France is the fourth largest study destination for international students offering a favorable environment for innovation and ideas. Apart from growing professionally, studying in France is also an opportunity to discover a multicultural society that leads in fashion, music, glamour and overall art of living. Such an enriching and mesmerizing experience of living in France is what compels most international students to opt for a post study work permit in France after completing their respective courses. In this blog, we will discuss the ways to apply for a France work permit along with the requirements, cost, and latest updates from the French government regarding granting a work visa/permit.
Table of Contents:
Why Study in France?
Before moving any further, let us first have a look at the benefits of studying in France and the opportunities available for international students:
- France is home to some of the best educational institutions in the world. 11 universities in France are featured in the top 500 list of QS World University Ranking 2022.
- France has one of the best representations in the list of the top 100 most innovative companies amongst other European countries. There are 71 competitiveness clusters in France with an attractive ecosystem that brings together universities, laboratories, start-ups,, and many major corporations.
- The universities in France offer around 1500 courses that are taught in English. Hence, language is never an obstacle to study in France. However, knowledge of French has its own share of benefits.
- Studying at the universities in France is affordable as compared to other European countries. Apart from that, the government of France offers over 500 scholarships exclusively for Indian students.
Suggested: Know about Different Scholarships to Study in France
What are the Stay Back Options After Studying in France?
Amongst all other ways, the best stay back option for international students after studying in France is to acquire a post study work permit. In order to get a France work permit, you need to fulfill a number of eligibility criteria. Only then you will allowed to stay in France after the extension of your student visa is over.
There are different types of France work permit for Indian students. They are:
- Temporary Residence Permit
- Talent Passports
- EU Resident Card
Let us now discuss each of them in details one by one:
Temporary Residence Permit
In 2019, the French government updated the law regarding post-study options for international students. According to the new laws, international students may apply for a temporary residence permit to stay in France for an additional 12 months after completing their courses to look for a job or start a company. Although this permit is non-renewable, countries having bilateral agreements in professional mobility with France can extend the permit for another 12 months.
There are two types temporary France work permits:
- Residence Permit for Employee
- Residence Permit for Temporary Worker
Students can avail this France work permit with special skills and achievements. If your work contributes to the French economy in any way you are eligible for it. If you are looking for work permit in France after masters, the talent passport is a great option. You must fulfill one of the following criteria to be eligible for talent passports in France:
- Be a recent graduate in any field and display notable talent
- Employee of a French employment contract on admission
- Research scholar
- Invest in the France economy or opt for a start up
- Efficient in any co-curricular activity
- Have a EU blue card
EU Resident Card
EU Resident Card is exclusively for highly skilled employees who need a 1-3 year residence permit. To be eligible for this permit, you must hold a diploma or degree to prove your three years of higher education or five years of professional experience in a specific subject. You should have the experience of working for minimum 1 year and earn a monthly salary that is at least 1.5 times the French average gross yearly pay.
If you have legally and uninterruptedly resided in France for at least 5 years or are the holder of a European Blue Card, you will be eligible for this France work permit. Through the EU Resident Card you can stay in other European Union (EU) countries too. It is valid for a duration of 10 years and renewable. You will be allowed to work in France and stay in other EU member countries without long-stay visa.
Suggested: What are the Job Opportunities in France?
France Work Permit Requirements
There is a list of documents necessary to acquire a France work permit for Indian students as well as other international students. Mentioned below are the France work permit requirements:
- A passport valid for at least 3 months after the intended stay
- Visa application form
- Copies of all educational transcripts
- Birth certificate
- Health insurance
- References from previous employers
- Passport sized photos
- Appointment letter from the company
- LOR from an employer
- A detailed explanation of the type of work you will be engaging in France
Application Process for France Work Permit
To apply for a post study work permit in France you need to complete the following steps:
- Figure out the type of work permit in France you will require depending on the type of your job and the amount of time you will work in France.
- Once you decide on your work permit, you need to fill the France Visa application, and arrange all supporting documents.
- After filling the visa application form, you will be asked to fix an appointment with the Visa Application Centre to verify your documents and biometrics (VAC).
- Once everything is done and approved you may submit your application. You must also submit your Biometrics information on the day of your appointments at the VAC (fingerprints and digital photograph).
- As you complete the Frace work permit application process, it’s your time to wait for the judgment of the Embassy or Consulate patiently.
Suggested: How to Apply for PR in France?
What is the France Work Permit Processing Time?
The France work permit processing time depends with the type of work visa that you apply for. On average, France work permit for Indian students takes 15 to 20 working days to be issued. It is advisable to start your application process early to avoid any last minute obstacle.
Recent Updates for France Work Permit
Now that we know the entire process of applying for post study work permit in France, let us have a look at the recent updates on the same from the concerned authorities:
- As of April 2021, the French Ministry of Interior has been closely monitoring the international workers before granting them work permits. Out of all the criteria on which the candidates are reviewed, earning a desired salary is mandatory for all applicants. According to Statutory National Minimum Wage (SIMC), the average earning should be 19,237 EUR per month as of Janurary 2021.
- As of April 6, 2021, all work permit applications are to be submitted online only. When the concerned authorities validate the application, the candidate will receive an electronic work permit.
- December 31 2020 marks the end of the post-Brexit transition period. At present British citizens should also apply for France work permit through the desired channel.
A post study work permit in France is beneficial for students willing to stay back and kick start their career immediately after graduating from the esteemed universities in France. So, analyze the information above and get started with the process of applying for a France work permit at the earliest. For more guidance feel free to get in touch with our counsellors at Yocket now!
Frequently Asked Questions About France Work Permit
Ques. What is France work permit process of application?
Ans. To apply for a France work permit you need to visit the official website of France embassy and follow all the instructions. Do check for all the documents before filling the France work visa application.
Ques. How long can you work in France on a work visa?
Ans. Your stay on France depends on the type of work permit in France you have. If you want to stay for a longer period of time, you must opt for a long-stay visa or EU Resident Card.
Ques. How much time does it take to issue a work permit in France?
Ans. Once you complete the application process, you will get your France work permit in around 15 to 20 working days.