- The State University of New York at Oneonta is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- In 2015, SUNY Oneonta was named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for its commitment to service and civic involvement on campus.
- For its efforts in blending sustainability and learning, the college received the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) Excellence and Innovation Award in Sustainability and Sustainable Development.
- SUNY Oneonta College Observatory is one of the largest optical telescopes in New York State, and possibly among the largest telescopes east of the Mississippi.
- SUNY Oneonta Scholarships for international students cover a variety of academic expenditures.These are awarded to meritorious students.
State University of New York at Oneonta
New York, United States
Established in 1889
Established in 1889
SUNY Oneonta, also known as State University of New York Oneonta, is a public college located in Oneonta, New York. The university is part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system. SUNY Oneonta Courses include more than 60 undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as more than 50 minors. K-12, Literacy, Educational Technology, School Counselor, Special Education, and Bilingual Education are among the graduate programmes offered by SUNY Oneonta. Bilingual Education Extension, School Counselor, and one post-baccalaureate certificate in Adolescence Education are all available.
Through the Office of International Education, SUNY Oneonta offers semester- and year-long study abroad and exchange programmes in collaboration with institutions in Finland, Ghana, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.
Top Reasons to Study in the State University of New York at Oneonta
Cost of Studying at State University of New York at Oneonta
Average tuition fee
Average living expenses (Bachelors)
Average living expenses (Masters)
Rankings for The State University of New York at Oneonta
More rankings for this university
SUNY Oneonta is ranked 55th in the North by U.S. News & World Report in 2019, and #144th in the Northeast by Forbes magazine in 2018.
Some of the SUNY Oneonta World Rankings are listed below:
- #144 in the Northeast on the Forbes magazine 2018 list of top public colleges
- #601 in the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education college list
Admissions at The State University of New York at Oneonta
Avg acceptance rate (Bachelors)
How to Apply at State University of New York at Oneonta
SUNY Oneonta International students must apply online at the university's website for undergraduate exchange or degree programmes.
Applicants must follow the following steps in order to complete their application:
- Create an application on the university website
- Choose the program you wish to enroll in and fill all the necessary information
- Upload the necessary documents and review your application
- Submit your application and pay the application fees
Note: The SUNY Oneonta application fee is: 50 USD (3,880 INR)
Documents Required to Apply to State University of New York at Oneonta
- Official High School Transcripts
- Evidence of financial support
- Work and Life experiences
- Letters of recommendation
Exams Accepted By the University
SUNY Oneonta requirements for admission may vary. Thus, before they begin their applications, applicants should carefully examine the requirements of the course they intend to enroll in.
Minimum Score Required
21 - 25
1050 - 1180
Know universities that fit you best!
Take us through your profile, study preferences, strengths, and weaknesses and we’d find you universities that are tailor made for you, instantly!
CoursesFind the updated list of courses available in this university.
The State University of New York at Oneonta has an extensive alumni network all around the world. Some of the famous alumni of the university include Marty Appel – author, public relations official, New York Yankee, Bruce Avolio – academic and psychologist, Scott Coffel - poet and Jingyu Lin - inventor of the MicroLED among many others.
Transportation in the city
- State University of New York at Oneonta does not offer transportation services.
- However, public transportation such as buses and taxis are the fastest and affordable way to reach the university.
Services offered by the university
- SUNY Oneonta is a liberal arts and sciences multi-purpose college noted for its great and accessible teachers, students committed to academics and community service, exceptional facilities, and its beautiful 250-acre campus.
- SUNY Oneonta is dedicated to providing distinguished and innovative instruction through a variety of academic programmes, as well as creating a diverse and inviting campus.
- The college is strong in science, math, art, theater, and liberal arts programmes, as well as specialist programmes in Music Industry, Fashion and Textiles, Dietetics, and its longtime Business Economics and Professional Accounting degrees.
- SUNY Oneonta has over 150 clubs and organizations to choose from, catering to a wide range of interests.
- With its small class sizes and concentrated learning environments, SUNY Oneonta is a perfect place with over 100 majors, minors, and cooperative programmes to select from.
On campus accomodation
The 15 resident halls at SUNY Oneonta house over 3,000 students in living arrangements ranging from doubles to apartments.
- Students who are interested in teaching and social justice, leadership, pre-health professions, sustainability, and the outdoors can join one of four freshman Living Learning Communities (LLCs).
University Faculty Stats
The student-to- faculty ratio at State University of New York at Oneonta is 17:1. There are 426 faculty members in total among which 246 are full-time and 180 are part-time. Their efforts are dedicated to providing excellent education and administrative support at the university.
Research opportunities at university
Students and teachers have worked together on a range of research projects, including a green chemistry idea that received a US patent. Students also do independent research on themes of their choice with the help of faculty mentors and share their findings at our annual Student Research & Creative Activity Day on campus. Students with faculty sponsorship can apply for grants of up to 1,500 USD for independent research and creative activity projects in any discipline or multidisciplinary area.
Many students present their research at regional and national conferences, and the Caroline '67 and David D'Antonio Undergraduate Student Travel for Excellence Fund and the Student Travel for Excellence Program can assist alleviate travel costs.
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
Each year, over 500 students complete credit-bearing internships. Through relationships with businesses and nonprofit groups, a growing number of possibilities are available right here in Oneonta. Many of these organizations advertise openings and network with students at the annual Job, Internship, and Volunteer Expo (JIVE).
Placement - Companies and average salaries offered
The State University of New York at Oneonta graduates are placed in reputed companies with a great salary package starting from 51,000 USD (3,958,591 INR).
1. How much GPA is required to be considered for admission at State University of New York at Oneonta?
With a 3.43 GPA, SUNY Oneonta expects you to be in the middle of your high school class. You'll need a combination of A and B grades, with very few Cs. If your GPA is poor, you can make up for it by taking more difficult courses such as AP or IB programmes. This will help you raise your weighted GPA and demonstrate your college readiness.
2. What is the acceptance rate at State University of New York at Oneonta?
Admission to SUNY-Oneonta is competitive, with a 60% acceptance rate.
3. What are the popular courses at State University of New York at Oneonta?
Some of the popular courses at the State University of New York at Oneonta are:
- Professional Accounting
- Business Economics
- Communication Studies
- Africana and Latinx Studies
- Art and Design
- Digital and Studio Art
4. What is the Male To Female Ratio at State University of New York at Oneonta?
There are 30% Males and 62% females at the State University of New York at Oneonta.
5. Does State University of New York at Oneonta offer any collaborative programs with other universities?
Following are the collaborative programs at the university:
- Visiting Program with the SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology for one year
- Master of Business Administration with Clarkson University, 4+1 years
- 4+1 Master of Business Administration with Rochester University