Ketan Patil Mentor_tag

2 months ago


Can I Work in the United States While Studying? This is one of the most frequently asked questions by international students. Fortunately, the answer is yes, but there are some restrictions. After completing their first academic year, international students are permitted to work off-campus through special programs. Two of those programs are Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training.

Optional Practical Training (OPT):
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a program that enables international students in the United States on an F-1 visa to work for up to 12 months in a field related to their major. After completing their first academic year, F-1 visa students are eligible for OPT. OPT can be completed before or after finishing your studies, but keep in mind that you are only allowed to work for a total of 12 months. However, international students with an F-1 visa who have completed degrees in certain science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields are eligible for a 24-month extension of OPT employment after graduation.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT):
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a program that enables international students on F-1 visas to gain practical experience directly related to their major through employment, paid or unpaid internships or cooperative (co-op) education for a limited time. It must be a part of a pre-existing curriculum. Check with your advisor whether your school allows Co-ops or allows students to work during semesters. Before graduating, CPT must be completed. Furthermore, CPT can be part-time (20 hours or less per week) or full-time (20 hours or more a week). However, if you work full-time in CPT for 12 months, you will lose your eligibility for OPT. Make sure it's paid or unpaid internships or cooperative (co-op) education for a limited time.

The following are some of the CPT restrictions- :
- You must have been enrolled full-time in school for one year while on valid F1 status (except for graduate students where the program requires immediate CPT)
- CPT work must be an integral part of your degree program or a requirement for a course for which you will receive academic credit.
- Before submitting your CPT authorization request, you must have received a qualifying offer.
- Your offer must be in your field of study or major.

What’s the Difference?
The primary difference between OPT and CPT is the time period in which you are eligible for these training, as well as the type of work permitted in each. OPT can be completed prior to or after graduation, whereas CPT must be completed prior to graduation. CPT employment is a requirement for your major that allows you to work in a paid or unpaid internship, practicum, or cooperative (co-op) education. CPT must be required by your major, or you must receive course credit if it is not. CPT is only available to certain employers. Alternatively, OPT is not employer-specific and allows work rather than an internship or co-op, and there is no requirement to earn course credit.

#ms #internships #USA #opt #cpt #coop #studyabroad #USA #work #masters

1 comment

Let’s keep Yocket clean, warm and supportive. Kindly adhere to our Community Guidelines when sharing posts.

A D Mentor_tag

2 months ago

Nice. Detailed article !!!