Material Science and Engineering deals with the design and discovery of new materials. This field involves concepts from the fields of Chemistry, Physics and Engineering to understand observations in Metallurgy and Mineralogy. In understanding various principles, Masters in Materials Science and Engineering students distinguish how properties of materials depend on chemical bonding, atomic and molecular arrangements and crystal structures.
Material Science is also an important part of forensic engineering and failure analysis - investigating materials, products, structures or components which fail or do not function as intended, causing personal injury or damage to property. Such investigations are key to understanding the origin of malfunction, for example, the causes of various aviation accidents and incidents.
Every university’s program content will be slightly different depending on the elective modules offered. However, most institutions cover these core areas:
- Fundamentals of materials science
- Design for structural applications
- Design for functional applications
- Modeling materials behavior
- Physics of materials
- Microstructures of materials
- Mechanics of materials
- Structure of solids
Some of the core subjects covered in a Masters in Material Science subjects include:
- Thermodynamics of Materials
- Transport Phenomena
- Mechanical Response of Materials
- Defects in Solids
- Solidification Processing
- Fracture of Materials
- Polymer Synthesis
Some of the specialisations offered in Materials Science and Engineering include:
- Mechanics of Materials
- Materials at Equilibrium
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials
- Advanced Materials Design And Processing
- Electronic And Photonic Materials
- Nanoscale Materials And Nanotechnology
- Soft Materials And Polymer
Materials science should also possess the following specific qualities:
- Analytical skills.
- Chemists and materials scientists carry out scientific experiments and studies.
- Communication skills.
- Critical-thinking skills.
- Mathematical skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
Most of the universities in the USA, Canada require you to give the GRE. Few universities from Germany require GRE scores. However, GRE is not required for admission to Australian universities.
IELTS or TOEFL is compulsory for acquiring a student visa and as a proof of English proficiency.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a master’s degrees in all other fields. A three-year Bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at some universities. A two-year Master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.
Any engineering discipline or related Science discipline (such as Physics, Chemistry, etc.), or Mathematics is a good base for graduate study in MS in Materials Science and Engineering.
Material Science scholarships 2021 - 2022
- Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
- Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program AfDB 2021-22
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
- New Zealand Aid Programme 2021-2022 Scholarships for international students
- Australia Awards Scholarships for International Students
- Global Korea Scholarship - Funded by Korean Government
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters fully funded Scholarships Switzerland
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships
- ANU Chancellor’s International Scholarship
- British Chevening Scholarships 2021
- Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships for Young Leaders Program
- President Scholarship -Lanzhou University
Your technical and professional skills can be transferred across several sectors, including manufacturing, research and development, education, and technology. Here are some of the job prospects available to you:
- Materials engineer
- Product/process development scientist
- Manufacturing systems engineer
- Materials tester
- Aerospace engineer
- CAD technician
- Design engineer