USA: Find Top Universities, Courses & Scholarships flag

Study in USA: Find Top Universities, Courses & Scholarships

Why Study in USA?

With over 1.1 million international students, the USA has emerged as the number one study destination over the years. One of the major reasons for students flocking to study in USA is the excellent reputation that US universities and degrees hold. 

Diversity is another distinguishing factor that attracts students to pursue higher studies in USA. The country also provides ample work opportunities to the students during and after completion of their academic courses.

Overall, USA is one of the most favourable places in the world for those who wish to turn their study abroad dream into reality. 

USA as a Study Destination: Highlights

Here’s an overview of all the factors that an international student must know about when pursuing higher studies in USA: 

Language of Instruction


Average Cost of Study

$45,000/ year 

Average Cost of Living

$10,000 - $20,000/ year 

Sources of Funding

Scholarships, aids and part time jobs

Exams Required



3 times a year – Fall, Spring and Summer Intakes

Type of Visa

F1, J1 and M1 visas

Top Courses

Engineering and Technology, Business and Management, Fine Arts, Physical and Life Sciences, etc.

Types of Degrees

Associate degree, Undergraduate degree, Graduate degree, Doctorate degree

Best Student Cities

New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Washington DC, etc.

USA Study Visa Cost



Benefits of Studying in USA

The vast opportunities that educational institutions in the USA provide are rarely found in any other country. With vast STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) programs and equal appreciation for Arts and Literature subjects, there are many other benefits of studying in USA. The top benefits of studying abroad in USA are - 

  • The USA is home to some of the best educational institutions in the world. The degrees from these universities are recognised worldwide.
  • The higher education system in USA is quite flexible in terms of deciding the structure and courses.   
  • The US colleges and universities offer a vibrant student life. Universities offer a wide range of activities beyond academics in their campus. 
  • There are ample research and training opportunities for international students studying in USA. The universities are well equipped with the latest technology to provide up-to-date education, research and training to their students. 
  • Studying from the best US universities and learning under the guidance of top professors in the world, make students highly employable in the job market. 

Education System in the USA

Similar to what is followed in India, after completing high school (12th standard), students in the USA go to colleges and universities to pursue higher education. The education system in the US offers tremendous diversity for international students. There are about 4,500 accredited higher education institutions in the USA that offer three types of degrees:

  • Undergraduate Degree: It is a full-time undergraduate degree which is referred to as a Bachelor’s Degree in the USA. The duration of the degree is 4 years.
  • Associate Degree: It is a degree taken at an undergraduate level. It is equivalent to a diploma and is offered by community colleges in the USA. An Associate Degree’s duration is 2 years.
  • Graduate Degree: A graduate or master’s degree mostly covers 2 to 3 academic years in the universities of the USA. 
  • Doctorate Degree: A doctorate degree takes a total of 5 to 8 years to complete.

And just like the degrees, there are also different types of higher education institutions in the USA, all different from each other in one key aspect:

Types of Institutions 

Key Points

State College or University

Subsidised by the local or state government

Private College or University

Run by private groups or organisations

Community College

Offers 2-year associate degrees or certificates

Institute of Technology

Offers graduate and short-term programs in science and technology

Credit System in USA

All universities in the US follow the same credit system. The credits that a student earns during the course are taken into consideration to calculate the final result.

  • A student requires 3-5 credits per course for an Undergraduate/Bachelor’s degree. Typically, around 120-130 credit hours are required to complete a bachelor's degree
  • For a master’s course, it is 3-4 credits per course. Around 30-64 credit hours are required for a master's degree in the USA.
  • The US education system uses the GPA or the grade point average, which is a scale from 0.0 to 4.0 to grade students. For a semester, these are calculated based on marks obtained in each course and credits earned for that semester. 4.0 represents an A grade and 0.0 is equivalent to an F grade.  

The most common issue faced by aspirants is the conversion from a CGPA-based grade to a GPA-based grading system to see if they meet the admission requirements. To specifically answer this question, you can check out our other blog - Guide on USA Grading System: Decoding the US GPA System.

