How to prepare for IELTS at home is a common question among aspirants planning to study abroad. Almost every year, lakhs of students spend months worrying about how to start IELTS preparation at home. But if you are among them, know that your preparation starts once you have set your eyes on a dream university. Now the question that comes to your mind is should I enrol at a coaching institute or prepare at home?
The good news is that with the right methodological, systematic planning and in-depth research about the test, the IELTS self-preparation at home will also fetch you a good score. You may ask, how can I prepare for IELTS at home? To help you with this, we have prepared a guide on how to start IELTS preparation at home for beginners, along with their available resources.
|Table of Contents|
Overview of IELTS Exam Preparation
IELTS exam is a gateway to pursuing higher studies in study abroad destinations. These scores are mandatory for every international student to get admission to any university in study abroad destinations. And the best way to begin your IELTS self-preparation is by inculcating the habit of speaking and writing in English.
But sometimes, hailing from non-speaking countries like India, students may think and communicate in their own language. They often translate thoughts into English, and by doing so, they commit some errors. So consistent practice and zeal for the dream university can help you score better.
Most universities require students to have both IELTS and GRE qualifications for master's courses. While English Language Proficiency test is mandatory for all students from non-English speaking countries, a good GRE score displays one’s abilities and skills to take up a master's program at top universities abroad. Studying abroad in itself is a long journey, and preparing for multiple exams can sometimes be exhausting. But how about preparing for 2 tests together? Yes, you read it right!
Do you know both the tests have similarities in quite a few ways? The Writing Task 2 of IELTS and GRE AWA Issue Essay have the same approach, the only difference is the difficulty level of the latter. Both tasks ask for your opinion on social issues in different time limits and word counts. Hence you can prepare for both tests simultaneously. And, what better way to prepare for GRE than Yocket GRE Prep? Take our diagnostic test and enhance your GRE prep through section-wise analysis, customised practice tests and more for FREE!
Now that you have an overview of IELTS preparation let's discuss how to prepare for IELTS at home:
How to Self Prepare for IELTS Examination at Home
Before starting your first step towards how to start IELTS preparation at home, you need first to understand its exam pattern and know each section of the test. As many international students pick some professional institutions for IELTS, here we have some strategies to use on your IELTS self study plan:
- Know the IELTS Test: Getting every bit of information about the IELTS test will help you to stay on track with how to study for IELTS exam at home.
- Understand its sections and exam patterns: The IELTS tests consist of four sections i.e. Reading, Speaking, Writing and Listening. The test scores are based on the rating scale. Make sure to go through the exam pattern before IELTS preparation self study. This will help you to solve the questions swiftly and with ease.
- Develop Reading Skills: Reading is an important skill if you are looking for how can i prepare for IELTS at home. You will be tested on your thoughts, gists, understanding of the rational argument, and knowledge of intentions. Making your habit of reading magazines, blogs, newspapers, journals etc, can boost your IELTS self preparation to secure a good score in the reading section.
- Engage in English-based learning: Engage in some fun scrabble activities with your friends and family or communicate with them in the English language. Adapting to these play way of learning will increase your language skills. Moreover, you can also use Yocket Flashcards to do self study IELTS at home.
- Attempting IELTS practice tests: Taking IELTS practice tests before appearing in the actual test is also an amazing way of how to prepare ielts exam at home. It will assist you in listening carefully, speed reading, confidence speaking and flair writing. Each of these strategies helps you to score well on the exam.
- Use Online Resources: You can also use online resources like IELTS training workshops, guidance sessions, materials, podcast resources etc to prepare for IELTS test.
- Interviewing with peers: Practising mock interviews with your peers to discuss general topics in English will allow you to observe your presentation skills with thoughts and opinions from audiences.
- Watch English Movies and Documentaries: Watching movies and documentaries is an amazing tool in your IELTS exam preparation. It allows you to understand their accent, tones and dialects. Also, it influences the cross-culture, geography and tribes reflected directly in the movies.
- Use Adjectives and Verbs: If you know how to prepare IELTS from home, you must know that a major part of the test requires you to describe many situations with answers. Hence testing your hands to use adjectives and verbs is quite effective for you during the test.
