UK is the 3rd most popular destination for international students, supported by its excellent education, jobs, research opportunities, and the healthcare system. You will get to live and work in a diverse environment because of the large immigrant population in UK. The nation offers a good quality of life along with world-class facilities, which is why international students are increasingly planning to get a UK PR after study.
Wondering, “can I get PR in UK after study?” Why not? If getting PR in UK is on your mind, read through this guide to get all essential details regarding the eligibility criteria of UK PR, the application process, requirements, cost, how to get PR in UK for Indian students, etc, and embark on your journey to settle in UK.
Let’s get started!
|Table of Contents|
What is PR in UK after Study?
Permanent residency or PR in UK for Indian students refers to indefinite leave to remain in UK (ILR). This is also called a settlement and will give you the right to live, work, study in the UK as long as you want to, and also apply for benefits for which you are deemed eligible.
UK PR after study also opens doors for an international student to apply for British citizenship. The circumstances under which UK PR for Indian students or internationals can be applied for a permanent residency are:
- You work in the UK
- You have a family in the UK
- You are a Commonwealth citizen
- You are returning to the UK after having indefinite leave to remain previously
- You have served the armed forces
- You are a refugee or humanitarian protection or discretionary leave
For an international student the reason to apply for PR will be your work in the UK. To get a PR in UK after study, you must have spent 5 years living and working in the country.
How to get PR depends on the type of visa you hold. If you are working in UK after completing your studies, you can have a tier 2, T2, Skilled Worker, or International Sportsperson visa. So apply your PR accordingly.
Suggested: How to Obtain UK Work Permit after Study?
Now you know when and what to apply for getting a PR in UK. Next, let’s check the…
Eligibility Criteria for PR in UK for International Students
Well, to be eligible for a PR in UK after masters, you will first have to hold a valid visa and meet the financial requirements depending on your visa type. The following requirements are crucial to be eligible for PR in UK for international students. So, let’s check this UK PR process!
- Live and work in the UK for 5 years.
- Your job must meet the salary requirements, which must be further paid higher of the following:
- £25,600 per year
- £20,480 per year (when you are paid less)
- £10.10 per hour
- The ‘going rate’ for the type of job you are doing
- Must have a job from the list of approved employers by the Home Office
- You must be needed for your job and continue to meet the salary requirements even after getting the indefinite leave to remain. Your employer must provide a document confirming this.
- You will have to take the “Life in the UK Test” if you are aged between 18 to 64 years.
- Fulfil the English language requirements with an English qualification at the B1 level of the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR) or complete a degree taught in English.
Suggested: Jobs in UK after MBA?
Next, let’s check the document requirements for UK PR.
Document Requirements for UK PR
Following are the documents you may have to present for procuring a UK PR.
- your certificate of sponsorship reference number (given by the employer.)
- proof of your English Proficiency.
- a valid passport or other documents that show your identity and nationality.
- your job title and annual salary.
- your job’s occupation code.
- the name of your employer and their sponsor licence number— this will be on your certificate of sponsorship.
Note: You might have to share other documents like evidence of personal savings, proof of relationship, tuberculosis test, valid ATAS certificate, etc, depending on your circumstances.
A question that may come to your mind now is how to get PR in UK for Indian students. Keep reading the subsequent sections to learn about the process.
How to Get PR in UK After Study?
How to get PR in UK from India? Now that we have discussed the eligibility criteria for UK PR after study let us understand the PR process in UK for international students. The process to apply for UK PR for students is quite simple and can be completed by following the steps given below:
- Carefully go through all the requirements for PR in UK after study.
- Select the suitable application type and complete the application online.
- You will use the SET (O) application if you are living and working in the UK in various categories, such as a work permit holder, dependant of the work permit holder, businessperson, innovator, investor, Tier 1 migrant, Tier 2 migrant, self-employed lawyer, writer, composer or artist, UK ancestry, etc.
- You will have to complete form SET (M) if you are applying to stay in UK as a partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in UK.
- You must start filling out your application for permanent residency in UK no sooner than 28 days before your qualifying period ends.
- You will find an application for Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within this application, which must also be completed.
- In addition to fulfilling the eligibility criteria, submit the above-mentioned documents and the ones mentioned below required to apply for a PR in UK using form SET (O).
- Recent payslips to demonstrate that you are paid at or above the appropriate rate to be eligible for settling in UK.
- Details of your personal bank account or building society statement showing name, account number, date of the statement, name of the financial institution and transactions by the sponsor.
- Recent passport-size photographs with your full name written on the back of each photograph.
- Next, complete the personal history section of the form carefully.
- Sign the declaration form after going through it.
- You will receive your application decision within 3-8 weeks if you apply using the standard services.
You can send your application by prepaid post, by courier to UK Visas and Immigration or submit it in person at a Premium Service Centre if the service is available. Guidance on how to complete the application and the documents required will be available within the online application. You will also be given sufficient time to save your application, gather additional documents and complete it when you are ready.
After going through the above steps, you must have an answer for how to get PR in UK after study? And what is the UK PR process after study? Let’s explore!
Cost to Acquire UK PR
What is the UK PR cost to be paid to apply for one? You will have to pay the following amount if you apply using the standard process through a skilled worker visa:
- Application fee - the standard fee ranges from £625 to £1,423, depending on your circumstances.
- Healthcare surcharge - this is usually £624 per year.
- Support yourself when you arrive in the UK - you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt.)
However, if you want to get a faster decision on your application, you can opt for one of the following services:
- Priority service: Here, you will get a decision within 5 working days. You will have to pay an extra £500 to use this service. The application fee for this will add up to £2,889.
- Super priority service: To avail of this service, you will pay an extra £800 and receive a decision by the next day after you provide your biometric information. The total application fee for this service will be £3,189.
Suggested: UK to Offer More Jobs after Graduation
So now you know how to get PR in UK after study. One tip from our end is that you must be responsible while staying in the UK and maintain the requirements of your PR. The UK has a lot to offer to you, and with a PR, you will have the time and opportunity to study and explore job opportunities in UK.
We hope the guide above was helpful in bringing you a step closer to fulfilling your dream of settling in UK. However, if you still get stuck somewhere or wish to take end-to-end expert guidance, connect with our counsellors with Yocket premium.
Frequently Asked Questions about PR in UK
Ques. What requirements will I have to fulfil to apply for a PR in UK?
Ans. To apply for a PR in UK, you will have to fulfil the English language requirements, financial requirements, and also pass the “Life in the UK Test”.
Ques. How much is the application fee to get UK PR for students?
Ans. You will have to pay an application fee of £625 - £1,423 to apply for a PR in UK for Indian students.
Ques. Is it easy to get PR in UK after study?
Ans. An international student cannot get PR in UK after masters directly. The first step will be to apply for a work permit and spend at least 5 years working in UK. The process to get a PR in UK is quite easy, provided you fulfil all requirements appropriately.
Ques. Is PR in UK similar to British citizenship?
Ans. No, PR in UK is not similar to British citizenship. But once you spend 12 months in UK you can apply for British citizenship. A PR in UK makes you eligible to live, work and study in UK and you can also apply for benefits if you are eligible.
Ques. Can my PR in UK expire?
Ans. Yes, your PR in UK can expire if you have been outside the UK for 2 or more years at a stretch. You can re-enter the UK by applying for a Returning Resident Visa if your PR has expired.