Top Courses to Study in USA

Students looking for the best courses to study in USA are presented with a wide range of options. However, there are certain courses that US Universities are known for. Here’s a quick look at best courses to study in USA for international students: 

  • Engineering & Technology 
  • Business and Management
  • Marine Biology and Life Sciences
  • Maths & Computer Science
  • Social Sciences
  • Medicine
  • Liberal Arts
  • Law

The most popular programs that students opt to study in America are:



Average Tuition Fees

BSc Nursing (BSN) 

4  years

$45,000/ year 

MBBS (BS + MD + Residency)

8-10 years

$40,000/ year 


1 to 2 years

$50,000/ year 

MSc Computer Science

1 to 2 years 

$50,000/ year 

MSc Data Science

1 to 2 years

$70,000/ year 

MA Applied Economics 

2 years

$35,000/  year 


2 years

$70,000/ year 


1 year

$60,000/ year 

Business Analytics
Course Duration - 48 Months
Course Duration - 42 Months
Pure and Applied Mathematics
Course Duration - 48 Months
Human-Centered Design+Leadership
Course Duration - 24 Months
Mathematics with Computer Science
Course Duration - 48 Months

Admission Process in USA

The requirements to study in the US for Indian students, as well as International students, can be completed online. A step-by-step process of how to study in the US looks like this:

  • Decide the course you want to pursue and start searching for the best universities offering that course.
  • Once the universities are shortlisted, check out the official university websites of each university and gather information about the requirements and eligibility criteria.
  • Start your application process. Fill out the application form and upload all required documents and certificates. Once done, pay the required application fees.
  • Now, wait for the universities to revert. Once selected, you will be sent an I-20 form. It is the document that you need to acquire your student visa.

While this is just a superficial step-by-step process of getting admission to your dream university, it is a lot longer and more complicated than it seems. But your journey can become a lot easier when you have someone seasoned and industry expert guiding you through! With Yocket Premium, you get not just that but you go through an unbiased counselling process curated JUST FOR YOU.

Chase your dream of studying abroad in the US - just a click away.

Admission Requirements for Universities in USA 

To pursue your dream of studying in the USA, there are a few general requirements for international students to meet:

  • Academic Transcripts
  • Standardized test scores - SAT or ACT
  • Standardized test scores – GMAT, GRE
  • English proficiency test scores (TOEFL, iTEP, IELTS, PTE Academic)
  • Essay
  • Statement of purpose
  • Letter of Recommendations
  • Copy of your valid passport
  • Proof of finances

And if you are looking for requirements specific to the degree you wish to pursue, here’s a glance to take:



Associate Degree

  • High school transcript or equivalent with an average of C grade
  • TOEFL iBT score 60 

Bachelor’s Degree

  • 12th standard certificate with minimum GPA – 2.50 to 3. 60 
  • TOEFL - 61 
  • SOP
  • ACT/ SAT 

Master’s Degree

  • Bachelor’s degree with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 to 3.60
  • TOEFL – 78 to 100
  • SOP, LORs, CV

Cost of Studying in USA

If you are not new to Yocket, you know this fact already: the cost of studying in the USA depends upon the course and university you choose. Your lifestyle also comes into consideration here. The overall cost of studying can be divided broadly into two categories – Tuition Fees and Cost of Living.

Tuition Fees in USA

The tuition fee in the USA depends upon the university you choose and the course you pursue. If you make it to the public universities in the USA, your expenses are cut down to a great extent. Private universities in the USA on the other hand charge high fees.

Degree Type 

Average Annual Tuition Fee (USD) 


$8,000 - $40,000


$10,000 - $60,000

Cost of Living

The cost of living in the USA for international students again depends upon the type of living you choose and the area you choose to live in. If you have a tight budget, it’s best to opt for student accommodation. Besides, some costs are unavoidable. The average cost of living in the USA for international students can, ballpark, look something like this:


Average Cost Per Year (USD)

Apartment housing including utilities  




Dormitory housing

$7,588 - $11,914



Books and supplies





Best Student Cities in USA

With 50 states hosting world-famous universities, the USA offers many options of cities for you to choose from. Each of them is equally excellent in terms of education and exposure. And if you want to have an idea of which city would work out best for you, here’s a quick look:


Average Cost of Living (USD)





New York


Los Angeles


San Francisco



Visa Process for USA

The visa process to study in the USA for Indian students is quite simple. You have to follow all the steps carefully to get your visa without any hassle. A step-by-step guide to follow while one applies for a US student visa is given below

  • Apply to a SEVP-approved institution and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school in the US (6 to 12 months before US study).
  • After being accepted at a SEVP-certified institution you will receive an I-20 or DS-160 form. The form is a must to apply for a US student visa.
  • Pay your SEVIS fee at least 3 days before submitting your US visa application. You may make the payment through online or a paper form. The information about them can be accessed through US Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) SEVP official website.
  • Once you have received your SEVIS form and paid the SEVIS fee, you can book an appointment with a US consulate or embassy in your country for a US student visa application.
  • Pay the visa application fee. It is also known as the Machine Readable Visa Fee, or ‘MRV fee’.
  • The last step is to schedule and attend a US student visa interview. Go to the embassy or consulate website and check for all the required documents that you need to carry to the interview.
  • In all cases, you’ll need to complete the visa application form DS-160 through online mode. Select the location from which you wish to apply and ensure you have all the documents and information required for the application form.

