Industrial Engineering is a branch of engineering dealing with the optimization of complex processes or systems. Its underlying concepts overlap considerably with certain business-oriented disciplines such as Operations Management, but the engineering side tends to emphasize extensive mathematical proficiency and usage of quantitative methods.
Industrial Engineering is concerned with the development, improvement, and implementation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials, analysis and synthesis, as well as the mathematical, physical and social sciences together with the principles and methods of engineering design to specify, predict and evaluate the results to be obtained from such systems or processes. Thus, industrial engineers create processes and systems that improve quality and productivity.
Industrial engineering programs are usually taught primarily through lectures, seminars and workshops, but you may also get the opportunity to learn on placement. The content and structure of each program will be unique each university, but some common modules you’ll study include:
- Engineering cost analysis
- Business management
- Engineering statistics
- Physics for engineering
- Supply chain management
- Operation systems
- Project management
Industrial Engineers aim to increase productivity through the management of people and methods of business organization. They also study management control systems to assist in financial planning, cost analysis, production planning and physical distribution of goods and services. Some of the subjects are listed below:
- Engineering Economics
- Engineering Statistics
- Facilities Planning and Design
- Human Factors and Ergonomics
- Inventory Management
- Management Science
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Production Planning and Control
A Masters in Industrial Engineering typically features core courses in manufacturing, plant design, and logistics. However, specific topics, electives, perspectives, and areas of focus vary depending on which program you choose. Some of the specialization are listed below:
- Operations Research
- Facilities Planning and Design
- Logistics and Inventory
- Manufacturing and Production Engineering
- Management Science and Engineering
Industrial engineers should also possess the following specific qualities:
- Critical-thinking skills.
- Listening skills.
- Math skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Speaking skills.
- Writing skills.
The requirements for a Masters in Industrial Engineering varies across universities. However some of the basic requirements include:
Most of the universities in the USA, Canada require you to give the GRE. Few universities from Germany require GRE scores. However, GRE is not required for admission to Australian universities.
IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
Aspirants must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in the same specialization with a passing percentage in aggregate of the subjects studied at the degree level.
Industrial Engineering scholarships 2021 - 2022
- Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
- Undip Scholarships Indonesia Diponegoro University
- Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program AfDB 2021-22
- UK Dundee EU postgraduate Scholarships, 2021-22
- The South Asia Scholarship - University of Dundee UK 2021-2022
- University of Twente Scholarships Netherlands 2021-2022
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
- New Zealand Aid Programme 2021-2022 Scholarships for international students
- Australia Awards Scholarships for International Students
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
Industrial engineering is a valued discipline in nearly all industries, especially those dealing with manufacturing. Your ability to improve processes and increase efficiency is something all businesses value, so your skills will be in high demand. Popular roles for industrial engineering graduates include:
- Industrial engineer
- Business analyst
- Operations manager
- Project manager
- Data analyst
- Logistics engineer
- Business consultant