Student VISA

Visa Regulations in the UK

Yocket Editorial Team

The visa system is divided into tiers in the UK. Students need to get a Tier 4 Visa to be able to study in the UK. This is a points based system where you need 40 points to qualify.

How do I get the 40 points?

Well, your 40 points are divided into two parts:

  1. 30: If you have a valid confirmation of acceptance of studies which you get for studying a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider, and for having acceptable English language skills
  2. 10: If you have enough money to cover your tuition and living costs.


How many funds do I need to show for the UK Visa?

On an average, UK post graduation cost about £20,000 per year. Apart from that, the government mandates that you will approximately need at least £1265 for each month for personal expenses (rent, transportation, etc.).

For the purpose of getting a visa, you need to show 9 months of living (about £11,385) plus full-year tuition fees in your own bank account. It is important to note that this amount should have been in your bank account for at least 28 days (shown through bank statements) before you even apply for the UK visa.

Always check for changes and fresh estimates on the amount to be shown. Ideally, you must not withdraw that money until you get confirmation on your visa.


When can I apply for UK Visa?

You can only apply after you have received a CAS certificate from the university who have provided you an offer letter. This CAS certificate must be uploaded in the visa application. If you have received any scholarships from the university, make sure to check if the CAS certificate mentions that. If not, this may create problems in the Visa interview. With this, you also need to show the required money in your bank account. When you are ready, you can go to: . This is a long form, you should account for ample amount of time for it, as there is no scope for mistakes.


What costs and how much will I incur in my UK Visa application?

The student visa Tier 4 visa application costs £322. You will also need to get a Tuberculosis test costing about £17. You must get it done only from a certified centre around you, that is approved by UK Immigration Authorities. There are two-three centres in major cities of each state. Apart from this, all student-visa applicants need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge in their visa application if they are to study for more than 6 months in the UK. It will cost you £150 for a one year course and £225 for a 2-year course.  This fee is non-refundable unless your visa application gets rejected. Therefore, in total, you will spend about £500 on your visa.


How Long can I stay in the UK on Student Visa?

Type of Course

Total Length of Course

Length of Stay Allowed

Main course of study (Undergrad or Masters)

12 months or more

The duration of the course plus 4 months, or 6 months if you are participating in the Tier 4 Pilot

More than 6 months but less than 12 months

The duration of the course plus 2 months after the end of the course

Less than 6 months

The duration of the course plus 7 days after the end of the course

Pre-sessional course (academic courses aimed at bringing international students at par)

12 months or more

The duration of the course plus four months after the end of the course

Six months or more, but less than 12 months

The duration of the course plus one month after the end of the course


What are the types of visas I can get after graduation?

International students who wish to work in the UK once they finish graduation, must apply for a work visa from UK Visa and Immigration.  These are the visas you can apply:

  • Tier 2 Visa

Also known as General Visa, this is the primary visa to remain and work in the UK after your studies. It is open to recent graduates with a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD from a recognised UK university. For this visa, you must have an offer of a skilled job (£20,800 salary per year) from a licensed employer.

  • Tier 1 Visa

Also known as Graduate Entrepreneur visa, this visa option is open to all students who are developing a world-class business idea. You will need to be identified and sponsored by your university as having the potential to create your own business in the UK. This applies to all graduating students from any subject discipline.

If you are a PhD student at a UK higher education institute you can apply to stay in the UK for a further 12 months after your course completion date. You will be sponsored by your university but you will have unrestricted work rights, except for some limited professions such as doctors or dentists.

  • Tier 5: Youth Mobility Scheme

Some nationalities (Indians not included) are eligible to apply for a two-year work scheme permit. Find and Eligibility and other details.

  • Tier 5: Temporary Worker

This visa allows you to work in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months. International students in the UK can apply for the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) visa to undertake work experience and internships in the UK after their studies. You can apply to switch from your Tier 4 visa to this visa from within the UK.

Articles you might like