While you did read that the process is quite simple, it’s a lot of “jumping through the hoops”. And that can become exhausting, consequently making you forget small steps that might affect your visa success. Problem, right? Not at all, when you become a Premium Yocketer! Get the necessary guidance to get a sure shot at success on your visa acceptance through Yocket Premium - end-to-end counselling helping you throughout your journey to study abroad.

Check out the Yocket Premium right away!

While this is just the process journey, what about the documents required for successfully applying for your US student visa? Here’s a list for the same:

Necessary documents required to apply for a DS-160 Visa

  • Name and date of birth
  • Address and contact number
  • Passport details
  • Details of travel plans, and travel companions
  • Details of previous US travel
  • Your point of contact in the US
  • Family, work, and education details
  • Security, background, and medical health information
  • SEVIS ID and address of the US school/program you intend to enrol in (as printed on I-20 or DS-2019 form)

checkout documents required for F-1 Visa Interview

A great tip for you would be to make sure to reach at least 30 minutes before the scheduled time of your visa interview.

Top Scholarships to Study in USA

International students are offered many scholarships for studying in the USA. Most of them are based on merit or excellence in any extra co-curricular activity. Some of them may be government-funded, some would be non-government, and some are also university-specific. A few of the top scholarships for Indian students to study in the USA are:

Fulbright Foreign Student Program

  • Awarded to: International Students for Graduate programs.
  • Amount/Benefit: Covers tuition fees, accommodation fees, health insurance, and airfare.

United World Colleges International Youth Scholarships

  • Awarded to: International students pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the USA. 
  • Amount/Benefit: Full or partial fee waiver depending on the funds available.

Rotary Peace Fellowships

  • Awarded to: International students pursuing a Certificate Program or Masters’ Degree related to peace and conflict resolution. 
  • Amount/Benefit: Covers fees, accommodation, transportation, and all internship and field-study expenses.

PEO International Peace Scholarship For Women

  • Awarded to: Female students pursuing graduate programs. 
  • Amount/Benefit: USD $12,500

Clark Global Scholarship Program

  • Awarded to: International students pursuing a bachelor’s degree and demonstrating financial need.
  • Amount/Benefit: USD $15,000 - USD $25,000

Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships

  • Awarded to: Students for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs.
  • Amount/Benefit: USD $12,000 - USD $25,000

University Scholarships

  • Awarded to: Fully-funded scholarships offered by individual universities for both graduate and undergraduate programs. Most universities including Stanford, Yale, and Harvard offer these scholarships 

Amount/Benefit: Varies with the university and program

Job Opportunities in USA

Studying in the US can be expensive for a lot of you but that should never discourage you from pursuing your dream. As you read above, you can always try, apply, and avail financial aid and scholarships to fund your education. Getting a good education loan can help you big time with this! But it is a difficult task to get a loan that meets your requirements and your affordability. 

And if you are looking for a loan that works the best for you? Stop the search right here! With Yocket Premium, you get help with identifying all the grants that can help you support your education. And to top it off, you also get help with loan negotiations from our expert negotiators - getting you the maximum loan with the least interest possible! Become a Premium Yocketer and take the step of chasing your dream university to study abroad, let Yocket worry about the rest. 

Check out Yocket Premium, right here!

And while you go looking for working opportunities while you pursue your degree, the best thing here is that having a student visa allows international students to opt for part-time jobs in the USA. The US government follows a 20-hour work-per-week rule for part-time jobs in the USA for international students

There are two types of student employment: On-campus and Off-campus

With On-Campus employment, it is the work that takes place within the college/university campus. Off-campus, on the other hand, is the work that is affiliated with the institution

Off-campus jobs can be undertaken by students under 4 categoriesOptional Practice Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Economic Hardship and lastly, International Organizations

That being said, some popular part-time student jobs in the USA for international students are - 

Part-Time Jobs

Average Salary Per Hour (USD)

Library Assistant


Research Assistant 




Campus Tour Guide


Department Assistant


Food Runner 




Post Study Work Options For International Students In USA

Once you are done with your education, you will also be looking to get a good ROI on your investment in studying abroad. Most of the international students in the USA hold a US non-immigrant student visa F-1. Having an F1 visa permits them to work in the USA after finishing their studies depending on the course. However, there are certain guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in this regard. So what are the professions that you can take up post-graduating from your dream university?

