As part of the selection process for MBA and business-related programs, the Graduate Management Entrance Test (GMAT), a standardized exam for business school entrance, is mostly required. The four portions of the GMAT that are scored individually are the Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing Evaluation sections.
The verbal section evaluates your mastery of the English language, your capacity for analysis, and your proficiency with critical reading. Sentence correction is an important part of the GMAT syllabus that requires utmost attention and dedication.
In this blog, we will delve deeper into the GMAT sentence correction of the Verbal section, and discuss the GMAT sentence correction strategy.
Table of content
GMAT Verbal section: An Overview
The GMAT verbal section assesses your command of the English language, analytical abilities, and critical reading skills. There will be three types of questions here: Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and Sentence Corrections. While these are multiple-choice questions of the GMAT test, they will still need you to think critically, examine the facts, and develop conclusions. You have 65 minutes to respond to 36 questions. Scores for the verbal section range from 6 to 51.
Let us look further into what the GMAT sentence correction of this section entails:
GMAT Sentence Correction
Nearly 40 percent of the total problems of the GMAT verbal reasoning section comprise the GMAT sentence correction questions. Furthermore, sentence correction is a real struggle that requires patience to master. Therefore, understanding GMAT sc is vital to achieving a GMAT score of more than 40. These sentence correction challenges are designed to determine whether you are relying on your fundamental strengths to make wise choices or if you are obsessing over minor grammatical faults for which you lack the necessary knowledge.
Grammar and logical application are both essential components of GMAT sc. To succeed, learners must have a strong foundation in rational reasoning. On the GMAT exam, you can anticipate coming across atleast 11 to 16 GMAT sc questions.
To talk of the structure of GMAT sentence correction questions, they may have up to two errors (either the entire statement or a portion of it will be underlined). You will be given five options, the first of which will be the same as the text's underlined portion. You must choose the option that makes the sentence error-free.
GMAT Sentence Correction Rules
Adhering to the following few rules while attempting the GMAT sentence correction questions will help you greatly in achieving good GMAT scores. The GMAT sentence correction rules are as follows:
- Modifiers the among the most critical part of the GMAT verbal section. These questions typically contain statements that are either poorly put, fallaciously arranged, or describe some wrong terminology.
- The sentence's content must be consistent with the verb. A singular verb must be accompanied by a singular subject and a plural verb must be accompanied by a plural subject.
- Mentioning sentences in questions that make an unjustified comparison. This will make you lose marks.
- There are tests to see how well you understand the fundamentals of past, present, and future tense verbs. These phrases tell us that something is happening or will happen.
- Production of idiomatically appropriate sentences.
- You will also be tested on how to use pronouns correctly in GMAT sentence correction questions.
Now let us take a look at some sentence correction GMAT strategy guide.
Best Book for Sentence Correction GMAT
There are many sentence correction GMAT strategy guides available in the market. Here is a list of a few best books for GMAT verbal preparation that will help you in your quest for success:
1. GMAT Prep Plus 2022 by Kaplan
The Kaplan study guide focuses specifically on the exam-relevant subject. You can use creative strategies for responding to verbal questions with the help of the Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook.
2. GMAT Verbal Workbook 2022 by Kaplan
You may build a strong foundation of knowledge for all of the GMAT's specialist verbal skills with the help of Kaplan's GMAT Verbal Workbook. A selection of key phrases and vocabulary lists are also included in the book.
3. The Official Guide to the GMAT Review 2022
The Official Guide to the GMAT Review 2022 provides all the pertinent exam information as well as actual previous GMAT test questions. The bundle contains three books: GMAT Review 2022 Guide, GMAT Quantitative Review 2022 Guide, and GMAT Verbal Review 2022 Guide.
4. Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course Set
It goes into each topic in-depth, and the books are well-written. Furthermore, the practice questions included in the books are not only original but also difficult. It is one of the best books for GMAT preparation, as it offers an incredible amount of content as well as very thorough practice exams.
5. The GMAT Sentence Correction Strategy Guide by Manhattan Prep
The definitive resource for sentence correction is 'THE' Sentence Correction Strategy Guide. It gives you a breakdown of the problems in the Official Guide and offers a full insight into all the English grammar principles you will need in Sentence Correction.
These books contain tons of GMAT sentence correction practice questions that will help you to better prepare yourself for the actual exam. Let us look at some tips that will help you achieve an even better score:
GMAT Sentence Correction Practice Tips
You must devise strategies to ace your GMAT verbal preparation. Here are some pointers to help you study more effectively for the test regarding sentence correction questions.
- Get the best study materials to aid in your preparation for this section.
- Use the official booklet that is provided for the exam. It provides you with a brief overview of what to anticipate throughout the exam.
- Attempt as many GMAT sentence correction practice questions as possible before the exam.
- Always pay close attention to the sentences.
- Eliminating incorrect replies is the initial response.
- There is a wide variety of study materials on the internet, make use of it.
So this was all about GMAT sentence correction tips and strategies. To excel in any exam you should incline towards working smart rather than dedicating more and more hours. So, use the tips mentioned above to prepare and score well in the sentence correction section of the GMAT. For further guidance and assistance, connect with our Yocket Professionals now!