When it comes to higher studies abroad, the USA is the prominent choice of every student. While it is the most preferred destination across all fields and levels of degrees, its MS program is the top-ranked worldwide. Pursuing an MS in the USA comes with multiple perks and benefits. MS universities boast an innovative educational curriculum with top-class facilities based on the latest technologies.
If you have made up your mind to apply for MS in USA and study your higher education at the top-ranked universities. The first question that comes to your mind is how to apply for MS in USA, what are its requirements? To help you in this, this blog will guide you with the entire application process for MS in US universities, right from the start of your research till the end of your submission of the MS application form.
Table of Content
How to Apply for MS in USA?
Once you have decided to study an MS in USA, you need to plan at least 15 months before the procedure for applying for MS universities in USA. You must need to have a bachelor's degree to start your application process. You can take the following steps to move forward with the MS USA admission procedure:
The first step out of various steps to apply for different US universities is to shortlist your interested universities based on the choice of your MS specialization in USA. This must be done during the months of Fall intakes, usually one year before admission. While the majority of US universities offer admissions in three different cycles i.e. fall, summer and spring in which the majority of programs are offered in the fall semester.
Once you have shortlisted your choice of the university the next step is to check out the application deadlines of the particular courses you are applying for. Mostly, the deadlines of the courses vary with the university. So you need to go through individual departments to know about the dates for the application.
Generally, the application for fall intake begins in September and ends in January. Also, some universities give the flexibility that assists students to apply for the course in plans such as early admission, regular admission and rolling admission.
Suggested: How to choose MS Specialization?
Before going ahead with the process to apply for MS in USA, it is important to check out the eligibility criteria for MS courses in the USA. While different courses have different types of requirements you must have to fulfil the following criteria:
- Must have completed your bachelor's degree from a recognised institution
- Standardised Test Scores i.e. IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT or GRE.
Appear in Standardised Tests
As mentioned earlier, to get into MS in the USA requires you to have standardised test scores. You need to first register for the tests between July and August to get enough time for your test scores. Most US universities require an average score for admission. You can apply for the following tests to get entry into MS in the USA.
- TOEFL or IELTS: It is an English language proficiency test for students who are from non-native English-speaking countries. The average IELTS score ranges from 6.5-7.5, and for TOEFL it is 88-100
- GRE: The GRE test is mandatory for various MS programs in the USA. However, some of the universities have currently waived off the criteria. Ideally, the GMAT score for master's programs in USA ranges from 600 to 740, and for GRE it is 318 to 329.
Arrange Application Process
The application documents are one of the most important parts for students looking to know how to apply for masters in USA from India. The university committee puts a heavy weight on a student's application. While some universities also require students to introduce themselves through some intent and references. An ideal application package may have the following documents.
- SOP: A statement of purpose is the key part of the application process of MS degree in the USA. It shows your interest in your program choice and your goals in life. Make sure to draft a strong SOP that reflects your clarity towards the program.
- LOR: Unlike SOP, a recommendation letter talks about your potential in your previous work or academics. University mostly asks for a minimum of two or three letters of recommendation.
- CV or Resume: Some universities require you to submit your resume with your application. This may contain your basic information such as date of birth, extracurricular activities and qualifications.
- Academic Transcripts: Your academic transcripts include all your previous qualifications from the last attended institutions. It should be translated into English.
Suggested: How to Shortlist Universities for MS?
After completing all the above-mentioned steps, the next step of how to apply for MS in USA from India, is to visit the shortlisted university's official website and start the application process. Here we have discussed the admission process for MS in USA for you to have a better idea:
- Finalize the course you want to pursue and look for the best university offering that course.
- Visit the official university websites and gather information about requirements, eligibility criteria, admission process and fees.
- Start the application process and fill in all the asked information. Upload the required documents in order for your application to be reviewed. This may include your video essay, academic transcripts, IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE test scores, CV, LOR, SOP, etc.
- Once you have completed filling out your application and uploading all documents, you may then pay the fee.
Suggested: Low Tuition Fee Universities in USA for MS
Wait for Confirmation Letter
This can be a very tedious step of the admission process for MS in US. Colleges do not strictly follow any standard practice to send a response for an application form. Sometimes you get an answer within a week while sometimes you could have to wait for upto two months. You may also check the application status at the university website.
Apply for Visa
The last step of how to apply for masters degree in USA is to apply for Visa application. This must be done once you get confirmation from the university stating that you have been selected. To apply for a US student visa you need some specific documents such as a copy of your passport, English language scores, proof of funding etc.
So this was all about the application process for MS in USA for international students and related aspects. The exact process will depend upon the university you choose, however, make sure that you check all the set of requirements needed in the process of how to apply for MS in USA from India. It is advisable that you must check the official website to get all the information about admission. For further assistance and guidance on how to apply for MS in USA, connect with our Yocket Professionals.