The UK is the 3rd most popular destination for international students, supported by its excellent education, jobs, research opportunities, and healthcare system. The nation offers a good quality of life along with world-class facilities, which is why international students are increasingly planning to get a UK PR after study.
Obtaining permanent residency in the UK offers international students stability, access to a world-class education system, and the opportunity to build a long-term career in a global hub. It provides a path to secure their future in the UK, ensuring uninterrupted access to education, healthcare, and career prospects.
Say goodbye to uncertainty and hello to a smoother path toward your global education aspirations. Explore Yocket Premium and embark on your journey with confidence. Your future begins here!
|Table of Contents
What is a PR in the UK?
Permanent residency, or PR, refers to indefinite leave to remain in the UK (ILR). This is also called a settlement and will give you the right to live, work, and study in the UK as long as you want to, as well as apply for benefits for which you are deemed eligible.
The UK permanent residency (PR) after study also opens doors for an international student to apply for British citizenship. The circumstances under which UK PR for Indian students or internationals can be applied for a permanent residency are:
- You work in the UK
- You have a family in the UK
- You are a Commonwealth citizen
- You are returning to the UK after having had indefinite leave to remain previously
- You have served the armed forces
- You are a refugee or humanitarian protection or discretionary leave
For an international student, the reason to apply for PR will be your work in the UK. To get a PR in the UK after studying, you must have spent five years living and working in the country.
How to get PR depends on the type of visa you hold. If you are working in the UK after completing your studies, you can have a Tier 2, T2, Skilled Worker, or International Sportsperson visa. So apply your PR accordingly.
Eligibility Criteria for PR in UK for International Students
Well, to be eligible for a PR in the UK after masters, you will first have to hold a valid visa and meet the financial requirements depending on your visa type. The following requirements are crucial to being eligible for PR in the UK for international students:
- I lived and worked in the UK for 5 years.
- Your job must meet the salary requirements, which must be further paid higher of the following:
- £25,600 or INR 2,586,160 per year
- £20,480 or INR 2,068,930 per year (when you are paid less)
- £10 or INR 1,020 per hour
- The ‘going rate’ for the type of job you are doing
- Must have a job from the list of approved employers by the Home Office
- You must be needed for your job and continue to meet the salary requirements even after getting indefinite leave to remain. Your employer must provide a document confirming this.
- You will have to take the “Life in the UK Test” if you are aged between 18 and 64 years.
- Fulfill the English language requirements with an English qualification at the B1 level of the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR) or complete a degree taught in English.
Document Requirements for the UK Permanent Residency
Following are the documents you may have to present for procuring a UK PR.
- your certificate of sponsorship reference number (given by the employer.)
- proof of your English proficiency.
- a valid passport or other documents that show your identity and nationality.
- your job title and annual salary.
- your job’s occupation code.
- the name of your employer and their sponsor license number—this will be on your certificate of sponsorship.
A question that may come to your mind now is how to get PR in the UK for Indian students. Keep reading the subsequent sections to learn about the process.
Note: You might have to share other documents like evidence of personal savings, proof of relationship, tuberculosis test, valid ATAS certificate, etc, depending on your circumstances.
How to Get PR in UK After Study?
“How do I get PR in the UK from India?” Now that we have discussed the eligibility criteria for UK PR after studying, let us understand the PR process in the UK for international students. Here is a simple process to apply for PR in the UK:
- Carefully go through all the requirements for PR in the UK after studying.
- Select the suitable application type and complete the application online.
- You will use the SET (O) application if you are living and working in the UK in various categories, such as a work permit holder, dependent of the work permit holder, businessperson, innovator, investor, Tier 1 migrant, Tier 2 migrant, self-employed lawyer, writer, composer or artist, UK ancestry, etc.
- You will have to complete Form SET (M) if you are applying to stay in the UK as a partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in the UK.
- You must start filling out your application for permanent residency in the UK no sooner than 28 days before your qualifying period ends.
- You will find an application for Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within this application, which must also be completed.
- In addition to fulfilling the eligibility criteria, submit the above-mentioned documents and the ones mentioned below required to apply for a PR in the UK using form SET (O).
- Recent payslips demonstrate that you are paid at or above the appropriate rate to be eligible for settlement in the UK.
- Details of your personal bank account or building society statement showing name, account number, date of the statement, name of the financial institution, and transactions by the sponsor.
- Recent passport-size photographs with your full name written on the back of each photograph.
- Next, complete the personal history section of the form carefully.
- Sign the declaration form after going through it.
- You will receive your application decision within 3-8 weeks if you apply using the standard services.
You can send your application by prepaid post, by courier to UK Visas and Immigration, or submit it in person at a Premium Service Centre if the service is available. Guidance on how to complete the application and the documents required will be available within the online application. You will also be given sufficient time to save your application, gather additional documents and complete it when you are ready.
Cost to Acquire an UK PR
What is the UK PR cost to be paid to apply for one? You will have to pay the following amount if you apply using the standard process for a skilled worker visa:
- Application fee - the standard fee ranges from £620 to £1,420 or INR 63,040 to INR 1,43,450, depending on your circumstances.
- Healthcare surcharge - this is usually £620 or INR 63,040 per year.
- Support yourself when you arrive in the UK - you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 or INR 1,28,300 available (unless you’re exempt).
However, if you want to get a faster decision on your application, you can opt for one of the following services:
- Priority service: Here, you will get a decision within 5 working days. You will have to pay an extra £500 or INR 50,510 to use this service. The application fee for this will add up to £2,880, or INR 291,850.
- Super priority service: To avail of this service, you will pay an extra £800 or INR 80,820 and receive a decision by the next day after you provide your biometric information. The total application fee for this service will be £3,190, or INR 3,22,160.
From the Desk of Yocket
International students should consider obtaining permanent residency in the UK for several compelling reasons. It ensures long-term stability and security, allowing them to fully benefit from the world-renowned education system. Permanent residency grants access to various opportunities, including job prospects and the potential to build a career in a global hub.
Moreover, it guarantees uninterrupted access to essential services like healthcare and education for themselves and their families. In the ever-changing global landscape, permanent residency offers a strong foundation for a successful future in the UK.
At Yocket, we help you with the tricky stuff, like money details, so you can go to the UK to study without any confusion. Yocket Premium helps you in breaking down the complexities, making it easy for you to navigate the paperwork and meet the necessary criteria.