Private Ivy League research institution Columbia University is located in New York City. The oldest college in New York and the fifth-oldest in the country, Columbia University is regarded as one of the most prominent universities in the world. Columbia was founded in 1754 as King's College on the premises of Trinity Church in Manhattan.
Columbia University aims to encourage a varied and multinational student and faculty mix, motivate global issues-related teaching and research and forge academic ties with numerous nations and areas.
In this blog, we will look at the various aspects of ‘how to get into Columbia University?’ along with Columbia University admission requirements.
|Table of Contents|
How Hard is it to get into Columbia University?
If you want to attend Columbia, you must be an active achiever. Here are a few pointers on Columbia University requirements for international students:
- Write appealing essays
- Score highly on your standardized admission test
- Engage in extracurricular activities that highlight your skills and attributes
- Do well in all of your high school classes
Columbia University requirements are quite intense, therefore, getting into Columbia is quite competitive. The acceptance rate for the class of 2023 was a pitiful 5.2%. Among the best colleges and universities in the country, Columbia is tied for third place. Just five of every 100 applicants for the class of 2023 were accepted, which is an extremely low acceptance rate.
Columbia University ranks 22 in the QS world university 2023 ranking. If you want to get into Columbia, your grades are crucial. It will take a lot of work to get accepted at Columbia. Columbia University requirements for international students admission are rigorous and hard.
Suggested: Everything About Studying in USA
How to get into Columbia University?
One of the questions that trouble Indian students is ‘how to get into Columbia University from India?’, the admission process is universal for students from every corner of the world.
Following are the steps you’ll need to follow as part of the Columbia University admission application process:
1. Pass the ACT/SATs
To be eligible for admission, international students applying to Columbia University must submit their SAT/ACT results.
2. Pass the GRE/GMAT
International applicants to Columbia University who are interested in postgraduate programs, including the MBA program, must submit their GRE/GMAT scores.
3. Pass the Required English Proficiency Tests
To prove to Columbia university that you are fluent in written and verbal English, you must take an English proficiency test if you are a native of a country that does not speak English, such as India. Tests can be the TOEFL/IELTS/DET exams that the university accepts.
4. Complete the Application Process
You can submit your university application using the official university website. You should upload your high school transcripts, English proficiency exam scores, SAT/ACT results, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and any other papers that were asked for.
5. Pay Application Fee and Wait for the Letter of Acceptance
After paying the application fee, wait for your acceptance letter to arrive. Wait for your letter of acceptance.
If you are selected, then you will have an interview with the university board of directors.
7. Start Your Term
Once you have cleared the interview and secured a spot in your desired course, pay your tuition fee, and off you go!
Columbia University Application Deadlines (2023)
- The closing date for early decision applications is November 1.
- The QuestBridge National College Match submission deadline is November 1st.
- Early decision financial aid applications must be submitted by November 15.
- Online announcement of early decision applicants' decisions is Mid-December.
- The standard decision application deadline is January 1.
- Early January is the deadline for early decision applicants to submit deposits.
- The deadline for normal decision financial aid applications is February 15.
- Decisions on applications for routine decisions are published in late March.
- For a normal decision, the deposit deadline is May 1.
- Requests for enrollment deferrals must be submitted by May 15.
- The final transcript submission deadline is in late June.
Columbia University Admission Requirements for International Students
It's not just your scores and test performance that Columbia takes into account. Columbia seeks applicants with outstanding intellectual promise. They also seek out pupils with a strong moral character and a genuine desire to make a difference in the world. What does Columbia University look for in a student:
- Your marks and courses from high school.
- Your high school, peer group, family status, and support networks.
- overall extracurricular activities' caliber.
- Your moral integrity and the way it will serve the Columbia community.
- Your recommendation letters that provide evidence of your promise and intellectual curiosity.
Columbia University Requirements for Tests
The Weighted GPA you require to get into Columbia is between 4.1-4.5. you do not just need to get a high GPA, but you also must obtain them from difficult classes like honors and AP classes.
But not just your high school grades but Columbia university will also look at the multitude of standardized tests that you will have to attempt to secure a spot in a course at Columbia.
We have combined the score requirements for various tests in the table below:
As for the extracurricular activities, you do not need to go overboard with the number of activities that you pursue but the quality. Be excellent with what selective activities you do.
Documents for Columbia University International Students Requirements
To get admitted to Columbia University, international students must fulfill the prerequisites and submit any further documents.
The following collection of documents can help you get accepted into programs at Columbia University:
- Proof of Highschool educational credentials
- ACT/SAT scores
- GRE/GMAT scores
- Results of English proficiency tests like the TOEFL/IELTS
- Letters of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- USA student visa
- Passport copies
- Passport-size photographs
- Proof of funds
If you want to increase your chances of being admitted to Columbia, start your preparation in advance. Do keep in mind to build a good academic background and be successful in other related tests. Apart from that, be positive and trust your capabilities. For any further queries like ‘how to get into Columbia university from India?’, do connect with our Yocket Professionals.