Arjun Aravind

4 months ago

What are Coursework and Research based Masters degrees?

--> There are two main types of Masters Degrees – course-based (taught) and research-based: ---> Coursework based Masters or Taught Masters Degrees: --Taught masters degrees are similar to undergraduate degrees. They involve a series of taught modules, delivered through lectures, practical and work seminars. Upon completion of these modules, you will be assessed on the skills and knowledge you have learned. --Assessment is through coursework, examinations, group projects and dissertations. At the end of your course, you will be granted a Master of Arts (MA), or Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science (MSc) qualification, depending on the subject of study. /// --This course will suit you if you 1) Like learning through lectures and enjoy studying a wide range of topics and 2) Have a Bachelors degree and want to change your career in a short time 3) Enjoy contact time spent with tutors and fellow students 4) Want to have a well-rounded skillset //// ---> Research-based Masters Degrees: --Research masters degrees involve learning through research. Research-based degrees are viewed as valuable preparation for undertaking PhD studies, with many funding bodies awarding money only to PhD students who have completed research programs. --If you are considering a research master, it is important for you to work independently as you will receive less tutor support than that on a taught degree. However, you will be granted support from supervisors who will help you develop your research proposal. --The majority of your days will be spent collecting and analyzing data. The aim of your efforts will be to have your work accepted for publication in a leading research journal. Assessment on research programs is through a professional judgment of your research work and verbal exam relating to your research topic. --At the end of your course, you will be granted a Master of Research (MRes), Master of Philosophy (MPhil), Master of Science (MSc by Research), or Master of Arts (MA by Research) qualification, depending on the subject of study./// --This course will suit you if you 1) Want to have a research-based career 2) Considering gaining a PhD and want insight into PhD studies 3) Enjoy independent study 4) Like to focus on a single topic of interest /// Hope this was useful, #CommunityMentor #Masters


Let’s keep Yocket clean, warm and supportive. Kindly adhere to our Community Guidelines when sharing posts.