- Practise Effective Introduction: Along with your listening and writing tests, you must have to go through Speaking tests too. For this, you can prepare a descriptive introduction for yourself, talking about your interests, passions and goals for studying abroad. Try to express yourself well before the invigilator.
So these are some important self-preparation methods on how to start IELTS preparation at home. Let's look at tips on how to prepare for IELTS at home for international students:
Tips on IELTS Exam Preparation Without Coaching
Working on IELTS English skills may seem a bit difficult for you in the beginning, but with some effort and practice, you can achieve a good command of your language. And if you are searching for how can I prepare for IELTS at home, here we have given some tips on how to prepare IELTS exam at home for each section:
The IELTS listening section requires you to listen to four different pieces of audio carefully and give the answers according to them.
- You can develop your habits of note-making, mind mapping and searching pointers for answers.
- Try to hear every word carefully
- Avoid all distractions and assumptions while listening.
- Provide answers without specified limits.
- Prepare well and exclude spelling mistakes and punctuation errors.
IELTS reading section includes passage-based questions testing your understanding, interpretation and comprehension of the answers.
- During reading, keep your eyes open as it helps you give answers immediately.
- Read blogs, newspapers, journals and magazines regularly.
- Make sure to keep an eye on punctuation and understand texts appropriately.
The IELTS writing section includes two essays requiring you to describe a given situation, process, graph and chart.
- Read and practice descriptive essays
- Allocate time to write an essay within the given time.
- Mark your grammar, and punctuation mistakes and improve them.
IELTS speaking section assesses your interview and communication skills. The invigilator checks your speaking ability, sentence formations and narratives etc.
- You can prepare a creative introduction about yourself.
- Practice how to ask questions firmly.
- Engages in debates and discussion groups.
- Work on your body language and form views for current affairs.
How to Send IELTS Scores to Universities?
Now that we know how to prepare for IELTS at home for each section. Let's have a look at the books that will help you in IELTS self study:
List of Books to Study for IELTS Exam Preparation
Books are an important resource if you are making an IELTS self study plan. A good book without any errors assists you in preparing well and reduces your screen time. Although the test is in online mode, preparing it with books can be quite effective for you. Here we have listed some of the good books on how to prepare IELTS from home for international students:
- Cambridge IELTS 16 Academic Student's Book with Answers with Audio
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Official IELTS Practice Materials
- Barron's IELTS Superpack
- Check Your English Vocabulary for IELTS
- Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook
- Success to IELTS: Tips and Techniques
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- Collins English for IELTS
How to Reschedule or Cancel IELTS Exam?
With this we can say it is possible for you to score good marks while preparing for the IELTS at home. However, you must practise daily with dedicated perseverance. You have to go deep down to each subsection of IELTS thoroughly, along with the syllabus and the type of questions asked in the exam. Invest in the best books that help you to understand the concepts with examples. Get in touch with our Yocket professionals to get assistance for your IELTS preparation and a smooth study abroad experience ahead.
Frequently Asked Questions About How to Prepare IELTS at Home
Ques. Is it easy to prepare for the IELTS at home?
Ans. Yes, you can certainly prepare for the IELTS test at home, and it can save you money and time too. With dedicated hard work and smart work, you can score very good marks in the IELTS exam.
Ques. Can I self study for IELTS at home?
Ans. Self- study is an integral part of success in the IELTS test. You must first familiarise yourself with the exam pattern, each section of the tests and the types of questions. You also need to develop some preparation strategy to attempt questions and identify and work on your weaknesses.
Ques. How many sections are in IELTS?
Ans. The IELTS test consists of four sections i.e. Reading, Speaking, Writing and Listening. Each section is important for the exam.
Ques. Which app is best for IELTS preparation?
Ans. You can use BBC English learning to prepare for IELTS. This is the best app and a go-to guide for IELTS aspirants for support in their IELTS courses. However, you can also use the Yocket Flashcards app for IELTS tests for free.
Ques. How to start IELTS preparation at home for beginners?
Ans. Below are some points you need to keep in mind for IELTS preparation at home for beginners:
- Choosing the right IELTS tests.
- Familiarise themselves with tests.
- Learning about types of questions.
- Understanding IELTS band scores.
- Dedicated practice with goals.
- Every key detail about the test from preparation to test day.