UK is the 3rd most popular destination for international students supported by its excellent education, jobs, research opportunities and the healthcare system. You will get to live and work in a diverse environment because of the large immigrant population in UK. The nation offers a good quality of life along with world-class facilities which is why international students are increasingly planning to get a PR in UK after study.
Wondering if UK gives PR to students? If getting PR in UK is on your mind, read through the guide below to get all essential details regarding eligibility criteria, the application process, requirements, cost, how to get PR in UK for Indian students and embark on your journey to settle in UK.
Table of Contents:
What is PR in UK After Study?
Permanent residency or PR in UK for Indian students refers to indefinite leave to remain in UK (ILR). This is also called a settlement and will give you the right to live, work and study in the UK as long as you want to and also apply for benefits for which you are deemed eligible. UK PR after study also opens doors for you to apply for British citizenship. The circumstances under which a person can apply for a permanent residency in UK are:
- You work in the UK
- You have a family in the UK
- You are a Commonwealth citizen
- You are returning to UK after having indefinite leave to remain previously
- You have served the armed forces
- You are a refugee or humanitarian protection or Discretionary Leave
For you the reason to apply for PR will be your work in the UK. To get a PR in UK after study, you must have spent 5 years living and working in the UK. How to get PR depends on the type of visa you hold. If you are working in UK after completing your studies you will have a tier 2, T2, Skilled Worker or International Sportsperson visa and apply accordingly.
Suggested: How to Obtain UK Work Permit After Study?
Eligibility Criteria for PR in UK for International Students
Well, to be eligible for a PR in UK after masters, you will first have to hold a valid visa and meet the financial requirements depending on your visa type. You must fulfil the following requirements to be eligible for PR in UK for international students:
- Live and work in the UK for 5 years
- Your job must meet the salary requirements which means you must be paid higher of the following:
- £25,600 per year
- £10.10 per hour
- The ‘going rate’ for the type of job you are doing
- You must be needed for your job and continue to meet the salary requirements even after getting the indefinite leave to remain. Your employer must provide a document confirming this.
- You will have to take the “Life in the UK Test” if you are aged between 18 to 64 years.
- Fulfil the English language requirements with an English qualification at B1 level of the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR) or complete a degree taught in English.
A question that may come to your mind now is how to get PR in UK for Indian students? Keep reading the subsequent sections to learn about the process.
How to Get PR in UK After Study?
Now that we have discussed the eligibility criteria for UK PR after study, let us understand the PR process in UK for international students. The process to apply for UK PR for students is quite simple and can be completed by following the steps given below:
- Carefully go through all the requirements for PR in UK after study.
- Select the suitable application type and complete the application online.
- You will use the SET (O) application if you are living and working in the UK in various categories such as a work permit holder, dependant of the work permit holder, businessperson, innovator, investor, Tier 1 migrant, Tier 2 migrant, self-employed lawyer, writer, composer or artist, UK ancestry, etc.
- You will have to complete form SET (M), if you are applying to stay in UK as a partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in UK.
- You must start filling your application for permanent residency in UK no sooner than 28 days before your qualifying period ends.
- You will find an application for Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within this application which must also be completed.
- In addition to fulfilling the eligibility criteria, the documents required to apply for a PR in UK using form SET (O) are:
- Recent payslips to demonstrate that you are paid at or above the appropriate rate to be eligible for settling in UK.
- Details of your personal bank account or building society statement showing name, account number, date of the statement, name of the financial institution and transactions by the sponsor.
- Recent passport-size photographs with your full name written on the back of each photograph.
- Complete the personal history section of the form carefully.
- Sign the declaration form after going through it.
- You will receive your application decision within 6 months if you apply using the standard services.
You can send your application by prepaid post, by courier to UK Visas and Immigration or submit it in person at a Premium Service Centre if the service is available. Guidance on how to complete the application and the documents required will be available within the online application. You will also be given sufficient time to save your application, gather additional documents and complete it when you are ready. After going through the above, you must have an answer for how to get PR in UK after studying.
How Much Does it Cost to Get PR in UK?
You will have to pay the following amount if you apply using the standard process and agree to receive a decision within 6 months:
- The application fee to apply for indefinite leave to remain in UK is £2,389.
- You will also have to pay £19.20 for your biometric information that includes your fingerprints and photograph.
However, if you want to get a faster decision on your application, you can opt for one of the following services:
- Priority service: Here you will get a decision within 5 working days. You will have to pay an extra £500 to use this service. The application fee for this will add up to £2,889.
- Super priority service: To avail this service, you will pay extra £800 and receive a decision by the next day after you provide your biometric information. The total application fee for this service will be £3,189.
So now you know how to get PR in UK after study 2021. One tip from our end is that you must be responsible while staying in UK and maintain the requirements of your PR. UK has a lot to offer to you and with a PR you will have the time and opportunity to study and explore job opportunities in UK. We hope the guide above was helpful to bring you a step closer to fulfilling your dream to settle in UK. Wish you all the best for your future endeavours!
Frequently Asked Questions About PR in UK
- What requirements will I have to fulfil to apply for a PR in UK?
Ans. To apply for a PR in UK, you will have to fulfill the English language requirements, financial requirements and also pass the “Life in the UK Test”.
- How much is the application fee to get UK PR for students?
Ans. You will have to pay an application fee of £2,389 i.e. approximately 2,39,160 INR to apply for a PR in UK for Indian students.
- Is it easy to get PR in UK after study?
Ans. An international student cannot get PR in UK after masters directly. The first step will be to apply for a work permit and spend at least 5 years working in UK. The process to get a PR in UK is quite easy provided you fulfil all requirements appropriately.
- Is PR in UK similar to British citizenship?
Ans. No, PR in UK is not similar to British citizenship. But once you spend 12 months in UK you can apply for British citizenship. A PR in UK makes you eligible to live, work and study in UK and you can also apply for benefits if you are eligible.
- Can my PR in UK expire?
Ans. Yes, your PR in UK can expire if you have been outside the UK for 2 or more years at a stretch. You can re-enter the UK by applying for a Returning Resident Visa if your PR has expired.