Job Outlook for International Students after Studies

Here’s a quick look at the jobs after MS in the USA -

Area of Specialisation

Median Annual Salary (USD)



Computer Science


Chemical Engineering


Statistics / Data Science


Electrical & Electronics Engineering


Work Visa & PR in USA 

And once the extension under the F1 student visa is over, students are allowed to stay in the country after obtaining an H-1B US work visa. What does this visa do, you ask? With this visa, students can live and work in the US for up to 6 years

Students wanting to stay for more than 6 years can apply for a green card to get PR in the US. Some ways for F1 students to apply for a green card in the USA are:

  • Receive Employer Sponsorship
  • Check your eligibility for Employment-Based Green Cards (E-B1 / E-B2 / E-B3 / E-B4 / E-B5)
  • Marry a US citizen
  • Seek Affirmative Asylum
  • Participate in military service
  • Receive parent or child sponsorship

Students meeting any of the above-mentioned criteria will get their PR in the USA. Having a PR in the USA allows individuals to apply for all kinds of job opportunities in the USA.

From the Desk of Yocket

Academic study and work experience from reputed universities in the USA, and years of residing in this radiant country, is truly a lifetime experience. It has a positive impression on your life and career to enhance your long-term goals. This experience helps you acquire all the attributes to flourish, both, in personal and professional spheres of life. It is never to start a new journey, that too in a foreign land. 

But the journey starts here - a place where you can find all your questions answered. And in case of needing answers to more questions and seeking professional guidance, Team Yocket Premium treats your dream of studying abroad as one of Yocket’s own. Don’t settle for any university. Pick your dream university and with end-to-end personalised counselling, your dream university will be a lot closer to you than now. Maybe just a call away. 😉 

Become a Premium Yocketer today and turn your dream of studying in the US into a reality!


1. When does the academic season in the US begin?

Ans: The academic year usually runs from August through May. Most universities run with the semester system (two terms) but some also go with a trimester system (three terms).

2. There are so many universities in the US, how do I navigate through them?

Ans: There are 4500 accredited universities in the US. Navigating through them can be a difficult task. You can try the Grad School Finder tool here. You can then discuss the results of the Grad School Finder with seniors or other peers on Yocket discussions or read reviews of universities on Yocket. You should also check the accreditation of the universities on the official government website.

3. Is it possible to apply for Masters with a three-year Bachelors?

Ans: This is a tricky question for US universities. Most top universities seek for a 4-year under-graduate study but still there are individual universities (even good ones) that may accept three-year. The best option is to check within the eligibility criteria of your shortlisted university.

4. Which English language test should I choose?

Ans: US universities generally accept both TOEFL and IELTS.

5. Which term?Fall or spring has better internship opportunities?

Ans: Fall has more internship opportunities. Students who enroll in the spring season face a problem of fulfilling 9-month enrolment criteria for companies.

6. While applying to on-campus jobs, what should I avoid mentioning in my resume?

Ans: Your date of birth, religious preference, nationality, passport number, or home address should not be mentioned in the resume.

7. How to get on-campus jobs in the U.S?

Ans: You should be proactive in terms of networking and volunteering. Reach out the university's career center for a job. Getting hand-on tips from seniors also helps.

8. Do I need to take care of the duration I work for CPT?

Ans: Yes, you should. If you work part-time for a CPT for less than 12 months, you can still apply for OPT. However, if you have been working full time for CPT for 12 months or more, you lose your eligibility for an OPT.

9. Can I get my OPT after coming back to the U.S from my home country?

Ans: No, if you had not received an Employment authorization document before leaving, you will not be readmitted after coming back.

10. What documents do I need to come back to the U.S. after receiving my EAD for OPT?

Ans: A valid passport, valid F-1 visa, valid EAD card, letter of employment including dates and salary, and all I-20s with page 3 endorsed to travel by the student's international student advisor in the last 6 months.

11. Can I work for more than 12 months through OPT?

Ans: Students employed by companies under the E-Verify program and studying any of the following subjects can apply for a special extension of the OPT program for an additional 24 months. Subjects include Actuarial Science, Computer Science Applications, Engineering, Engineering Technologies, Life Sciences, Mathematics, Military Technologies, Physical Sciences, and other STEM Designated Degree Programs

12. Why is a labor condition attestation (LCA) required for an H-1B visa?

Ans: It ensures that you get salaries and benefits at par with other American counterparts and you are not exploited by U.S. companies.

13. Will I be able to fit the U.S. culture as an international student?

Ans: U.S. universities welcome international students with open arms. They provide lots of support with clubs for students from each country as well as offices for international students. There are so many ways to enjoy life on campus. With universities being bigger than some actual cities, the activities and student clubs can be really interesting to take part in. Also, students are exposed to so many cultures and different types of people. It helps them grow individually as well.

14. Is the U.S. education system flexible?

Ans: As a student, you have the flexibility of working and pursuing extra-curricular activities while studying the course. Also, you can take up classes at night if it isn't feasible for you to take classes during the day (like if you have a job or child that you need to care for).

15. Where is the end date of CPT mentioned?

Ans: It is mentioned in the I-20 form. CPt needs to be a part of studies.