingo English Test’s short test duration of 60-minutes.
Suggested: Duolingo Accepted Universities in UK
Duolingo English Test Score Range
Duolingo English test results has a detailed and unique scoring system that analyses the test-taker’s proficiency in a combination of different components. The Duolingo score is aligned with the international standard of language proficiency that is the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
The overall Duolingo English test scores for the test are reported on a scale of 10 to 160. The Duolingo minimum score is 10 and it increases in multiples of 5 like 15, 20-25, 30-40, 40-50, up until maximum score which is 155-160.
How to Access Duolingo Test Score?
The Duolingo results are shared on the same email ID as provided during Duolingo English Test registration. You can also check your Duolingo English test results on their official website. If you have taken the test multiple times, you can access your test history to see how your Duolingo results compare to the former attempts.
What Is a Good Duolingo English Test Score?
Duolingo test score is one of the factors that would help decide your acceptance into a college or university abroad. But there is no defined standard for a bad or good Duolingo English Test score.
International universities define their acceptable Duolingo English test scores and percentile as part of their admission criteria. Thus, your target Duolingo test score should depend upon the university and discipline you want to apply to.
The Duolingo English Test score range is categorised into four sections that depict the proficiency level of a test-taker. The score sections are as follows-
- Basic: A Duolingo test score between 10-55 indicates a basic understanding of the English words and phrases and demonstrates an ability to express oneself in a familiar context. Scorers in this range can understand straightforward information.
- Intermediate: A Duolingo score between 60-85 is classified as an intermediate English speaker. Students within this range can accomplish routine matters of work and school and can express themselves with some hesitation.
- Upper-Intermediate: A Duolingo test score between 90-115 means the applicant is an upper-intermediate student who can converse on unfamiliar topics, can understand ideas behind both concrete as well as abstract writing and can interact with proficient speakers with ease.
- Advanced: A Duolingo score between 125-160 indicates an advanced applicant whose command over the language allows them to understand demanding written and spoken language. Students within this range can grasp language intricacies seamlessly and can use it flexibly in various social, academic, and professional settings.
Sub-Scores of the Duolingo English Test
Duolingo’s unique method of calculating sub-scores can be best explained when compared to the IELTS scoring system. Similar to IELTS, the language proficiency of the test-taker is examined based on their ability to read, listen, write, and speak. However, this is where the similarity ends because the Duolingo English test does not examine each section separately but does so in pairs.
To understand the test taker’s command over the language, Duolingo’s English test scores analyses a combination of components because in all practicality these components are not used separately. For instance, if you are conversing with a person, you don’t only have to speak but also listen to what the other person is saying to respond accordingly. This combined testing pattern is an efficient way to determine proficiency as it helps one understand how well ideas are understood and expressed by the applicants.
The Duolingo English Test sub-scores are as follows:
- Literacy: Here the applicant is tested on their ability to read and write
- Comprehension: This section determines an applicant’s reading and listening skills
- Conversation: In this segment, the applicant is tested on their ability to speak and listen through a 10-minute video interview
- Production: This section tests the applicant’s ability to write and speak
While the Duolingo English Test’s overall score gives an idea about the test-taker’s general language proficiency, the sub-scores indicate how adept an applicant is in particular skill sections.
Suggested: IELTS or TOEFL?
When Do You Receive Your Duolingo English Test Results?
The Duolingo English test’s results are shared with the student within 48 hours via email.
Explaining the Duolingo Exam Results
Let us now explain the Duolingo English test scores through the infographic below:
As visible from the image above, the Duolingo test results include your overall score within the 10 to 160 range with a short description that analyzes your command over the language. You can see your score in orange on the provided scale and the yellow part highlights the Duolingo English Test score range.
The test result then goes on to showcase how you have performed within particular sections of the test, those being-
- Literacy (reading and writing)
- Comprehension (reading and listening)
- Conversation (listening and speaking)
- Production (writing and speaking)
The higher the Duolingo English test scores, the better the performance.
The Duolingo English Test Validity
Fortunately, the Duolingo English test validity is long enough for most students to pre-plan their college applications. You can use the Duolingo test score in your applications for up to 2 years.
Several universities have been accepting the Duolingo score primarily as a marker of language proficiency whereas some other universities may require a few additional proofs of English proficiency along with the Duolingo English test results time. Thus, it is recommended that students should check the requirements of the universities before sending out the applications.
How to Send Duolingo Test Results to Universities?
The certified Duolingo test score can easily be shared with the desired universities in five simple steps:
- Log into the Duolingo English Test website with your registered email id
- Once you have logged in to the home page, scroll down to the section that says “Your Tests” and click on the “Send Results” button
- You will then be directed to a page that will ask you to select the type of university you are applying to
- Search and select the university of your choice. You can choose up to 40 universities to send your results to. (Duolingo does not charge fee for sending your results.)
- Finally, mention your university’s application ID (if they use one) and press “send.”
Suggested: Colleges Accepting TOEFL Score 90-100
To conclude, several universities in the UK, as well as universities in the US, are accepting the Duolingo English test scores as a determinant of the applicant’s language proficiency. Since it is comparatively easier and faster, students too prefer the Duolingo English Test. Thus, lately universities that accept Duolingo English Test have been on rise and consequently its results & scores are gaining prominence in the study abroad space.
The aforementioned article sums up all the important aspects a student must focus on before starting out with the Duolingo English Test preparation.
Yocket helps every student achieve their dream of studying abroad and accompanies them in their journey from putting together their college applications, to applying for loans, and preparing for exams.